Problems distributing App using MSAccess 97 native drivers

I have seen several reports here of people having difficulty
distributing Delphi/MSAcess 97 (BDE 4.51 MSACCESS native driver)
applications using the Installshield Express that came with Delphi 3.0.
I just completed and distributed such an application yesterday with no
problem and I thought I would share what I did to make it work.

(1)  First, as many have pointed out, change the driver dll in the
BDEAdmin for the MSACCESS driver to IDDA3532.DLL (from IDDAO32.DLL).

(2)  Locate a file named swdepend.ini in the Installshield directory.
Open this file in notepad.  Every place you find an entry for
IDDAO32.DLL, enter a corresponding line for IDDA3532.DLL (you could just
replace the IDDAO32.DLL line but you might as well distribute both
drivers).  If you have VB4 installed, make sure you don't modify the
swdepend.ini in \Windows\System.  That one is used by the VB4 setup
wizard, not Installshield.

(3)  Use Installshield to create your setup diskettes.  Installshield
will use the entries in swdepend.ini to determine which files should be
included with the BDE distribution.  When you specify a BDE application,
Installshield will automatically pick up IDDA3532.DLL and you will see
it listed as one of the BDE files in the Installshield's 'Files and
Components' dialog.

(4)  Run your setup on your user's machine.

(5)  On your user's machine, start BDEAdmin and check the driver DLL for
the MSACCESS driver.  I had to reset this from IDDAO32.DLL to
IDDA3532.DLL on my user's machine.  If you had Installshield create an
alias, double-check the database path.  On my setup, the alias was
created but the database path was set to a generic,  default value
rather than the path I specified in Installshield.

That was all there was to it.  My application came up and worked
perfectly.  Given that, I can't see any reason to go and spend a couple
of hundred dollars on a new version of Installshield when the one that
came with D3 works just fine with a couple of minor tweaks.
Ray Porter
Applications Analyst Programmer
Administrative Information Services, UNC-CH
Phone: 966-5878
email: l...@email.adp.unc.edu
         dra...@email.unc.edu
Home Page: http://www.adp.unc.edu/~allrp/

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Re:Problems distributing App using MSAccess 97 native drivers

But you had to do tweaking on the user's side as well, outside of the
installation program, right?  The installation program should be self
contained and do everything needed to have the application work when run
the first time.  That is what an installation program does.

Ray Porter wrote:

> I have seen several reports here of people having difficulty
> distributing Delphi/MSAcess 97 (BDE 4.51 MSACCESS native driver)
> applications using the Installshield Express that came with Delphi 3.0.
> I just completed and distributed such an application yesterday with no
> problem and I thought I would share what I did to make it work.

> (1)  First, as many have pointed out, change the driver dll in the
> BDEAdmin for the MSACCESS driver to IDDA3532.DLL (from IDDAO32.DLL).

> (2)  Locate a file named swdepend.ini in the Installshield directory.
> Open this file in notepad.  Every place you find an entry for
> IDDAO32.DLL, enter a corresponding line for IDDA3532.DLL (you could just
> replace the IDDAO32.DLL line but you might as well distribute both
> drivers).  If you have VB4 installed, make sure you don't modify the
> swdepend.ini in \Windows\System.  That one is used by the VB4 setup
> wizard, not Installshield.

> (3)  Use Installshield to create your setup diskettes.  Installshield
> will use the entries in swdepend.ini to determine which files should be
> included with the BDE distribution.  When you specify a BDE application,
> Installshield will automatically pick up IDDA3532.DLL and you will see
> it listed as one of the BDE files in the Installshield's 'Files and
> Components' dialog.

> (4)  Run your setup on your user's machine.

> (5)  On your user's machine, start BDEAdmin and check the driver DLL for
> the MSACCESS driver.  I had to reset this from IDDAO32.DLL to
> IDDA3532.DLL on my user's machine.  If you had Installshield create an
> alias, double-check the database path.  On my setup, the alias was
> created but the database path was set to a generic,  default value
> rather than the path I specified in Installshield.

> That was all there was to it.  My application came up and worked
> perfectly.  Given that, I can't see any reason to go and spend a couple
> of hundred dollars on a new version of Installshield when the one that
> came with D3 works just fine with a couple of minor tweaks.
> --
> Ray Porter
> Applications Analyst Programmer
> Administrative Information Services, UNC-CH
> Phone: 966-5878
> email: l...@email.adp.unc.edu
>          dra...@email.unc.edu
> Home Page: http://www.adp.unc.edu/~allrp/

> "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
> for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

--
signature file below this line
Reach me by ICQ. My ICQ# is 505522 or,