MS SQL 6.5 Record locking with TTable

Hello,

We're using Delphi 3.0 CS and BDE 5.01 using MS SQL 6.5 via SQL LINKS. When
we open a table using TTable component, and then another user tries to
update/insert data using Table or Query component. It locks the whole
application. Can anyone guide , what can be wrong here ?. This is not a
problem with liveQuery or using ODBC though.

Tauseef Shazad
tsf...@hotmail.com

Re:MS SQL 6.5 Record locking with TTable

I believe you can create this with Delphi IDE. I think it is bug in lates
sqlLinks driver.  Try using odbc connection.  I would encourage you to move
to TQuery components as soon as possible.
tauseef wrote in message <7c5218$ht...@forums.borland.com>...
>Hello,

>We're using Delphi 3.0 CS and BDE 5.01 using MS SQL 6.5 via SQL LINKS. When
>we open a table using TTable component, and then another user tries to
>update/insert data using Table or Query component. It locks the whole
>application. Can anyone guide , what can be wrong here ?. This is not a
>problem with liveQuery or using ODBC though.

>Tauseef Shazad
>tsf...@hotmail.com

Re:MS SQL 6.5 Record locking with TTable

Tauseef:

SS6.5 does not offer "row-level" locking, so when you attempt to lock a
record, SS locks a "page".  Typically, a page is many records.  This may
give the appearance of locking the entire table, if you attempt to lock
other records that are touched by that page.

A less-likely answer: Your settings for LE (lock-escalation threshold)
may be set so low that you are triggering a table lock.

I understand that SS7 actually provides row-level locking, but I haven't
tried it.

mIKE

Other Threads