Using Delphi 1 and Delphi 2 on the same PC

Hi all,

Here I go with the big move.
I currently run Delphi 1 under windows 3.1

I have now installed Win 95 on my PC with the dual boot option so I can
reboot back to my old dos & win3.1 when necessary. All works fine.

I now want to install Delphi 2 under Win95 and thought it would be a
good idea to post a message here first just in case there are any major
problems with this setup. I need to be able to use Delphi 2 in Win95 and
still continue to use Delphi 1 (don't care which version of win).

Will Delphi 2 overwrite all my Delphi 1 settings?
Can the two co-exist on the same PC?
Are there special hints/tips for setting this up?

TIA,

Mike

Re:Using Delphi 1 and Delphi 2 on the same PC

hi mike,

I have had Delphi 1 on win95 for a long time now and recently install
Delphi 2 (in a seperate directory) under win 95 and they co-exist great
beside each other, the only thing you may notice is that Delphi 2 will set
filetypes in win95, so clicking on a delphi project/pascal file will open
delphi 2, like clicking on a word document will open word, this will also
effect delphi 1 files, so clicking in explorrer on a delphi 1 project will
open it in delphi 2, so you need to open delphi 1 manualy and then load in
your project (like you do now really)

alex
--
for some delphi tips:

http://www.euronet.nl/users/darkside/

Mike Parr <mike.p...@intouch.co.uk> wrote in article
<9707161236473...@intouch.co.uk>...

> Hi all,

> Here I go with the big move.
> I currently run Delphi 1 under windows 3.1

> I have now installed Win 95 on my PC with the dual boot option so I can
> reboot back to my old dos & win3.1 when necessary. All works fine.

> I now want to install Delphi 2 under Win95 and thought it would be a
> good idea to post a message here first just in case there are any major
> problems with this setup. I need to be able to use Delphi 2 in Win95 and
> still continue to use Delphi 1 (don't care which version of win).

> Will Delphi 2 overwrite all my Delphi 1 settings?
> Can the two co-exist on the same PC?
> Are there special hints/tips for setting this up?

> TIA,

> Mike

Re:Using Delphi 1 and Delphi 2 on the same PC

First save the complib.dcu of old delphi1 (if you have installed new
components and don't want to reinstall these components.
You can also save the dsk files  (used u.e. for syntax highlighting)
Then load win95 and reinstall delphi1 into the same directory like in
win31.
At least install delphi2 where ever you want.

It could be that you loose your options of delphi1 (only for the ide). The
options for your projects are stored in the directory of your source files.

Heiko

Mike Parr <mike.p...@intouch.co.uk> schrieb im Beitrag
<9707161236473...@intouch.co.uk>...

> Hi all,

> Here I go with the big move.
> I currently run Delphi 1 under windows 3.1

> I have now installed Win 95 on my PC with the dual boot option so I can
> reboot back to my old dos & win3.1 when necessary. All works fine.

> I now want to install Delphi 2 under Win95 and thought it would be a
> good idea to post a message here first just in case there are any major
> problems with this setup. I need to be able to use Delphi 2 in Win95 and
> still continue to use Delphi 1 (don't care which version of win).

> Will Delphi 2 overwrite all my Delphi 1 settings?
> Can the two co-exist on the same PC?
> Are there special hints/tips for setting this up?

> TIA,

> Mike

Re:Using Delphi 1 and Delphi 2 on the same PC

If you would prefer that double-clicking on a *.dpr (or *.pas) file in the
Explorer would open D1 instead of D2 as the default then try this.
Right-click on any *.pas file while holding the Shift key down.  From the
menu select the Open With... option and then select Delphi 1.0 from the
list.  If it's not there use the Other... button to find the D1 exe and
select it.  Check the "Always use this program to open this type of file"
checkbox and then hit the OK Button.  Note that you'll now have to open D2
manually to use it so you'll have to decide which one you use more
frequently.

As for the original question I have had know problems running D1 and D2 on
the same machine which dual boots to Win 3.11 or Win 95.
--

Rodney E Geraghty
GERA-Tech

Alex <Darkside_of_the_M...@msn.com> wrote in article
<01bc91f0$e9356360$9e1c86c2@zen>...

In article <9707161236473...@intouch.co.uk>, mike.p...@intouch.co.uk (Mike

Parr) wrote:

> Will Delphi 2 overwrite all my Delphi 1 settings?
> Can the two co-exist on the same PC?

Just make sure you install D2 to a different directory to D1.  The
installation default directory for D2 should be very different to the D1
default.

The format of the .DCU's is very different between 16 and 32 so if I am
working on the same source with both D1 and D2, I use a different
directory for the source code.  This means I have to ensure I always have
the latest copy of the source in the correct directory.  An alternative is
to always delete the DCU's and Build All when changing between versions of
Delphi.  I find this more complicated as the format of the project.res
file is also different between versions.  I'd recommend two different
directories.

I'd also recommend using Win95 for both D1 and D2 development.

John.

"Rodney E Geraghty" <gera...@ibm.net> wrote:

>As for the original question I have had know problems running D1 and D2 on
>the same machine which dual boots to Win 3.11 or Win 95.
>> I have had Delphi 1 on win95 for a long time now and recently install
>> Delphi 2 (in a seperate directory) under win 95 and they co-exist great
>> beside each other, the only thing you may notice is that Delphi 2 will
>set
>> filetypes in win95

Another slight difference, though : if you open the same project
alternatively in D1 and D2, Delphi will complain about the wrong file
format, and you must take care to Build All at the next compile. Other
than that, no problem.

Frederic G. MARAND: f...@soon.com

Other Threads