Making a document unchangeable (ReadOnly)

The way Word works, if you open a document in Read Only mode it still allows
you to make changes to it.  All it basically does is not allow you to save
the doc, but you can save via SaveAs... under a different file name.  For my
purposes I want to be able to open a document and make it uneditable period.
My users are having a problem because they are opening Read Only documents,
then making changes to then because they are not paying attention, then they
realize they can't save it get all pissed off.  I want to make it uneditable
so as to eliminate that problem.  Is there a property that will do this?

--
Geoff Price
MedEvolve

Re:Making a document unchangeable (ReadOnly)

why not just warn the user of the read-only status of the doc when it's opened
after checking the value of worddocument.readonly property... I double checked
for anything like a "editable" property; found nothing and wouldn't think there would
be such a thing, as that wouldn't make sense for an app like Word given it's
intended purpose; it has nothing like a "viewer-only" mode.

Tom

"Geoff Price" <gpr...@MedEvolve.com> wrote:
>The way Word works, if you open a document in Read Only mode it still allows>you to make changes to it.  All it basically does is not allow you to save
>the doc, but you can save via SaveAs... under a different file name.  For my
>purposes I want to be able to open a document and make it uneditable period.
>My users are having a problem because they are opening Read Only documents,
>then making changes to then because they are not paying attention, then they
>realize they can't save it get all pissed off.  I want to make it uneditable
>so as to eliminate that problem.  Is there a property that will do this?

>--
>Geoff Price
>MedEvolve

Re:Making a document unchangeable (ReadOnly)

<<Geoff Price:
I want to be able to open a document and make it uneditable
period.

This is the one thing olecontainers are (moderately) good
for -  you can use them as file viewers. Insert a file into
one, prevent the user from activating it, and Bob's your
uncle - if you can live with the colours. Unfortunately the
background will be in the colour used for 3d objects, while
the font will be black. :(

--
Deborah Pate

Re:Making a document unchangeable (ReadOnly)

<<Deborah Pate:
Unfortunately the background will be in the colour used for
3d objects

I meant to add that you can download a Word file viewer
from Microsoft's site.

--
Deborah Pate

"Tom" <ge...@e{*word*277}.com> wrote in message news:398c6f69$1_1@dnews...

> why not just warn the user of the read-only status of the doc when it's
opened
> after checking the value of worddocument.readonly property... I double
checked
> for anything like a "editable" property; found nothing and wouldn't think
there would
> be such a thing, as that wouldn't make sense for an app like Word given
it's
> intended purpose; it has nothing like a "viewer-only" mode.

> Tom

How about the DocumentProtection or the ToolsProtectDocument statements.
These can allow you to test and modify the protection that a document has.

Woody

Re:Making a document unchangeable (ReadOnly)

Well, you would think that would be good enough, but the problem is that
users are idiots.  The see a dialog box, then just hit okay w/o reading,
then ignore the ReadOnly status in the header of the document, and still
make changes, then relize they can't save them and get pissed and call tech
support to complain about lost changes.  That's just the reality of the
situation:)

Tom <ge...@e{*word*277}.com> wrote in message news:398c6f69$1_1@dnews...

> why not just warn the user of the read-only status of the doc when it's
opened
> after checking the value of worddocument.readonly property... I double
checked
> for anything like a "editable" property; found nothing and wouldn't think
there would
> be such a thing, as that wouldn't make sense for an app like Word given
it's
> intended purpose; it has nothing like a "viewer-only" mode.

> Tom

> "Geoff Price" <gpr...@MedEvolve.com> wrote:
> >The way Word works, if you open a document in Read Only mode it still

allows>you to make changes to it.  All it basically does is not allow you to
save

> >the doc, but you can save via SaveAs... under a different file name.  For
my
> >purposes I want to be able to open a document and make it uneditable
period.
> >My users are having a problem because they are opening Read Only
documents,
> >then making changes to then because they are not paying attention, then
they
> >realize they can't save it get all pissed off.  I want to make it
uneditable
> >so as to eliminate that problem.  Is there a property that will do this?

> >--
> >Geoff Price
> >MedEvolve

Other Threads