Need help on building a VBX

Whats the best (and easiest) way of building a VBX?

Thanxxx in advance.

Re:Need help on building a VBX

Hello,

Ruud.Noorderm...@trendsoft.rcc-ivev.nl (Ruud Noordermeer) wrote:
>Whats the best (and easiest) way of building a VBX?

>Thanxxx in advance.

...ehhhh.... Use Visual Basic ????? ;-)

greetz -frank korpershoek-

"Frank.Korpershoek" <frank.korpersh...@nni.nl> wrote:
>Hello,
>Ruud.Noorderm...@trendsoft.rcc-ivev.nl (Ruud Noordermeer) wrote:
>>Whats the best (and easiest) way of building a VBX?
>...ehhhh.... Use Visual Basic ????? ;-)

  The original poster appears to be seriously asking a question, so I
will jump in to point out that you cannot (seriously folks) write a
VBX in visual basic.

As to the best way, I have no opinion.

cheers,
Tom

Re:Need help on building a VBX

>Hello,

>Ruud.Noorderm...@trendsoft.rcc-ivev.nl (Ruud Noordermeer) wrote:
>>Whats the best (and easiest) way of building a VBX?

>>Thanxxx in advance.

>...ehhhh.... Use Visual Basic ????? ;-)

Reusable code in VB???? gasp!  Anyhow, as a serious answer to your
question, the "best" way is to use VC++, and there is no "easiest"
way.  I suppose it could be done with Delphi, but there's no
documentation on how to do it.  You'd have to look at all the C++
documentation and try to translate.  BTW, if you're going to be using
32-bit Windows soon, you may not want to waste your time with VBX's
and write OCX's.  The specs are available from microsoft.

-David Prothero
-International Technology Group
-Salem, Oregon

In article <00009414+00000...@msn.com>, DPr...@msn.com (David Prothero) wrote:

>Reusable code in VB???? gasp!  Anyhow, as a serious answer to your
>question, the "best" way is to use VC++, and there is no "easiest"
>way.  I suppose it could be done with Delphi, but there's no
>documentation on how to do it.  You'd have to look at all the C++
>documentation and try to translate.  BTW, if you're going to be using
>32-bit Windows soon, you may not want to waste your time with VBX's
>and write OCX's.  The specs are available from microsoft.

It is as easy to write VBXs in Borland C++, Watcom C++, Borland Pascal
7.0 and Delphi. VC++ as the "best" is a myth (shame on you for propogating
such "microfugit" nonsense). Very sophisticated VBXs could be written
in Delphi using VCL components, but why bother. VBXs should be dead
(as they can only be 16bit.)

Vince
=====

Re:Need help on building a VBX

>It is as easy to write VBXs in Borland C++, Watcom C++, Borland Pascal
>7.0 and Delphi. VC++ as the "best" is a myth (shame on you for
>propogating such "microfugit" nonsense). Very sophisticated VBXs could
>be written in Delphi using VCL components, but why bother. VBXs should
>be dead (as they can only be 16bit.)

I figured VBX's could be created with Delphi... I haven't found
anything I couldn't do with it that I could do with C.  I suppose my
reasoning for saying VC++ was "best" is because the VBX standard is
microsoft's, and I've seen the most documentation for creating VBX's
with VC++...

However, all of this is a pointless discussion... why use VBX's when
you've got Delphi... (as well as VBX's being only 16bit).

-David Prothero
-International Technology Group
-Salem, Oregon

Re:Need help on building a VBX

Whats the best (and easiest) way of building a VBX?

Thanxxx in advance.

Ruud Noordermeer, Trendsoft NL                                )|(
E-mail: rno...@trendsoft.rcc-ivev.nl                         (0 -)
----------------------------------------------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo---------

Re:Need help on building a VBX

>Whats the best (and easiest) way of building a VBX?

Well, don't like to say it, but.. try using Visual Basic.... ;-)
I guess you don'y want to build a VBX, but a visual component. Delphi
i sshipped with a Components writer guide, where the process of
building one is described....

greetz -frank korpershoek-

Re:Need help on building a VBX

DP> However, all of this is a pointless discussion... why use VBX's w
DP> you've got Delphi... (as well as VBX's being only 16bit).

Entirely true. I laugh my head off each time I create a new component,
simply because its so damn easy! :)

--
Mr. HillBilly (hillbi...@programmers.bbs.no)
Heaven on earth: Programmers BBS!

Now it seems the sea will be my grave...
                                        Past - Dream Theater
HR 0.01

vin...@iaccess.za (Vince Risi) writes:
> It is as easy to write VBXs in Borland C++, Watcom C++, Borland Pascal
> 7.0 and Delphi. VC++ as the "best" is a myth (shame on you for propogating
> such "microfugit" nonsense). Very sophisticated VBXs could be written
> in Delphi using VCL components, but why bother. VBXs should be dead
> (as they can only be 16bit.)

Why bother?  Because after you get 32 bit delphi, you can recompile and
release as OCX.

Regards,
Don.

Re:Need help on building a VBX

Subject: Re: Need help on building a VBX

>32-bit Windows soon, you may not want to waste your time with VBX's
>and write OCX's.  The specs are available from microsoft.

     And they are heavily tied to C++.  It does say any language that can do
pointers can do it, but it mentions NOTHING about them.

     It just expects that everyone knows how every underworking of the C++
model works, and how it creates its Virtual tables, or use C++.

     I think they did that to try to force more people to C++.

     I did not expect sample code in anything else, but at least the VBX docs
you can read it without having to know C.  (Which I do). The VBX CDK
explains, "Pointer goes here", "here is the structure in memory"...

     Not the OCX docs.

_
"640K ought to be enough for anybody." (Bill Gates, 1981)
QWicKeSST - The ultimate database QWK reader, and NO limits. #BLYGJOMK
Special Compile: 1.008A (Alpha)

'[1;35;40m-=> Delphi Internet Jet SST v3.013A (Alpha) - (C) PBE

Other Threads