User access rights on shared Paradox files

I have a library program which was originally coded to satisfy a single user
on a standalone machine.  However, such has been its popularity, that they
now wish a number of people to have access to the database.

Though it is a fairly trivial task to add individual access rights to each
file in the database, to enable/disable selected field rights, can anyone
direct me to some good guidance on Paradox user access rights, and if there
are any utilities that make this easier/more manageable than the one found
in the database desktop.

Many thanks

Re:User access rights on shared Paradox files

You will probably find it much easier to build access control into the
client application.

--
Bill

Re:User access rights on shared Paradox files

I was thinking this, but again I need direction to a good source of reading
material/examples.  Any ideas?

Bill Todd (TeamB) <billtodd...@nospam.qwest.net> wrote in message

> You will probably find it much easier to build access control into the
> client application.

> --
> Bill

Re:User access rights on shared Paradox files

I don't recall ever having seen anything written on this subject.

--
Bill

Re:User access rights on shared Paradox files

Hi Robert!

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:24:13 +0100, "Robert Edgar"

<robert.ed...@wsh-tr.anglox.nhs.uk> wrote:
>I was thinking this, but again I need direction to a good source of reading
>material/examples.  Any ideas?

Here is one idea!

Organize your app in one or more dlls with exported functions that
each represent small unit of work and then have a separate table in
your database which will tell what user can execute what dlls/function
and you can even specify standard input arguments and define that in
this rights table also.

When user starts your app a login dialog is shown and when user
identifies to the system then you can build menu/button structure on a
main form according to his rights...

this is a framework, you see if this is of some value for you...

I am using this especialy with large app when I break app into more
dlls which are easier to develop and distribute eventual
changes/fixes.

Then, also consider using packages of course.

tomi.

Re:User access rights on shared Paradox files

> I am using this especialy with large app when I break app into more
> dlls which are easier to develop and distribute eventual
> changes/fixes.

Ok, here's a question:

I've got 550,000 lines of code, my compiled app peaks at almost 14mb. (But
must admit all works no problems).

Since the program is designed along "modules" anyway, I thought it would be
nice to break the program into DLLs. However that would mean 10 separate
delphi projects.

I couldn't then work on the program as a whole any more, I would have to
keep swapping into each project if I wanted to look at code affected by the
module I was working on (which happens all of the time).

And then when it comes to compile, I can't make changes on several projects
(assuming I live with the first problem) and have them all compile, I would
need to do it on each project.

Thus, this doesn't seem that good a suggestion at all, especially if the
project is being developed and tested - when you need to access all of the
code the most.

Distribution would be an issue also - what if they get a new dll that relies
on something fixed in another dll which they don't have yet? I just
distribute one application and never worry about libraries being out of
synch.

Btw, if I build all like I would have to if the things were split, even on
my fast machine it takes a couple of minutes.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Darren

Re:User access rights on shared Paradox files

Hi Darren!

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:30:01 +0800, "Darren Lyon"

<hardt...@newton.dialix.com.au> wrote:
>Since the program is designed along "modules" anyway, I thought it would be
>nice to break the program into DLLs. However that would mean 10 separate
>delphi projects.

10 projects that can be put in one project group. From Delphi4 on
there is a projet group so that you can put more projects together in
one project manager list...

>I couldn't then work on the program as a whole any more, I would have to
>keep swapping into each project if I wanted to look at code affected by the
>module I was working on (which happens all of the time).

If you are using some forms as a base class and inherit forms in
diferent projects from that base class then you should make use of run
time packages. You put all the code you will need in more then one
project DLL into the runtime package and then also include the code in
every DLL project file but specify that DLL will use mentioned runtime
package so your DLL will not compile the code that is in package but
will require the runtime package to be present with the exe.

That was the answer if I properly understood your question.

>And then when it comes to compile, I can't make changes on several projects
>(assuming I live with the first problem) and have them all compile, I would
>need to do it on each project.

Project group can compile all the projects in a group.

>Thus, this doesn't seem that good a suggestion at all, especially if the
>project is being developed and tested - when you need to access all of the
>code the most.

In Project group you can have more projects and see all the units from
them in a list if you want and also open and edit them...

>Distribution would be an issue also - what if they get a new dll that relies
>on something fixed in another dll which they don't have yet? I just
>distribute one application and never worry about libraries being out of
>synch.

Usualy you would make your DLLs mutualy non dependent. They can only
depend on one runtime package that holds all the code that will be
used on more instances...

When you make changes on one DLL you distribute only that. If you make
changes on a shared code in run time package then it might be required
to rebuild one/more DLLs and redistribute them also.

>Btw, if I build all like I would have to if the things were split, even on
>my fast machine it takes a couple of minutes.

What takes a couple of minutes? If you are talking about spliting then
it would take more then a couple of minutes because you will have to
think a little before you decide what goes where and then create
actual DLL project files and then debug all the errors. If you decide
to go I can send you one of my DLL project files if you want...

>What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are hovering me all the time, can't take any rest... :)

tomi.

Other Threads