DAO 3.5 and 3.0, Access 97

Hi, there.
    Any suggestion on DAO access to Access 97 database.  For
development, you can easily decide which version of DAO you are going to
use through BDE adminstrator.  Yet, you can not enforce DAO 3.5 on
client's machine where there is high possibility that some of the DAO
3.0 applications are still there.  Third party BDE replacements might be
a solution such as Diamond Access, but they do not support
TClientDataset.   I read some suggestions about using ADO for reason of
the future.  Yet, not looking at the crystal ball, it seems to me DAO is
still the best shot for Access database right now.  Is there a DAO
version neutral solution?  Thanks.

W. Ma

Re:DAO 3.5 and 3.0, Access 97

>   Any suggestion on DAO access to Access 97 database.  For
>development, you can easily decide which version of DAO you are going to
>use through BDE adminstrator.  Yet, you can not enforce DAO 3.5 on
>client's machine where there is high possibility that some of the DAO
>3.0 applications are still there.

There is no problem having both DAO 3.5 an 3.0 installed and in use on the same
machine.   also DAO 3.0 will work find accessing tables in an Access 97
database.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:DAO 3.5 and 3.0, Access 97

Brian,

I have to differ with that.  It's true that Access 97 works up to a point
with DAO 3.0 rather than 3.5, but only up to a point.  I found that complex
SQL would fail with 3.0.  Setting the BDE to use IDDA3532.DLL  fixed
problems.  Also, I've seen it mentioned a number of times that 3.0 is not
thread safe, though I haven't investigated it.

Greg

Brian Bushay TeamB wrote in message <37348a0d.57078933@floyd>...

>>But I think I do need to decide which DLL32 to be used in setup program:
>>IDDA3532.DLL or IDDAO32.DLL.  Would that be a problem if my setup program
change
>>the BDE configuration for DLL32 needed by another vendor's software?

>It shouldn't matter.  From BDE perspective it really doesn't make any
difference
>which venison of DAO it uses.   And the DLL32 parameter only affects BDE.

>--
>Brian Bushay (TeamB)
>Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:DAO 3.5 and 3.0, Access 97

Aldo,

Unless you require that your users have Access installed, you must install
the DAO.  You need a redistribution liscense to do this, which can be
obtainied by purchasing the MS Access Developers Kit or VB.  This
installation is nightmarishly complex and cannot be done with the
Installshield Express bundled with Delphi.  I'm in the middle of programming
one now using InstallShield Pro 5.5.  Also, see my other post re. the DAO
version.  Using the right DAO version with the BDE does matter.

Greg

Aldo Furlan wrote in message <372bd542.7642...@forums.inprise.com>...
>On Sat, 01 May 1999 05:00:04 GMT, BBus...@Nmpls.com (Brian Bushay
>TeamB) wrote:

>>>But I think I do need to decide which DLL32 to be used in setup program:
>>>IDDA3532.DLL or IDDAO32.DLL.  Would that be a problem if my setup program
change
>>>the BDE configuration for DLL32 needed by another vendor's software?

>>It shouldn't matter.  From BDE perspective it really doesn't make any
difference
>>which venison of DAO it uses.   And the DLL32 parameter only affects BDE.

>Hi Brian.

>We would like distribute a D4 application with native msaccess 97
>database (.mdb) interface.
>We do not know if our customers have access97 installed or not.
>So we should distribute all pobbible necessary interfaces (DAO, Jet or
>so on). Have you any suggestion for us?.

>Thanks.

>Aldo Furlan

>stu...@elezioni.it

Re:DAO 3.5 and 3.0, Access 97

>We do not know if our customers have access97 installed or not.
>So we should distribute all pobbible necessary interfaces (DAO, Jet or
>so on). Have you any suggestion for us?.

There is a licensing issue you seem to be over looking.  If you own a Microsoft
product that allows you to redistribute DAO then you will have DAO distribution
tools with that product.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:DAO 3.5 and 3.0, Access 97

I suppose we are fully Microsoft licenced to distribute DAO.
We in effect have Visual Basic 6.0 (that we at the moment do not use)
and Microsoft Office 97 Developer Edition Tools, that we use for
distributing some Access applications written in VBA for application.

We tried to install a simple  Visual Basic 6.0 application just to get
DAO installed, but the installation failed with "unknown error"
(Microsoft's tipical).
We installed an our Acess VBA application but we get from the Delphi
program the an msjetxxx.dll was missed or so on.

Searchin "DAO" on internet we discovered information about the problem
at http://www.indigorose.com/setup/instdao.html  and we bought
IndigoRose setup program that we will try to see if it could solve our
problem.

Perhaps we will buy Microsoft C++ (or the complete Visual Studio
suite) just for distributing DAO.

We would like to use Delphi with MsAccess, but at the moment we are on
the ropes.

If someone could help he will be welcommed.

Thanks.
                Aldo

---------------
On Sun, 02 May 1999 06:29:58 GMT, BBus...@Nmpls.com (Brian Bushay

TeamB) wrote:

>>We do not know if our customers have access97 installed or not.
>>So we should distribute all pobbible necessary interfaces (DAO, Jet or
>>so on). Have you any suggestion for us?.

>There is a licensing issue you seem to be over looking.  If you own a Microsoft
>product that allows you to redistribute DAO then you will have DAO distribution
>tools with that product.

Re:DAO 3.5 and 3.0, Access 97

If you get Wise (www.wiseinstall.com) it will install a VB
application with DAO beautifully.