Dear Inprise - Please make Interbase 5 more affordable !

I was just reading the thread about 'IB an expensive option'.

It is clear that Interbase is a truly world beating class product. It
needs the glory it deserves. The problem is perhaps the cost of each
installation licence. If we could be encouraged to use interbase from
the start as perhaps a single user and have a cost effective path for
when the user decides to go multi-user then that would be great.

I certainly would adopt interbase over dbase or paradox or other if  I
could be sure that when the time comes moving from single user to
multi-user it is not going to cost the earth. We must be encouraged to
use interbase over the other types. If we migrate to interbase in the
thousands then I think that will shake up the market and put Inprise
well,  well ahead of others in similar markets.

I am a very loyal programmer who has been using borland products from
day one and I am sure there are many thousands out there in the same
position. Lets do it. Lets take Borland/Inprise to the top where it
deserves to be. Please help us to do so.

Kind regards Sam

Re:Dear Inprise - Please make Interbase 5 more affordable !

I don't see the issue.  Interbase is a much more affordable DBMS as
compared to other DBMS out there, especially when you consider
maintenance.  I often use it, and quiet succesfully.  If your in the
position that you need to move up to a client server environment, you
should know that the price of Interbase is very competitive.

-Gabe

Sam King wrote:
> I was just reading the thread about 'IB an expensive option'.

> It is clear that Interbase is a truly world beating class product. It
> needs the glory it deserves. The problem is perhaps the cost of each
> installation licence. If we could be encouraged to use interbase from
> the start as perhaps a single user and have a cost effective path for
> when the user decides to go multi-user then that would be great.

> I certainly would adopt interbase over dbase or paradox or other if  I
> could be sure that when the time comes moving from single user to
> multi-user it is not going to cost the earth. We must be encouraged to
> use interbase over the other types. If we migrate to interbase in the
> thousands then I think that will shake up the market and put Inprise
> well,  well ahead of others in similar markets.

> I am a very loyal programmer who has been using borland products from
> day one and I am sure there are many thousands out there in the same
> position. Lets do it. Lets take Borland/Inprise to the top where it
> deserves to be. Please help us to do so.

> Kind regards Sam

Re:Dear Inprise - Please make Interbase 5 more affordable !

Sam may be thrown by the fact that Interbase is simply not being sold in
the manner of sales to individuals; it is being sold in the manner of
quantity-sales to corporations.  Interbase, Inc. is selling "seats,"
like tickets to their show.  This cost must be passed-through to the
customer by the reseller, who is afforded the chance to make a small
markup thereon.  But no, they frankly are not even trying to sell it
under the same business-model as Paradox, Access, or xBase.

To the people to whom the product is targeted, Interbase is a very
affordable product indeed.  These people are extremely unlikely to
"start the application in Paradox and switch to Interbase."  They are
likely to start their product with Interbase and stick with it, enabling
subsequent sales of Interbase licenses to their end-users at a profit
for both companies.  They are not going to buy one copy at $150; they're
more likely to buy 2000 copies at $300,000.  Per year.  The economics
are compelling ...

>gfor...@fesoft.com wrote:

> I don't see the issue.  Interbase is a much more affordable DBMS as
> compared to other DBMS out there, especially when you consider
> maintenance.  I often use it, and quiet succesfully.  If your in the
> position that you need to move up to a client server environment, you
> should know that the price of Interbase is very competitive.

> -Gabe

> Sam King wrote:

> > I was just reading the thread about 'IB an expensive option'...

Re:Dear Inprise - Please make Interbase 5 more affordable !

Since Interbase is, as far as I know, the least expensive of any of the full
featured database servers I am curious what you would consider a reasonable
price.

Bill

--
Bill Todd

Re:Dear Inprise - Please make Interbase 5 more affordable !

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:28:01 -0700, "Bill Todd (TeamB)"

<bill_todd.nos...@compuserve.com> wrote:
>Since Interbase is, as far as I know, the least expensive of any of the full
>featured database servers I am curious what you would consider a reasonable
>price.

>Bill

>--

I sent an Email to Inprise in the UK asking for detailed costs of
Interbase and what exactly was required to get a 5-6 workstation
operating. I had no reply.

I don't think they are interested in selling one or two units. But so
far as I can see the price does seem rather steep. Made worse of
course by thhe practice of stinging the UK by using a conversion rate
of about 1 uk pound = 1 dollar. Where the true rate is nearer 1 pounds
= 1.5 dollars.

What a pity Interbase is not better known and better served by Inprise
representatives.

Dave

Re:Dear Inprise - Please make Interbase 5 more affordable !

I think Sybase SQLAnywhere is less expensive than Interbase and
includes replication model, can run on many more platforms ( WinCE is
also comming..)

I am strongly convinced Interbase single user should be free similar
to Advantage and other products in the market. If that doesn't change
chances are we will see another Vdbase...

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:28:01 -0700, "Bill Todd (TeamB)"

<bill_todd.nos...@compuserve.com> wrote:
>Since Interbase is, as far as I know, the least expensive of any of the full
>featured database servers I am curious what you would consider a reasonable
>price.

>Bill

Re:Dear Inprise - Please make Interbase 5 more affordable !

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" <bill_todd.nos...@compuserve.com> wrote:

>Since Interbase is, as far as I know, the least expensive of any of the full
>featured database servers I am curious what you would consider a reasonable
>price.

Bill,

It's really a price marketing issue, I think.

For example, consider just the U.S. market and, for the moment, divide
that market into three parts: Fortune 1000, about 20 million "small"
businesses, and everything in between (there are many thousands in the
"in between" group, I think).

Interbase is well positioned for the Fortune 1000 and for much of the
"in between"s. When you talk to IB people, for example, you get a
strong sense of orientation in enterprise models and marketing and
deploying for large LAN and WAN operations. But I've never gotten any
sense at all that Interbase even knows the "small" business segment
exists.

These small guys are my market. What these people need are small,
fast, often stand-alone applications that are highly portable. The C/S
model, with middleware, is too cumbersome for many needs here.

At the same time, these companies do need C/S, and Interbase is good
for that, but too expensive for the smaller C/S installations.

So what we have is a bunch of businesses that continually straddle the
boundary between small and large systems and people like me have to
make that work somehow.

The best thing for me would be a stand-alone Interbase without
middleware that I could use for small jobs but still be able to
integrate with larger systems over time. I can't do that. So my
solutions are a mix of ascii files and other db vendors with a lot of
work on data conversions in order to keep up with the traffic in small
businesses.

As a result, my mind, and I suppose the minds of others like me, are
focused away from Interbase, which is not there for me where I need it
most. The result of that may be that Interbase doesn't get heavily
into the small biz market.

I hate the mish-mash of database solutions I have to keep at the
ready. I long for the small and fast that is truly scalable to the
large. I know that when I see such a thing, I'll be its champion. But
first, somebody like Interbase has to want that to happen.

Phil Cain

Re:Dear Inprise - Please make Interbase 5 more affordable !

Sundial Services <i...@sundialservices.com> wrote in article
<36C3347E.2...@sundialservices.com>...

> Sam may be thrown by the fact that Interbase is simply not being sold in
> the manner of sales to individuals; it is being sold in the manner of
> quantity-sales to corporations.  Interbase, Inc. is selling "seats,"
> like tickets to their show.  This cost must be passed-through to the
> customer by the reseller, who is afforded the chance to make a small
> markup thereon.  But no, they frankly are not even trying to sell it
> under the same business-model as Paradox, Access, or xBase.

> To the people to whom the product is targeted, Interbase is a very
> affordable product indeed.  These people are extremely unlikely to
> "start the application in Paradox and switch to Interbase."  They are
> likely to start their product with Interbase and stick with it, enabling
> subsequent sales of Interbase licenses to their end-users at a profit
> for both companies.  They are not going to buy one copy at $150; they're
> more likely to buy 2000 copies at $300,000.  Per year.  The economics
> are compelling ...

If the product is targeted only to customers who will be buying 2000 seats,
then it's competing squarely with much better known and better funded
competitors.  That's a mistake in my opinion.  Interbase may be a great
database, but it has very little "mindshare" in the corporate world, and
with even Sybase and Oracle feeling the heat of competition I doubt that it
will garner more very easily.

You're wrong about the potential markets, also.  There are many, many
commercial vertical applications out there that cater to small companies,
some of which are fine with Paradox/dBase and some of which need a more
reliable solution.  These small companies often grow quickly and will
outgrow a fileserver database at some point.  What they DON'T want to do is
switch to a new application unless absolutely necessary.  This is not as
small a market as you might think, either - each of these applications
commonly sell in the thousands annually.  Eventually the companies using
these applications will gladly pay for better reliability, rather than
continue with a fileserver solution.

I agree with the main point the Interbase people are making, which is
"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch."  None of the developers in
this NG give their services away for free, and neither should they expect
Interbase to.  Still, there is a group here that sees a potential market
for Interbase that is not being filled by other databases.  Many of us are
also Borland/Inprise supporters, and we really want to see the company
succeed.  We understand that people buy products and names that they know
and are comfortable with, and that's just not the case with Interbase.
Somehow they have to make inroads, but competing head-to-head with
Microsoft, Sybase, Oracle, etc. isn't going to do it.

Bill Todd (TeamB) wrote:

> Since Interbase is, as far as I know, the least expensive of any of the full
> featured database servers I am curious what you would consider a reasonable
> price.

Three..five seats for free!. After that, the current pricing is
quite OK.

This kind of pricing would really give the current 10.000 Delphi/BDE/Paradox
developers something to think about.

Markku Nevalainen

Re:Dear Inprise - Please make Interbase 5 more affordable !

I  think affordability is always going to be a relative issue. What is cheap to
some is expensive to others. I just want some incentive to change over to
interbase. Some options that could be considered are: (1) Allow Interbase use by
two computers for free. Any more than 2 computers then this would be chargeable.
or (2) Make each licence cheap enough so as we don't even know we paid for it.
eg sell a lot but with a little less margin and get loyal customers ( us )
buying more and more. I sell mainly to the smaller business and not usually to
the larger corporate. I would like to push interbase into such markets. Kind
regards Sam.

"Bill Todd (TeamB)" wrote:
> Since Interbase is, as far as I know, the least expensive of any of the full
> featured database servers I am curious what you would consider a reasonable
> price.

> Bill

> --
> Bill Todd
> (Sorry but TeamB cannot answer questions received via email)
> (Remove nospam from my email address to contact me for any other reason)

Re:Dear Inprise - Please make Interbase 5 more affordable !

I couldn't agree with your suggestion more. We often write
apps for two to three users using Paradox tables and
sometimes have problems when the user base grows to 20+.
Starting with IB as a freeby for a very small network would
probably increase revenue in the long run. I don't think
Inprise will do this but maybe they could include a 3-user
licence for IB in Delphi client/server.

And in the UK IB licences cost the same in pounds as in
dollars which means we have to pay around $190 per seat.

Nick Spurrier (MoDESoft, UK)

Re:Dear Inprise - Please make Interbase 5 more affordable !

In article <memo.19990215165228.1...@modesoft.cix.co.uk>, Nick Spurrier
<n...@mode.co.uk> wrote

>which means we have to pay around $190 per seat

I was going to use Interbase for our companies new product line, I think
I shall think again!!!

Having convinced my boss to pay the exorbitant upgrade cost to Delphi
c/s V4 (not far off the price of buying a new copy) I reckon he would
baulk at 190 per seat, I know our clients would ;-)

--
Adam Willoughby

Re:Dear Inprise - Please make Interbase 5 more affordable !

In article <36c9ca81.432219...@news.erols.com>, Peter Gens
<pe...@gens.net> wrote

>Out of interest, would your boss balk at the cost of the same number
>of seats for Oracle?

My boss would rather use MS SQL which most of our clients have, with
their own licenses already, it would cost us nothing extra but is a
right pain in the back side. In an ideal world Inprise would be able to
supply Delphi with a decent DBMS which had no hidden licensing costs.
--
Adam Willoughby

Re:Dear Inprise - Please make Interbase 5 more affordable !

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 23:58:51 +0000, Sam King

<ability_microsyst...@compuserve.com> wrote:

>I  think affordability is always going to be a relative issue. What is cheap to
>some is expensive to others. I just want some incentive to change over to
>interbase. Some options that could be considered are: (1) Allow Interbase use by
>two computers for free. Any more than 2 computers then this would be chargeable.
>or (2) Make each licence cheap enough so as we don't even know we paid for it.
>eg sell a lot but with a little less margin and get loyal customers ( us )
>buying more and more. I sell mainly to the smaller business and not usually to
>the larger corporate. I would like to push interbase into such markets. Kind
>regards Sam.

[snip]

As mentioned in "Interbase Pricing" on the interbase.nontechnical
group, one figure that I have heard in context of another db solution
(for multi and single user use) is $10 a seat. IMHO, that is what I
call "chargeable but cheap enough " <G>

It would be nice to think that IB could one day replace Paradox for
commerical database apps...

--
Gary Wilmot
Senior Developer