Component that supports PNG format

I was wondering if there is a component that supports PNG file formats. I've
seen a few. They use a dll. That is not really the issue, however. My
problem is they have SaveToFile methods ,but not SaveToStream methods.
That's what I really need.

--
Shiv Kumar
The Delphi Apostle

Re:Component that supports PNG format

TPngImage from Uberto Barbini has Load/SaveToStream.  I'm not sure where I
downloaded it originally, but I think it was on torry.net.  If you cannot
find it, feel free to contact me.

Bryan Ashby
Lead Programmer
iAccess.com, Inc.
bas...@NOSPAM.iaccess.com

"Shiv Kumar" <s...@matlus.com> wrote in message news:3b3a2025_2@dnews...
> I was wondering if there is a component that supports PNG file formats.
I've
> seen a few. They use a dll. That is not really the issue, however. My
> problem is they have SaveToFile methods ,but not SaveToStream methods.
> That's what I really need.

> --
> Shiv Kumar
> The Delphi Apostle
> http://www.matlus.com
> http://www.delphisoap.com

Re:Component that supports PNG format

Shiv,

I developed PngImage a little and wrote a simple interface unit. You can
find it at:

http://www.david-taylor.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/software/components.html...
ibrary

Supports streams although that's not what I use myself....

David

"Shiv Kumar" <s...@matlus.com> wrote in message news:3b3a2025_2@dnews...
> I was wondering if there is a component that supports PNG file formats.
I've
> seen a few. They use a dll. That is not really the issue, however. My
> problem is they have SaveToFile methods ,but not SaveToStream methods.
> That's what I really need.

Re:Component that supports PNG format

Bryan,

thanks, I took a look at a lot of other PNG components and found the one you
suggested to be the best. Not that my needs are anything fancy <g>. Some of
the others couldn't read some of the .png files I use on my site.

I found it on Eric Engler's site at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/2114/

--
Shiv Kumar
The Delphi Apostle
http://www.matlus.com
http://www.delphisoap.com

Re:Component that supports PNG format

hi Bryan and Shiv,
   I just wanted to clarify that the original TPngImage that Bryan
mentions was actually started by Edmund H. Hand ( who seems to have
vanished from the Delphi scene ), Umberto Barbini fixed some of the
bugs, I then fixed some other bugs and finally David Taylor also
contributed significantly. So it has been through quite a few hands to
get to where it is today, a great testament to open source programming.
That is not to say it is perfect. I think there are still a few PNG
formats it has problems with, but on the whole it is one of the best
TPNGImage libraries out there. I had hoped that Gustavo all Delpi
implementation would be Open Source but it seems to have vanished in
recent times.
I was actually hoping that PNG and MNG ( the GIF animation replacement )
would be supported natively under D6 ( can anyone confirm or deny that
this is the case ). But I fear that Borland have not listened.

L8R,

Dominique
http://www.DelphiGamer.com

Bryan Ashby wrote:
> TPngImage from Uberto Barbini has Load/SaveToStream.  I'm not sure where I
> downloaded it originally, but I think it was on torry.net.  If you cannot
> find it, feel free to contact me.

> Bryan Ashby
> Lead Programmer
> iAccess.com, Inc.
> bas...@NOSPAM.iaccess.com

> "Shiv Kumar" <s...@matlus.com> wrote in message news:3b3a2025_2@dnews...

>> I was wondering if there is a component that supports PNG file formats.

> I've

>> seen a few. They use a dll. That is not really the issue, however. My
>> problem is they have SaveToFile methods ,but not SaveToStream methods.
>> That's what I really need.

>> --
>> Shiv Kumar
>> The Delphi Apostle
>> http://www.matlus.com
>> http://www.delphisoap.com

Re:Component that supports PNG format

I'm going to rewrite my png library with support for MNG and a few speed
tweaks.
I just have to finish another thing I'm working on... it will be avaliable
at: http://sites.uol.com.br/delphidotnet but it will take some time.

"Shiv Kumar" <s...@matlus.com> escreveu na mensagem news:3b3a2025_2@dnews...

> I was wondering if there is a component that supports PNG file formats.
I've
> seen a few. They use a dll. That is not really the issue, however. My
> problem is they have SaveToFile methods ,but not SaveToStream methods.
> That's what I really need.

> --
> Shiv Kumar
> The Delphi Apostle
> http://www.matlus.com
> http://www.delphisoap.com

Re:Component that supports PNG format

Gustavo,

Thanks for your reply. Is this going to be a VCL only implementation? That
is is it going to need a dll or will it all compile in to the application?
--
Shiv Kumar
The Delphi Apostle
http://www.matlus.com
http://www.delphisoap.com

Re:Component that supports PNG format

Dominique,

thanks for the insightful information.

--
Shiv Kumar
The Delphi Apostle
http://www.matlus.com
http://www.delphisoap.com

Re:Component that supports PNG format

> I'm going to rewrite my png library with support for MNG and a few
> speed tweaks.
> I just have to finish another thing I'm working on... it will be
> avaliable at: http://sites.uol.com.br/delphidotnet but it will take
> some time.

Are you going to support the full MNG spec?
If so, it'll take a little more than 'some time'. Take it from the guy
that's done it twice already.

For a full implementation of MNG you guys may want to have a look at
libmng. It's an open-source project I started last year. It is C, but there
is a Delphi component (that uses the standard dll coming with libmng). It's
currently in beta, but we're close to releasing 1.0 some time soon.
http://www.libmng.com

Gustavo, if you're still interested in writing a native MNG component for
Delphi, I have some ancient Delphi code (my first MNG implementation). Give
me a yell if you'd like a look. It's not written very open (eg. few
comments), and it doesn't support the latest additions to the MNG spec
(just before it went 1.0 this year), and there's a few bugs still in it,
but other than that it works fine... ;)

Also please consider joining the mng-list mailing list. It's pretty low-
volume at the moment, but the absolute best place to ask anything about
MNG. It's open to all. (signup directions at the bottom of the libmng site)

--
Gerard Juyn - Triple-T
http://www.3-t.com

Re:Component that supports PNG format

> I was actually hoping that PNG and MNG ( the GIF animation replacement
> ) would be supported natively under D6 ( can anyone confirm or deny
> that this is the case ). But I fear that Borland have not listened.

Not really by default. MNG (and PNG, JNG) are natively supported by Qt, but
I'm not sure if that requires a specific build of Qt (haven't looked
myself). If I understand correctly you'd have to switch to CLX to get to
Qt, but that also means a 6MB run-time dll on Windows :(

There is a Delphi VCL component (currently beta) that'll do PNG/JNG/MNG,
but it does use a dll. See my other post for more details.

(btw. JNG is JPEG embedded in PNG chunks, thus allowing transparency and
advanced color-correction mechanisms!)

--
Gerard Juyn - Triple-T
http://www.3-t.com

Re:Component that supports PNG format

Thx everyone for the support. I intend to make it native delphi VCL and
possible with a few links objects (no DLLs, everything in the exe). I will
try to make the MNG implementation as near as I can from the mng specs.

> > I was wondering if there is a component that supports PNG file formats.
> I've
> > seen a few. They use a dll. That is not really the issue, however. My
> > problem is they have SaveToFile methods ,but not SaveToStream methods.
> > That's what I really need.

> > --
> > Shiv Kumar
> > The Delphi Apostle
> > http://www.matlus.com
> > http://www.delphisoap.com

Re:Component that supports PNG format

Hi Gustavo,

Gustavo Daud wrote in <3b3ba355_1@dnews>:

> I'm going to rewrite my png library with support for MNG and a few speed
> tweaks.

Can you image you to do this together with another programmers in a open
souce project?

I will give you more infos per email, if you have any interest.

Bye Peter.

Re:Component that supports PNG format

Hi Shiv,

Shiv Kumar wrote in <3b3a2025_2@dnews>:

> I was wondering if there is a component that supports PNG file formats. I've
> seen a few. They use a dll. That is not really the issue, however. My
> problem is they have SaveToFile methods ,but not SaveToStream methods.
> That's what I really need.

I have written a site with short descriptions and links to freeware PNG
libraries with source:

http://home.t-online.de/home/PeterJHaas/PNG_en.htm

Bye Peter.

Re:Component that supports PNG format

I would also be happy to help with this if I can.

David

"Peter Haas" <PeterJH...@t-online.de> wrote in message

> Hi Gustavo,
[]
> Can you image you to do this together with another programmers in a open
> souce project?

> I will give you more infos per email, if you have any interest.

> Bye Peter.

Re:Component that supports PNG format

Peter,

Thanks, I had been to your site earlier and downloaded the TPngImage and
dll. That works ok, but I didn't see a way to "SavetoToStream" without
modifying the code.
--
Shiv Kumar
The Delphi Apostle