Installing BDE during Deployment

I am installing the full BDE using Installshield Express with Delphi 2.01.
Will I corrupt WordPerfect, Paradox, Quattro Pro, etc.  when the IDAPI dlls
are updated from my Delphi application installation?  This is a question I
am sure many of my users will ask.

Thanks,
Dawn Pennell
dpenn...@census.gov

Re:Installing BDE during Deployment

"Dawn M Pennell" <dpenn...@census.gov> wrote:

>I am installing the full BDE using Installshield Express with Delphi 2.01.
>Will I corrupt WordPerfect, Paradox, Quattro Pro, etc.  when the IDAPI dlls
>are updated from my Delphi application installation?  This is a question I
>am sure many of my users will ask.

That's a problem I have too : I haven't found yet how to install the BDE
(or Delphi itself, for that matter) on some network directory and have
workstations do their local install from the net (like the network
install on MS products).

Trouble is, when I install the BDE locally, it does not find the shared
CFG file (IDAPI.CFG, ODAPI.CFG, BDE.CFG, IDAPINEW.CFG, you name it),
so I have to run BDECF32 after the install.

Anyone got a better way ?
Frederic G. MARAND: f...@soon.com

On 15 Jul 1997 11:43:10 GMT, "Dawn M Pennell" <dpenn...@census.gov> wrote:

>I am installing the full BDE using Installshield Express with Delphi 2.01.
>Will I corrupt WordPerfect, Paradox, Quattro Pro, etc.  when the IDAPI dlls
>are updated from my Delphi application installation?  This is a question I
>am sure many of my users will ask.

InstallShield Express will only install and overwrite files when the ones
in the destination directory are older (older version and older dates). But
the BDE aliases themselves should be fine.

You can always test your install on a different machine...

Happy coding

Stefan Paetow
ellipse data systems

== owner@ ==
== ellipse- ==
== data.com ==
== Fix the ==
== above for ==
== address ==

-
=  Any opinions here are my personal opinions, not those of my company  =
=            Home on the web: http://www.ellipse-data.com/              =
=             Delphi Super Page: http://ftp.is.co.za/dsp/               =
=  Delphi User Groups in South Africa: http://www.delphi.co.za/dugg/    =

Re:Installing BDE during Deployment

I use Eschalon Setup Pro because InstallSheild was corrupting my
indexes on the destination machine.  Also, I think ES is easier
and produces a much better looking installation (and uninstaller)
program.  Also InstallShield wouldn't let you make shortcuts
on the Start menu.  ES is just a much better program.

Frederic MARAND <f...@soon.com> wrote in article
<5qhp5j$...@chleuasme.francenet.fr>...

--
Bob-o-Bob
Delphi and MFC Programming

The opinions expressed by Bob are in no way
supported by his parents.

Re:Installing BDE during Deployment

see the signature below for address
<r...@root.root.tree.root.root.leaf.root> wrote in article
<33cd675f.10480...@news.icon.co.za>...

> On 15 Jul 1997 11:43:10 GMT, "Dawn M Pennell" <dpenn...@census.gov>
wrote:
> >I am installing the full BDE using Installshield Express with Delphi
2.01.
> >Will I corrupt WordPerfect, Paradox, Quattro Pro, etc.  when the IDAPI
dlls
> >are updated from my Delphi application installation?  This is a question
> >am sure many of my users will ask.

> InstallShield Express will only install and overwrite files when the ones
> in the destination directory are older (older version and older dates).
But
> the BDE aliases themselves should be fine.

I am not so sure about the Aliases.  InstallShield (at least in early D2)
had a problem with erasing aliases on the destination machine.
Not a good feature in an installer "approved" for use by Borland!

On 20 Jul 1997 03:06:56 GMT, "Bob-o-Bob" <pal...@nlci.not.com> wrote:

>I am not so sure about the Aliases.  InstallShield (at least in early D2)
>had a problem with erasing aliases on the destination machine.
>Not a good feature in an installer "approved" for use by Borland!

That was Version 1.00. I believe Version 1.11a does not have that problem.

Happy coding

Stefan Paetow
ellipse data systems

== owner@ ==
== ellipse- ==
== data.com ==
== Fix the ==
== above for ==
== address ==

-

On 20 Jul 1997 03:11:58 GMT, "Bob-o-Bob" <pal...@nlci.not.com> wrote:

>I use Eschalon Setup Pro because InstallSheild was corrupting my
>indexes on the destination machine.  Also, I think ES is easier
>and produces a much better looking installation (and uninstaller)
>program.  Also InstallShield wouldn't let you make shortcuts
>on the Start menu.  ES is just a much better program.

InstallShield didn't supply such a method because that was not the
preferred method in the Windows Installation Guidelines. However Versions
1.1, 1.11a and 2.01 have those options.

Happy coding

Stefan Paetow
ellipse data systems

== owner@ ==
== ellipse- ==
== data.com ==
== Fix the ==
== above for ==
== address ==

-
=  Any opinions here are my personal opinions, not those of my company  =
=            Home on the web: http://www.ellipse-data.com/              =
=             Delphi Super Page: http://ftp.is.co.za/dsp/               =
=  Delphi User Groups in South Africa: http://www.delphi.co.za/dugg/    =

Re:Installing BDE during Deployment

So it was a bug and I wondered what I did
wrong... Is there some free upgrades available
from v 1.0?

> >I am not so sure about the Aliases.

InstallShield (at least in early D2)
> >had a problem with erasing aliases on the

destination machine.
> >Not a good feature in an installer "approved"
for use by Borland!

> That was Version 1.00. I believe Version 1.11a

does not have that problem.

|_o_
   |  |         This message was brought to you by
Fredrik Larsson.
_/ \_            mail2fred @ hotmail.com (space spam
protect)

* Home          http://home3.swipnet.se/~w-33398/