FPK Pascal Help Wanted

I hope that this is the right place to ask for help on FPK Pascal, my
apologies if not.

This freeware compiler looks very useful, if only I could get some more
information on its use !

I have tried to read the messages on the FPK mailing list, but my humble
machine will not accommodate that list.

Is there an FPK specific newsgroup ?

How do you tell the DOS version of FPK Pascal where all your files are kept,
e.g. source code / include files etc.

How do you use graphics ? My version of FPK will deal with the CRT unit but
not GRAPH.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

Re:FPK Pascal Help Wanted

BRYAN ATTEWELL wrote:

> I hope that this is the right place to ask for help on FPK Pascal, my
> apologies if not.

> This freeware compiler looks very useful, if only I could get some more
> information on its use !

> I have tried to read the messages on the FPK mailing list, but my humble
> machine will not accommodate that list.

> Is there an FPK specific newsgroup ?

> How do you tell the DOS version of FPK Pascal where all your files are kept,
> e.g. source code / include files etc.

> How do you use graphics ? My version of FPK will deal with the CRT unit but
> not GRAPH.

> Thanks in advance.

> Bryan

I haven't personally used FPK Pascal, and have very little experience
with TMT Pascal Lite, but you should be able to access graphics
similarly, using something like

Procedure SetMCGA; Assembler;
ASM
   mov  ax,13h
   int  10h
End;

Procedure SetTEXT; Assembler;
ASM
   mov  ax,03h
   int  10h
End;

under TMT Pascal and Turbo Pascal 7, I've been successful at using this
to set MCGA (320x200x256)and return to textmode.. It should work
similarly for FPK Pascal, tho I'm not entirely sure if you can use
assembler in FPK..
--
mox...@geocities.com
h...@concentric.net (down)

Re:FPK Pascal Help Wanted

BRYAN ATTEWELL (BRYAN.ATTEW...@Sunderland.Ac.UK) wrote:

: How do you tell the DOS version of FPK Pascal where all your files are kept,
: e.g. source code / include files etc.

The install program creates a config file in the bin directory.
It's an ASCII file that can be edited with any text editor.
You can add your directory behind one of the options in there.
I can't remember which one but I remember it was obvious.

: How do you use graphics ? My version of FPK will deal with the CRT unit but
: not GRAPH.

You must first compile the graph unit and for doing so
install the source of the run time library.

Btw I think it's a good idea to add an option to the above
config file to search sources also in the directory with
the sources of the run time library. Then the compiler will
compile the graph unit automatically once the sources are
installed and you compile any program that uses graph.

hope this helps,
Klaus
--
Klaus Hartnegg, Institut fuer Biophysik, Hansa-Strasse 9a, D-79104 Freiburg
hartn...@uni-freiburg.de   http://www.brain.uni-freiburg.de/~klaus/

Re:FPK Pascal Help Wanted

>: How do you tell the DOS version of FPK Pascal where all your files are
kept,
>: e.g. source code / include files etc.

>The install program creates a config file in the bin directory.
>It's an ASCII file that can be edited with any text editor.
>You can add your directory behind one of the options in there.
>I can't remember which one but I remember it was obvious.

Thanks for this help, I have been unable to e-mail you direct with a
further query.

Could you please explain the above in greater detail?
I have located the cfg file, but, after some experiments it is still not
obvious to me how one should stipulate the paths. Could you possibly give the
example of a path to the include file directory, e.g. c:\include

Thanks

Bryan

Re:FPK Pascal Help Wanted

Dan Heading <mox...@geocities.com> wrote in article
<33CFE1C5.4...@geocities.com>...

> BRYAN ATTEWELL wrote:
> >  [snip]

> I haven't personally used FPK Pascal, and have very little experience
> with TMT Pascal Lite, but you should be able to access graphics
> similarly, using something like

> Procedure SetMCGA; Assembler;
> ASM
>    mov  ax,13h
>    int  10h
> End;

> Procedure SetTEXT; Assembler;
> ASM
>    mov  ax,03h
>    int  10h
> End;

> under TMT Pascal and Turbo Pascal 7, I've been successful at using this
> to set MCGA (320x200x256)and return to textmode.. It should work
> similarly for FPK Pascal, tho I'm not entirely sure if you can use
> assembler in FPK..

The asm synax of FPK is different from that of TP. I suppose it is for
portability. A % must prefixes any registers, eg %AX, %EBP. Addressing
syntax is also different, eg 8(%EAX), (TestVar). Instructions have size
specifier(?), eg MOVL, MOVW.

The docs of FPK mentions Graph unit. Wonder if this Graph unit is useable
or not?
----
Vinson ABS

Re:FPK Pascal Help Wanted

>The docs of FPK mentions Graph unit. Wonder if this Graph unit is useable
>or not?
>----
>Vinson ABS

I have been advised that the FPK graph unit can be used and that the source
code must be present during compilation. The source code is available but I
have encountered two problems.

1) I cannot set the path to the relevant files. If I copy all files to the
fpk\bin directory I make progress, but there has got to be a better way.

I have also been advised to use -UpC:\FPK\RTL\DOS in the config file to set
the path, but this does not appear to work.

2) When I copy both the graph source code and the file global.ppi over to the
bin directory I get the error message illegal compiler switch within
global.ppi

More help would be appreciated.

I would be grateful if any respondents e-mailed me directly in addition to a
response to the group as I intend to work at home for some of the time and
might miss any mailing to the group.

Cheers

Bryan

Other Threads