Board index » delphi » Cursor problems in IDE

Cursor problems in IDE

I have this same problem with the QuickBASIC editor as well but it is
more pronounced in Turbo Pascal.  The problem is that when using any
of the cursor movement keys, including home, delete, end, pgup,
pgdown,  they are converted to the numeric keypad equivalent.  So as I
am cursoring throug a line I get scattered numbers inserted instead of
moving the cursor.  Also,  the shift and ctrl keys like to activate
automatically.  Moving the cursor will either begin highlighting a
block or skipping words depending on which key wants to activate.  I
can unlock the key by pressing each key several times but a few
minutes later the same problem occurs.  Does any one know why this is
happening?  I would greatly appreciate any information that might
remedy the situation as it is extremely annoying.

TIA

---------------------------------------------------
Anthony Martinez        |   Line noise provided
amart...@mlx.net   |   by Pacific Bell.

 

Re:Cursor problems in IDE


I have exactly the same problem and noone can help me. But when I set up
"Fast A20 Gate" option in BIOS (AMI, 1992) problem magically disappears.

Hope this help, reagrds
                     Serge

Re:Cursor problems in IDE


In article <4eh867$...@news.connectnet.com>
           amart...@mlx.net "Anthony Martinez" writes:

Quote
> I have this same problem with the QuickBASIC editor as well but it is
> more pronounced in Turbo Pascal.  The problem is that when using any
> of the cursor movement keys, including home, delete, end, pgup,
> pgdown,  they are converted to the numeric keypad equivalent.  So as I
> am cursoring throug a line I get scattered numbers inserted instead of
> moving the cursor.  

That is because your numlock key is on.. on your keyboard.

Quote
> Also,  the shift and ctrl keys like to activate
> automatically.  Moving the cursor will either begin highlighting a
> block or skipping words depending on which key wants to activate.  I
> can unlock the key by pressing each key several times but a few
> minutes later the same problem occurs.  Does any one know why this is
> happening?  I would greatly appreciate any information that might
> remedy the situation as it is extremely annoying.

Ok then.. You have a keyboard error. Your keyboard is faulty. You can fix
it though but for the price it is not really worth it.. but if you really
don't  want to shell out then open up the keyboard with a screwdriver and
you should see several sheets of plastic with strips on them etc.. these
are conductors that pick up the keypresses, they may have switches on them
if you have a switch keyboard or just contacts. Anyway, wipe these down with
a damp cloth but make sure they do not get *too* wet because you may short
something.. after that, dry them *thoroughly*. If you're lucky then the
keyboard should work again if not then it may be the switches or the chips in
the keyboard, or possibly the BIOS in the computer..

Well that's all I can offer.. Hey everyone post a followup to this if I got
it wrong.. always works for me when I fix 'em.

Quote

> TIA

> ---------------------------------------------------
> Anthony Martinez        |   Line noise provided
> amart...@mlx.net        |   by Pacific Bell.

Cheers, 8-)

--
Peter Cooper

Re:Cursor problems in IDE


Re:Cursor problems in IDE


 AM> I have this same problem with the QuickBASIC editor as well but it is
 AM> more pronounced in Turbo Pascal.  The problem is that when using any
 AM> of the cursor movement keys, including home, delete, end, pgup,
 AM> pgdown,  they are converted to the numeric keypad equivalent.

The problem is with the keyboard controler.  There is also a
QEMM option that affects this.  I think putting COPUNTRY= ... in
your startup files is supposed to help.

Jud McCranie

 * Silver Xpress V4.02B03P SW20178

Re:Cursor problems in IDE


Re:Cursor problems in IDE


 Re: Cursor problems in IDE

 PC> From: Peter Cooper <Pe...@trenham.demon.co.uk>
 PC> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 96 19:20:13 GMT
 PC> Organization: Peco Software

 PC> In article <4eh867$...@news.connectnet.com>
 PC>            amart...@mlx.net "Anthony Martinez" writes:

Quote
>> I have this same problem with the QuickBASIC editor as well but it is
>> more pronounced in Turbo Pascal.  The problem is that when using any
>> of the cursor movement keys, including home, delete, end, pgup,
>> pgdown,  they are converted to the numeric keypad equivalent.  So as I
>> am cursoring throug a line I get scattered numbers inserted instead of
>> moving the cursor.  

 PC> That is because your numlock key is on.. on your keyboard.

Etc.

 PC> Well that's all I can offer.. Hey everyone post a followup to this if I
 PC> got
 PC> it wrong.. always works for me when I fix 'em.

In some cases the problem is a bug in the BIOS, the best
workaround is to load the MS-DOS command KEYB in your
autoexec.bat, like KEYB US  (US for a qwerty keyboard)

Nico Kralt
--
| Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly his own.

Other Threads