SQL Server 6.5 access via SQL Links as NT Service

> I have a small NT Service which fails while trying to access
SQL Server.
> The following error message is returned.

> Service failed on start: Cannot locate or connect to SQL
server.
> Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist.
General
> network error.  Check your documentation.
> Alias: MPRD.

Is the service running on the same machine as the SQL server?
Does the problem only occur at boot time or does it also fail
when you start your service manually?

-Mike

Re:SQL Server 6.5 access via SQL Links as NT Service

I have a small NT Service which fails while trying to access SQL Server.
The following error message is returned.

Service failed on start: Cannot locate or connect to SQL server.
Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist.  General
network error.  Check your documentation.
Alias: MPRD.

In the Service Applet, the structure is as follows:

TableBenefit
DataSourceBenefit
TableEmployee
DataSourceEmployee
TableUpdate
DataSourceUpdate
DatabasePRD
SessionPRD

All the Tables and DatabasePRD points to the same DatabaseName.
All the Tables and DatabasePRD point to SessionPRD.

The DatabasePRD.Params contains the following:
HOST NAME=XXX
SERVER NAME=XXX
USER NAME=USERX
PASSWORD=USERX

The NT Service Applet works when converted to a desktop application using
the same code, Tables, Database, and Session.

Darryl

Re:SQL Server 6.5 access via SQL Links as NT Service

For now the Service is being tested on my NT Workstation which is different
than the SQL Server server.  The service fails which trying to start
anytime.  It fails while trying to make the DatabasePRD active.  But it all
works in a non-service on the same pc.

Darryl

Mike Williams <m...@remove.aps-soft.com> wrote in message

> > I have a small NT Service which fails while trying to access
> SQL Server.
> > The following error message is returned.

> > Service failed on start: Cannot locate or connect to SQL
> server.
> > Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist.
> General
> > network error.  Check your documentation.
> > Alias: MPRD.

> Is the service running on the same machine as the SQL server?
> Does the problem only occur at boot time or does it also fail
> when you start your service manually?

> -Mike

Re:SQL Server 6.5 access via SQL Links as NT Service

> For now the Service is being tested on my NT Workstation which
is different
> than the SQL Server server.  The service fails which trying to
start
> anytime.  It fails while trying to make the DatabasePRD active.
But it all
> works in a non-service on the same pc.

Does the service log in with a special account?  Is the service
allowed to interact with the desktop?  Does it have any forms?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just throwing out things to look
at.

-Mike

Re:SQL Server 6.5 access via SQL Links as NT Service

I've tried logging in as a local account and using the special account with
SA priviledges.  It is not allowed to interact with the desktop and there
are not any forms.  Would it be beneificial to include the unit and dfm
source.

> > For now the Service is being tested on my NT Workstation which
> is different
> > than the SQL Server server.  The service fails which trying to
> start
> > anytime.  It fails while trying to make the DatabasePRD active.
> But it all
> > works in a non-service on the same pc.

> Does the service log in with a special account?  Is the service
> allowed to interact with the desktop?  Does it have any forms?
> Sorry for all the questions, I'm just throwing out things to look
> at.

> -Mike

Re:SQL Server 6.5 access via SQL Links as NT Service

> I've tried logging in as a local account and using the special
account with
> SA priviledges.  It is not allowed to interact with the desktop
and there
> are not any forms.  Would it be beneificial to include the unit
and dfm
> source.

It might be best to try to write the simplest service possible
that exhibits the problem.  Often in doing so you'll find the
problem.  If you do want to post some code just make it as small
as possible and just include it in a message.  Some readers can't
handle attachments.

-Mike

Other Threads