Board index » delphi » Warning: WinNT Limitation -> Interbase corruption

Warning: WinNT Limitation -> Interbase corruption

Just in case anyone might be affected:
As soon as your Interbase file exceeds 4 GB, WindowsNT's file pointer
apparently gets an integer overflow. This of course causes Interbase to
OVERWRITE its database from the beginning (=corrupted database). Interbase's
various tools WON'T get your data back - hopefully you have a good backup
solution....

Anybody any idea what Oracle9 might do?

TIA

Martin

 

Re:Warning: WinNT Limitation -> Interbase corruption


You should check the new service pack 5 for NT4 released on monday.
It may be fixed there.

Torstein

Quote
Martin Lehmann <mar...@asu.uswest.net> wrote in message

news:7gn8mb$7e75@forums.borland.com...
Quote
> Just in case anyone might be affected:
> As soon as your Interbase file exceeds 4 GB, WindowsNT's file pointer
> apparently gets an integer overflow. This of course causes Interbase to
> OVERWRITE its database from the beginning (=corrupted database).
Interbase's
> various tools WON'T get your data back - hopefully you have a good backup
> solution....

> Anybody any idea what Oracle9 might do?

> TIA

> Martin

Re:Warning: WinNT Limitation -> Interbase corruption


Martin,

Would limiting each file to 2 GB work okay??

Rea

Quote
Martin Lehmann wrote:
> Just in case anyone might be affected:
> As soon as your Interbase file exceeds 4 GB, WindowsNT's file pointer
> apparently gets an integer overflow. This of course causes Interbase to
> OVERWRITE its database from the beginning (=corrupted database). Interbase's
> various tools WON'T get your data back - hopefully you have a good backup
> solution....

> Anybody any idea what Oracle9 might do?

> TIA

> Martin

Re:Warning: WinNT Limitation -> Interbase corruption


Yes, that's the solution.

Quote
Rea Berryman <fberr...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

news:372F9B2B.81B060C@tampabay.rr.com...
Quote
> Martin,

> Would limiting each file to 2 GB work okay??

> Rea

> Martin Lehmann wrote:

> > Just in case anyone might be affected:
> > As soon as your Interbase file exceeds 4 GB, WindowsNT's file pointer
> > apparently gets an integer overflow. This of course causes Interbase to
> > OVERWRITE its database from the beginning (=corrupted database).
Interbase's
> > various tools WON'T get your data back - hopefully you have a good
backup
> > solution....

> > Anybody any idea what Oracle9 might do?

> > TIA

> > Martin

Other Threads