Obey speed limit - bandwith limiting for internet connection.

Hi!

I have a question regarding internet connection. Is there any possibility to
limit the overall speed or the speed of internet to processess? (e.g. limit
internet explorer to 128kBit, limit Outlook to 64kBit etc. etc..)

It should be done programmaticaly.

Thank you,
Karol

Re:Obey speed limit - bandwith limiting for internet connection.

Not generally as processes ask Windows for socket connections directly, and
there is no way for you to "shim" yourself into the middle.

If you are EXTREMELY talented, you can code a network adapter filter in C++
that is similar to a firewall filter, but have it communicate with a
user-mode process to determine what program is trying to open a socket,
then throttle the connection based on that data.  This is a VERY difficult
solution.

Eric

Re:Obey speed limit - bandwith limiting for internet connection.

hmm. I don't think I'm EXTREMELY talented, therefore I have asked if
somebody knows a existing solution. Hmm. I know that theory, I can C++, but
I do not have enought time and knowledge right now to write it.

Thank's for information and I hope I will handle this task.

Karol.

"Eric Hill" <e...@ijack.net> wrote in message

> Not generally as processes ask Windows for socket connections directly,
and
> there is no way for you to "shim" yourself into the middle.

> If you are EXTREMELY talented, you can code a network adapter filter in
C++
> that is similar to a firewall filter, but have it communicate with a
> user-mode process to determine what program is trying to open a socket,
> then throttle the connection based on that data.  This is a VERY difficult
> solution.

> Eric

Re:Obey speed limit - bandwith limiting for internet connection.

> I have a question regarding internet connection. Is there any possibility to
> limit the overall speed or the speed of internet to processess? (e.g. limit
> internet explorer to 128kBit, limit Outlook to 64kBit etc. etc..)

> It should be done programmaticaly.

You can try http://www.netlimiter.com/

Greetings
Maik

Karol Martinka wrote:
> Hi!

> I have a question regarding internet connection. Is there any possibility to
> limit the overall speed or the speed of internet to processess? (e.g. limit
> internet explorer to 128kBit, limit Outlook to 64kBit etc. etc..)

> It should be done programmaticaly.

> Thank you,
> Karol

If this is for a cheap at home solution, netlimiter was mentioned by
another poster.

If you want a corporate solution, you probably want an L2 managed switch
or a router that supports traffic flows.

Windows XP contains some features that might have helped you if they had
been fully developed, including QoS support and RSVP support. Try
looking into that.  That might be what the Netlimiter commercial product
uses in order to function. Note that it appears to be in beta still. I
don't know if it actually works as I haven't used it.

Warren

Re:Obey speed limit - bandwith limiting for internet connection.

Hello!

I do need it for 'small' application which should be distributed to many
users. It should help control ADSL connection in Czech Republic. I have
developed ADSL Reconnect, and want to add this function into it.
(www.autodsl.com)
There are many limitations in ADSL connection here in Czech, including
stupid dashboard logon (throught web).

Best Regards,
Karol

"Warren Postma" <wp@___N0SP8M_tekran.com> wrote in message

> Karol Martinka wrote:
> > Hi!

> > I have a question regarding internet connection. Is there any
possibility to
> > limit the overall speed or the speed of internet to processess? (e.g.
limit
> > internet explorer to 128kBit, limit Outlook to 64kBit etc. etc..)

> > It should be done programmaticaly.

> > Thank you,
> > Karol

> If this is for a cheap at home solution, netlimiter was mentioned by
> another poster.

> If you want a corporate solution, you probably want an L2 managed switch
> or a router that supports traffic flows.

> Windows XP contains some features that might have helped you if they had
> been fully developed, including QoS support and RSVP support. Try
> looking into that.  That might be what the Netlimiter commercial product
> uses in order to function. Note that it appears to be in beta still. I
> don't know if it actually works as I haven't used it.

> Warren

Other Threads