HELP!!!: BDE Memo/String field problem!?!!?!

Ok here is the problem:
A function in Oracle returns a string... the BDE does not know how long
this string is (20 chars long for what it is worth), therefore it
presents it as a memo field. This is not good at all!!! I tried to sub
string this returned value in a query out of the memo to force it to be
20 long... this works in BDE versions prior to 5.x.

Is there any way to make the BDE see a string as a string and not a
memo? Working with memos is in general a pain, but much more so when the
  fields are not supposed to be memos, and more so if the resulting data
set return much more rows as the BLOBS_TO_CACHE is set to. Increasing
the blobs to cache every time there is more records is not an option,
and if you don't then you can only use the records in the data set in a
sequential manner otherwise it is "Invalid Blob handle" time.

Any help will be VERY, VERY kind!

Re:HELP!!!: BDE Memo/String field problem!?!!?!

Are you saying that SELECT SUBSTR(MYFUNCTION, 1, 20) "NAME"  no longer
works?  If not, I can only recommend you switch to Direct Oracle Access,
where this problem does not occur.

John Pierce

Re:HELP!!!: BDE Memo/String field problem!?!!?!

Yes, it seems like SELECT SUBSTR(MYFUNCTION, 1, 20) "NAME"  no longer
works... for my current configuration at least. If the sub-sting is used the
field where the value is supposed to be in is empty (heck!, it does not make
sense), although without the sub-string the memo does have a value in.

Thank you for the DOA recommendation! If we can not find a work-around then
hopefully my manager will consider it.

Johannes

"John Pierce" <jpie...@healthplanning.com> wrote in message

> Are you saying that SELECT SUBSTR(MYFUNCTION, 1, 20) "NAME"  no longer
> works?  If not, I can only recommend you switch to Direct Oracle Access,
> where this problem does not occur.

> John Pierce

Re:HELP!!!: BDE Memo/String field problem!?!!?!

We  found the problem that caused the SUBSTR(MyString, 1, 20) to fail. It
was a patch that was supplied on a CD by Borland.... no patch, no problem.

"JGrobler" <JGrob...@ForestHealth.Com> wrote in message

> Ok here is the problem:
> A function in Oracle returns a string... the BDE does not know how long
> this string is (20 chars long for what it is worth), therefore it
> presents it as a memo field. This is not good at all!!! I tried to sub
> string this returned value in a query out of the memo to force it to be
> 20 long... this works in BDE versions prior to 5.x.

> Is there any way to make the BDE see a string as a string and not a
> memo? Working with memos is in general a pain, but much more so when the
>   fields are not supposed to be memos, and more so if the resulting data
> set return much more rows as the BLOBS_TO_CACHE is set to. Increasing
> the blobs to cache every time there is more records is not an option,
> and if you don't then you can only use the records in the data set in a
> sequential manner otherwise it is "Invalid Blob handle" time.

> Any help will be VERY, VERY kind!

Other Threads