Voice Modem Control? (TAPI?)

I'm just learning Delphi and I thought I would like to build a
telephone answering machine application for my Sportster Voice
modem (the one that comes with it is {*word*99}).

I'm wondering if there is a voice-modem control component out there
which will allow me to do message recording/playback, DTMF decoding,
Distinctive-Ring detection, Caller-ID, etc.

Wild guess:

   I'm not terribly familiar with TAPI.  Are these features supported?
   If so, are there TAPI components that cover these features?

Thanks much in advance,

Eric

--
 Eric Mitchell,  Systems Engineer               Phone:  (604) 231-2518
 MacDonald Dettwiler & Assoc.                       FAX:    (604) 278-0531

Re:Voice Modem Control? (TAPI?)

Eric W. Mitchell wrote:
> I'm wondering if there is a voice-modem control component out there
> which will allow me to do message recording/playback, DTMF decoding,
> Distinctive-Ring detection, Caller-ID, etc.

Not for sure, but I've heard for Visual Voice for TAPI, from Stylus
Innovation. That could be an answer.

Re:Voice Modem Control? (TAPI?)

TAPI supports distinctive ring and caller ID and DTMF - and a heck of a lot
else besides!

TAPI does not support message recording/playback, because that is not a
telephony-level function.  What TAPI does provide is access to the data
stream that the call is carrying.  The standard Win32 stream functions can
then be used - e.g. multimedia stuff like MCI.

I don't know if there are any TAPI components around or not, but it is
relatively easy to call into TAPI from Delphi by converting the C header
file :)

TAPI is pretty complex, but very powerful.  I suggest reading the TAPI SDK.

Hope this helps!

Eric W. Mitchell <e...@mda.ca> wrote in article
<508031$...@mailer.mda.ca>...

> I'm just learning Delphi and I thought I would like to build a
> telephone answering machine application for my Sportster Voice
> modem (the one that comes with it is {*word*99}).

> I'm wondering if there is a voice-modem control component out there
> which will allow me to do message recording/playback, DTMF decoding,
> Distinctive-Ring detection, Caller-ID, etc.

> Wild guess:

>    I'm not terribly familiar with TAPI.  Are these features supported?
>    If so, are there TAPI components that cover these features?

> Thanks much in advance,

> Eric

> --
>  Eric Mitchell,  Systems Engineer          Phone:  (604) 231-2518
>  MacDonald Dettwiler & Assoc.                  FAX:    (604) 278-0531
>  If HAL ran Usenet - "I'm sorry Dave.  I'm afraid I can't post that."

--
John Brady
Analyst/Programmer

Other Threads