Delphi Client/Server vs. Delphi Professional for DB2

I am planning to switch a Delphi 3 application from a local dBase IV
data base to IBM's DB/2. I understand that I need to acquire the
client/server version of Delphi to make this happen (I would jump to
Delphi 4). However, I do not need much of what comes with the
client/server version, other than the data base links. Can I use what's
in the Delphi professional version to access DB/2? (I know that ODBC
works, but I would prefer to use native drivers). Is there an
alternative to Borland SQL Links, especially something a little less
expensive?

Second question: I use a mix of TTable and TQuery objects in the
application. I have found TTable objects quite a bit faster for local
data bases. My biggest table has just under 200,000 records. Is it
mandatory to convert the application to access this table using TQuery
in the client/server realm, or would it be reasonable to leave this as a
TTable object? I would like to leave the application alone (as much as
possible), and just convert the underlying data base for now.

Any advice in these questions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in
advance.

Stuart Adamic
Essex Data Services Ltd.

Re:Delphi Client/Server vs. Delphi Professional for DB2

There is actually very little wrong with ODBC, and accessing many DB's via
ODBC is the preferred method - as long as the correct driver is used...

IBM's ODBC driver for DB2 (I believe this used to be called the CAE - Client
Application Enabler) can be a little tricky - but when you have it
configured correctly, it works well.

We use D3 Pro, the BDE, and ODBC for several large systems - multi-user, and
everything works like a charm!

Now, there are several other reasons to get the Delphi CS version besides
the SQL Links - there are several tools designed to make your life easier -
but that decision is up to you...

Out of curiosity, why DB2/2 or did you say DB2??? I guess their new OS/2
database is now called UDB???

LOL, (too many TLA's - three letter acronyms <g>!!!)
--Raymond

Stuart Adamic wrote in message <36995ADC.91E3E...@v-wave.com>...
>I am planning to switch a Delphi 3 application from a local dBase IV
>data base to IBM's DB/2. I understand that I need to acquire the
>client/server version of Delphi to make this happen (I would jump to
>Delphi 4). However, I do not need much of what comes with the
>client/server version, other than the data base links. Can I use what's
>in the Delphi professional version to access DB/2? (I know that ODBC
>works, but I would prefer to use native drivers). Is there an
>alternative to Borland SQL Links, especially something a little less
>expensive?

>Second question: I use a mix of TTable and TQuery objects in the
>application. I have found TTable objects quite a bit faster for local
>data bases. My biggest table has just under 200,000 records. Is it
>mandatory to convert the application to access this table using TQuery
>in the client/server realm, or would it be reasonable to leave this as a
>TTable object? I would like to leave the application alone (as much as
>possible), and just convert the underlying data base for now.

>Any advice in these questions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in
>advance.

>Stuart Adamic
>Essex Data Services Ltd.

Re:Delphi Client/Server vs. Delphi Professional for DB2

Thanks for the reply, Raymond. I did say "DB2". I believe the desktop version
used to be called "DB2/2". IBM now calls it "DB2 Universal Database, version 5".

I was able to use Borland's Datapump to transfer my tables (approximately 100
dBase DBF's) into DB2 with no problems at all. My only problem was that I use a
common index name in many tables, which I will have to change before cutover.
Other than that, the indexes transferred over great, and I merely have to run
through each table to define a primary key, which is difficult to guess in a
dBase table.

I like DB2 a lot, but I plan to test out MS's SQL Server 7, to see if it is as
dependable. I would expect that ODBC should work well with it too.

I would like to know which other tools you recommend in the client/server
version. One other question: is there any way to minimize the setup required on
each desktop? One thing I was able to do with the local data base is keep the
setup on the user workstations (all Win95) to almost nothing -- simply adding
registry keys to point to the BDE on the server. Is it true that I have to
install the DB2 client application enabler, and register it in ODBC (which is
already on every user's workstation)?

Oh, and one other question: do you use TTable objects successfully with
DB2/ODBC? Or primarily TQuery objects? Thanks so much for your help. I hope I
can return the favor someday.

Stuart Adamic
Essex Data Services Ltd.

Re:Delphi Client/Server vs. Delphi Professional for DB2

See comments in-line...

Stuart Adamic wrote in message <369A1637.C5F5A...@v-wave.com>...
>Thanks for the reply, Raymond. I did say "DB2". I believe the desktop
version
>used to be called "DB2/2". IBM now calls it "DB2 Universal Database,

version 5".

Out of curiosity, what are you running this on????? I take it that you have
the big-guns out to handle DB2<g>!

>I was able to use Borland's Datapump to transfer my tables (approximately
100
>dBase DBF's) into DB2 with no problems at all. My only problem was that I
use a
>common index name in many tables, which I will have to change before
cutover.
>Other than that, the indexes transferred over great, and I merely have to
run
>through each table to define a primary key, which is difficult to guess in
>dBase table.

Just as a rule, I never transfer any indexes - I always create those from
scratch in the environment when I have transferred all data over... (yea,
now I tell you - huh!!! <G>)

>I like DB2 a lot, but I plan to test out MS's SQL Server 7, to see if it is
as
>dependable. I would expect that ODBC should work well with it too.

Yes, I liked DB2 also - I used it for about 6 years... however, not that my
customers are a bit on the smaller side, I am seeing more SQL Server than
anything!!! I have to admit, it has worked great for me - as long as I don't
get too "cute" with what I am doing!!! I _REALLY_ like their new SQL Server
7!!! They (MS) has done a great job on this version - overhaluing the DB
engine totally! And they have added more tools for us DBAs too! (I am not a
real big MS fan, but credit where credit is due!)

>I would like to know which other tools you recommend in the client/server
>version.

Well, how much money and time do you have<g>!
If you have the budget, you might want to look into some of the modeling
tools that make maintenance a bit easier... but then again, now with SQL
Server 7 - many of these tools are now included!!! (I am just starting to
test it myself!!!)

But tools to recreate DBs entirely, to backup, timed backups, data
dictionary and documentation, replication capabilitie, working with and
designing ERD's... alot of these thing are now handled right by SQl Server
now...

> One other question: is there any way to minimize the setup required on
>each desktop? One thing I was able to do with the local data base is keep
the
>setup on the user workstations (all Win95) to almost nothing -- simply
adding
>registry keys to point to the BDE on the server.

I understand... yes, I install the MS SQL ODBC drivers, and setup the
clients with the SQL Server drivers/dlls and then I install the BDE also!!!

Not exactly a "thin" client - but they are sure fast as data retreival!!!<g>

I believe the Delphi C/S version allows you some felxibility here - we are
still using the Pro version

> Is it true that I have to
>install the DB2 client application enabler, and register it in ODBC (which
is
>already on every user's workstation)?

Well, this was true in the past<g> - I assume you will still have to do
this...

>Oh, and one other question: do you use TTable objects successfully with
>DB2/ODBC? Or primarily TQuery objects?

I use ONLY TQuery object for everything - SQL Server doe not "play nicely"
with TTables<g> - also I tend to have more say in what happens when dealing
with the SQL directly (i.e. using SQL hints to the SQL parser/compiler to
force what happens in what order, etc.)

>Thanks so much for your help. I hope I can return the favor someday.

You bet! These forums are the BEST that I have seen around!!! There is more
sharing of ideas and code here than any other that I have participated in!!!
(and that is quite a few<g>)

Good luck and report back to us what you ended up with (for a SQL Server)
and why!!!
--Raymond

>Stuart Adamic
>Essex Data Services Ltd.

Re:Delphi Client/Server vs. Delphi Professional for DB2

Hi Raymond,

I muchly appreciate your feedback. You are quite right about Borland/Inprise
forums being the best. I have not calculated the economic benefit of things that
I have gleaned from these forums, but I believe that it would be enormous.

Anyhow, in answer to your questions, I am running this application on a
token-ring LAN with about 125+ workstations, primarily Win/NT, with some Win95.
We have a dedicated database server for DB/2, which is a humble single-processor
Pentium 350 and 256M of memory (I believe) running WinNT. My local-dBase version
of the application has run with acceptable performance on a Pentium 90 file
server in this environment. However, the volume of data and users is starting to
drag it down.

The head office IT group (which must have lots of power because none has come
out yet) first suggested DB2 because the head office runs DB2 on an IBM
mainframe. They have eventual hopes of linking the mainframe and the LAN-based
someday (although to me, this is not an issue). I investigated DB2 and thought
it would be a fine choice regardless. I do intend to check out MS SQL Server 7
in any case. I have heard only positive things about it, although I would want
to wait to make sure it is as stable as DB2.

One thing about IBM products is the five nines: 99.999% uptime. I find that
WinNT is not yet that stable. I encountered a bug in one of my Delphi programs
that consistently locks the keyboard on my WinNT development machine! NT should
not allow this to happen. At first I thought it was a hardware, but not so. It's
a glitch in a drop-down control. MS still has a way to go in my opinion
regarding the development of stable software.

I think that you are quite right in that the primary support tools that we want
come with the database management software. All I want from Delphi is easy
linkage to the DBMS.

I do like to keep the clients "thin," but in the Windows environment, this does
seem to be difficult. As I mentioned in a previous message, I was able to stay
real lean with the local data base, but the DBMS's make this difficult. I have
advised the techies to start exercising and gear up for the roll-out. Luckily
workstation implementation can proceed long before the actual cutover.

Thanks again for your advice. I appreciate it greatly. I will add to this thread
when we get into our test phase in another month, to tell you what choices we've
made.

Stuart Adamic
Essex Data Services Ltd.

Other Threads