Good Book on Delphi for C++ programmers

I am new to Delphi, Pascal and Object Pascal. But I am fairly
proficient in C++ and understands the general object oriented
concepts. I have programmed simple applications for Windows - using
the C++ version of OWL2.0

Are there a really good book (I only can afford one <g>) on Delphi
written specifically for people like me? I like to learn how to write
visual components and database programs.

Thanks!
--
Yow Sai Cheong
Standard Chartered Bank

Re:Good Book on Delphi for C++ programmers

In article <49bore$...@raffles.technet.sg>,
   yo...@pacific.net.sg (Steve) wrote:

>I am new to Delphi, Pascal and Object Pascal. But I am fairly
>proficient in C++ and understands the general object oriented
>concepts. I have programmed simple applications for Windows - using
>the C++ version of OWL2.0

>Are there a really good book (I only can afford one <g>) on Delphi
>written specifically for people like me? I like to learn how to write
>visual components and database programs.

_Delphi Developer's Guide_ (Sams Publishing/Borland Press) by Xavier
Pacheco & Steve Teixeira is great. It is very detailed, oriented to the
experienced professional programmer, and has copious sample programs,
including a number of full blown applications. It has sections on
everything you would need to know to develop applications. (It has been
getting very good reviews.)

--
Brad Aisa, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
ba...@hookup.net   web archive: http://www.hookup.net/~baisa/

"The highest responsibility of philosophers is to serve as the
guardians and integrators of human knowledge."   -- Ayn Rand

Re:Good Book on Delphi for C++ programmers

Any other good books on Delphi you would recommend for experienced
programmers.

Charles

st...@cix.compulink.co.uk ("Charles Pope") wrote:
>Any other good books on Delphi you would recommend for experienced
>programmers.

I red a lot of recommendations about "Delphi Unleashed" right in this
news-group. Just about everyone recommends it. Yesterday, after weeks
of searching (I'm in the Netherlands and didn't want to order without
seeing it), finally, I found it in a very large bookshop. Guess what,
the vendor told me not to buy as there is a second edition coming very
soon (a matter of 2 weeks, he said) with lots of improvements... That
one, I ordered after browsing a bit through the first edition.

Meanwhile, I found another which seems brand new (but aren't they
all?), that is, I never heard of it:
        Delphi Power Toolkit
        Harold Davis
        Ventana
        ISBN 1-56604-292-5
Of course, I didn't come to it yet (bought it, as so often, on the
index), but it seems OK to me and is advertised for "intermediate to
experienced" level.

Personnally, I like "Delphi How-To" (ISBN 1-57169-019-0) too, but
opinions on this one seems very divided, so you have to judge by
yourself.

Isn't it amazing how many books there are already on such a "young"
produkt? Has to be good (and I think it is...)!

Jasper

"The only thing I know for sure
 is that I don't know much...  "

Re:Good Book on Delphi for C++ programmers

Thanks for all the info on Delphi Unleashed.

Charles

Re:Good Book on Delphi for C++ programmers

In article <DJ38zs....@cix.compulink.co.uk>,
   st...@cix.compulink.co.uk ("Charles Pope") wrote:

>Thanks for all the info on Delphi Unleashed.

EEK! That book is the worst edited book I have read in ages, and the
samples/examples are not that great. Also, there are problems with it,
because it was written before the final release, and some of the sample
code is buggy and incompatible.

Far, FAR better is "Delphi Developer's Guide."

--
Brad Aisa, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
ba...@hookup.net   web archive: http://www.hookup.net/~baisa/

"The highest responsibility of philosophers is to serve as the
guardians and integrators of human knowledge."   -- Ayn Rand

Re:Good Book on Delphi for C++ programmers

Please advise me about how to start with Delphi programming.
I never write any programming in windows environment but I ever learn
Pascal and Obj-Oriented in C++.

I want to know the best book name, author's name, and publisher of that
book to start with Delphi. And where I can get the simple example program
of Dephi about form, calculation, and etc.

                                       Thanks for your kind
                                       Chaitad Huangsamphan

[...]

Other Threads