SQL Databases - MS Sql Server 7 vs. Interbase

Hello,

I have an application which was origianlly written for the MS SQL
Server 7.0.  After a re-write this application now runs with the speed
that our custormers demand.  However, the port for the Interbase
database tool is not nearly as fast.  The same data lookup on MS SQL 7
takes only 8 seconds while the Interbase takes up to 58 seconds.

Does anyone know why this is and how I can make the Interbase run as
fast as the MS SQL Server?

Thank you.
David

Re:SQL Databases - MS Sql Server 7 vs. Interbase

I sure will try to help but you have to provide more specific information
about query which does lookup and underlying table structures and indexes
(for both DBMS). Did you tweak configuration of DBMS software?
And by the way is it Delphi program? ;)
dbrere...@westcall.com wrote:
> Hello,

> I have an application which was origianlly written for the MS SQL
> Server 7.0.  After a re-write this application now runs with the speed
> that our custormers demand.  However, the port for the Interbase
> database tool is not nearly as fast.  The same data lookup on MS SQL 7
> takes only 8 seconds while the Interbase takes up to 58 seconds.

> Does anyone know why this is and how I can make the Interbase run as
> fast as the MS SQL Server?

> Thank you.
> David

Re:SQL Databases - MS Sql Server 7 vs. Interbase

Sorry I left out the particulars.  This is a Delphi 4 app.  I am using
the C/S version (of course).  I haven't done anything to either of the
DBMS configurations.

I have 4 database tables that I have to query.  The query is rather
complex in that I am looking for all records that match a list of
strings that were entered by the user to search for.  With a large
number of items to include in the report, the query could get rather
lengthy.

I don't specifically have any indexes defined.  Instead, I declared
several columns to be key columns in both DBMS's.  The tables are
exactly the same.  In this way, all that has to change for the
different version of the program is the alias in the BDE.

We found something interesting yesterday.  The same report took 2
minutes 10 seconds when accessing a local copy of the database using
Interbase Local.  When I switched to our server running Interbase
Server with the same data file, the report only took 38 seconds.

Thank you for taking the time to consider this problem for me.

David

On Thu, 09 Dec 1999 20:49:22 -0500, Artem Kornilov <ar...@altair.com>
wrote:

>I sure will try to help but you have to provide more specific information
>about query which does lookup and underlying table structures and indexes
>(for both DBMS). Did you tweak configuration of DBMS software?
>And by the way is it Delphi program? ;)

>dbrere...@westcall.com wrote:

>> Hello,

>> I have an application which was origianlly written for the MS SQL
>> Server 7.0.  After a re-write this application now runs with the speed
>> that our custormers demand.  However, the port for the Interbase
>> database tool is not nearly as fast.  The same data lookup on MS SQL 7
>> takes only 8 seconds while the Interbase takes up to 58 seconds.

>> Does anyone know why this is and how I can make the Interbase run as
>> fast as the MS SQL Server?

>> Thank you.
>> David

Re:SQL Databases - MS Sql Server 7 vs. Interbase

Let us first assume that it is DBMS bottleneck and there are no Delphi related
issues involved in low perfomance.
So basically you have to optimaize your query you can do it in several ways to
begin with figure out what access plan Interbase uses when executing queries.
After you know plan you will have to figure out how to increase query
performance.
Here you have to think about it ;) may be create indexes or rewrite query or
restructure database.
Again to receive more precise answer give more information about structure of
database, query amount of records in tables, hardware and so on....
dbrere...@westcall.com wrote:
> Sorry I left out the particulars.  This is a Delphi 4 app.  I am using
> the C/S version (of course).  I haven't done anything to either of the
> DBMS configurations.

> I have 4 database tables that I have to query.  The query is rather
> complex in that I am looking for all records that match a list of
> strings that were entered by the user to search for.  With a large
> number of items to include in the report, the query could get rather
> lengthy.

> I don't specifically have any indexes defined.  Instead, I declared
> several columns to be key columns in both DBMS's.  The tables are
> exactly the same.  In this way, all that has to change for the
> different version of the program is the alias in the BDE.

> We found something interesting yesterday.  The same report took 2
> minutes 10 seconds when accessing a local copy of the database using
> Interbase Local.  When I switched to our server running Interbase
> Server with the same data file, the report only took 38 seconds.

> Thank you for taking the time to consider this problem for me.

> David

> On Thu, 09 Dec 1999 20:49:22 -0500, Artem Kornilov <ar...@altair.com>
> wrote:

> >I sure will try to help but you have to provide more specific information
> >about query which does lookup and underlying table structures and indexes
> >(for both DBMS). Did you tweak configuration of DBMS software?
> >And by the way is it Delphi program? ;)

> >dbrere...@westcall.com wrote:

> >> Hello,

> >> I have an application which was origianlly written for the MS SQL
> >> Server 7.0.  After a re-write this application now runs with the speed
> >> that our custormers demand.  However, the port for the Interbase
> >> database tool is not nearly as fast.  The same data lookup on MS SQL 7
> >> takes only 8 seconds while the Interbase takes up to 58 seconds.

> >> Does anyone know why this is and how I can make the Interbase run as
> >> fast as the MS SQL Server?

> >> Thank you.
> >> David

Other Threads