Non US Keyboard problem?

I have over 100 copies of the program out.  Today got a call from Canada
and the keyboard locks up as soon as my Delphi created program starts
up... have to reboot the computer!  Not a problem (like this anyway)
anywhere else... during conversation she said she had no backslash key,
and had to switch the keyboard to English to do it and did not know
how.... is there a some way my Delphi program is NOT reading the kbd
correctly / how do I correct the situation?  Yes I had her run several
other apps before mine and the kbd was fine....
Thanks,
MD

Re:Non US Keyboard problem?

MDiluglio wrote:

> I have over 100 copies of the program out.  Today got a call from Canada
> and the keyboard locks up as soon as my Delphi created program starts
> up... have to reboot the computer!  Not a problem (like this anyway)
> anywhere else...

If it's a Compaq and it's a Delphi 1 problem, there's a known problem
using masked edits where the mask is numeric.  If it's happening as
soon as the program starts, this would only happen if the main
form's first field is such a field, though...

> during conversation she said she had no backslash key,
> and had to switch the keyboard to English to do it and did not know
> how....

??? Most non US keyboards have a combination of the right Alt and some
other key for the backslash.  I know that the French (France) keyboard
has such a combination...

Hope this is helpful,
Jochen

Re:Non US Keyboard problem?

Thanks... it happens as soon as the program starts... there is only a menu
component on the opening screen (File  Edit  Etc...)  I don't know what
kind of machine as of yet... I expect to talk to her later today...
Mark

Re:Non US Keyboard problem?

Jochen Heyland wrote:

> MDiluglio wrote:

> > I have over 100 copies of the program out.  Today got a call from Canada
> > and the keyboard locks up as soon as my Delphi created program starts
> > up... have to reboot the computer!  Not a problem (like this anyway)
> > anywhere else...

> If it's a Compaq and it's a Delphi 1 problem, there's a known problem
> using masked edits where the mask is numeric.  If it's happening as
> soon as the program starts, this would only happen if the main
> form's first field is such a field, though...

> > during conversation she said she had no backslash key,
> > and had to switch the keyboard to English to do it and did not know
> > how....

> ??? Most non US keyboards have a combination of the right Alt and some
> other key for the backslash.  I know that the French (France) keyboard
> has such a combination...

> Hope this is helpful,
> Jochen

I have such problems for about one month and it is effectively relate to
EditMask.
I use French Canadien keyboard and Delphi 1.0.

I spoke with tech support of Borland and they said that the problem is
relate to editmask and 133 mhz processors and above. Also the problem is
the same with Delphi 2.0.

At this time Borland have nothing to solve this problem and this is very
disappointing from Borland.

Most of application that i have to create need editmask for date or
postal code, etc...
So I can't use those apps on new computers because every computers that
we purchase by this time are based on pentium 133 and above.

I'm very surprise that this problem doesn't come up before because I
think that fast processors are very popular by this time.

So, I don't have any solutions accept using processors under 133 mhz
like Pentium 100 or Pentium 75.
I'm looking forward any suggestions because my developpement station is
a Pentium 166 and I'm very frustrated of always reboot my computer.

Pierre Fortin
Jonquire, Qubec
Canada

Re:Non US Keyboard problem?

> I spoke with tech support of Borland and they said that the problem is
> relate to editmask and 133 mhz processors and above. Also the problem is
> the same with Delphi 2.0.

Say WHAT!?!?!?  Can anyone with the VCL source confirm/explain this?  Why
on
earth would processor speed matter?

--
--------------------------
Eric Lawrence

Re:Non US Keyboard problem?

Eric Matthew Lawrence wrote:

> > I spoke with tech support of Borland and they said that the problem is
> > relate to editmask and 133 mhz processors and above. Also the problem is
> > the same with Delphi 2.0.

> Say WHAT!?!?!?  Can anyone with the VCL source confirm/explain this?  Why
> on
> earth would processor speed matter?

> --
> --------------------------
> Eric Lawrence
> Delta Programming Group
> Delta...@juno.com

I understand that you are sceptical about processors speed causing
problem with EditMask. But that's what Borland's tech support said about
this. We have many computers of many type of processors and when our
apps run on Pentium 133 and above, the keyboard locks.

I really don't know what the processors speed have to do with this but
it seams to be related to.

There is something to do with the VCL source code but for those, like
me, who don't have those sources what do we have to do?

Again, I'm very very disappointed about Borland, they don't have any
solutions. I know that this problem is not new and also I know that I'm
not the only one who experience this problem. Since I upgrade my Pentium
75 to Pentium 166, my development productivity had slow down and it cost
a lot. Also, many users, in our office, who have Pentium 133 can't use
Delphi apps that have EditMask, that means lost of productivity.

I just think about company who have business critical Delphi application
and who upgrade their computers thinking that they wil gain productivity
and they have now big problems instead.

Ok, I'll stop crying... for now.

Pierre Fortin
Jonquire, Qubec
Canada

Re:Non US Keyboard problem?

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997 09:47:08 -0800, CF Jonquiere

<stij...@saglac.qc.ca> wrote:

>I understand that you are sceptical about processors speed causing
>problem with EditMask. But that's what Borland's tech support said about
>this. We have many computers of many type of processors and when our
>apps run on Pentium 133 and above, the keyboard locks.

I would volunteer to help you building a bug-free version of the
masked edit. I have the VCL (Developer edition), but I only have a
P100. I found only 1 suspicious area of sourcecode which I would
modify a bit and send you a new compiled dcu. You could test it and
see if it a) works and b) cures the problem.

Just contact me via E-Mail at
m.we...@public.ndh.com

Hope this helps
  Meikel Weber
m.we...@public.ndh.com
Make sure you take a look at
http://www.europe.de/cebbs/weber
When replying via E-Mail strip the "*" in front of my
address or use the address above.

Re:Non US Keyboard problem?

On 14 Jan 1997 22:58:13 GMT, "Eric Matthew Lawrence"

<delta...@keynetcorp.net> wrote:
>> I spoke with tech support of Borland and they said that the problem is
>> relate to editmask and 133 mhz processors and above. Also the problem is
>> the same with Delphi 2.0.

>Say WHAT!?!?!?  Can anyone with the VCL source confirm/explain this?  Why
>on
>earth would processor speed matter?

My guess is that it has to do with the SetCursor method, which changes
the keyboard state briefly. On a slower machine, you can see the Num
Lock LED flicker. Perhaps on a fast machine the keyboard state changes
too fast for the keyboard to keep up.

The solution is to fix TCustomMaskEdit.SetCursor (in Mask.pas).

--
Ray Lischner, Tempest Software, Inc., Corvallis, Oregon, USA
Author of Secrets of Delphi 2 (http://www.tempest-sw.com/secrets/)

Other Threads