Indexed sequential files

Hey,  I missed my computing lesson on file types, and I have been able to
construct a random testbed, and the other ones too, I am having trouble
finding out how to write them. Please could someone just explain the basic
principles involved? If anybody could find the time to respond, I would be
very grateful.

Thanks In Advance

Jim

Re:Indexed sequential files

> Hey,  I missed my computing lesson on file types, and I have been able to
> construct a random testbed, and the other ones too, I am having trouble
> finding out how to write them. Please could someone just explain the basic
> principles involved? If anybody could find the time to respond, I would be
> very grateful.

   An Index Sequential file operates like a telephone book: you have an
"index" which jumps/calcs into a location in the file from where you
start searching sequentially until you find the record being sought or
you find it's not present.  It implies that the file is sorted in some
sequence from which sequential searching can be done and that you've
built/created an index which provides offsets to "pages" of data.  Again,
visualize a phone book...

Re:Indexed sequential files

In article <MPG.118ee9f2dd88a12f989...@news.primenet.com>,
  mrc...@primenet.com (Mike Copeland) wrote:

> > Hey,  I missed my computing lesson on file types, and I have been able to
> > construct a random testbed, and the other ones too, I am having trouble
> > finding out how to write them. Please could someone just explain the basic
> > principles involved? If anybody could find the time to respond, I would be
> > very grateful.

>    An Index Sequential file operates like a telephone book: you have an
> "index" which jumps/calcs into a location in the file from where you
> start searching sequentially until you find the record being sought or
> you find it's not present.  It implies that the file is sorted in some
> sequence from which sequential searching can be done and that you've
> built/created an index which provides offsets to "pages" of data.  Again,
> visualize a phone book...

Thanks

Jim