I need help on some windows internals

Hi,

  I'm a pascal/Delphi programmer.

- I want to know how to get the Hard disk Volume serial number.
- I want to know how to protect a floppy disk from being copied.
- In Delphi32 programming there are no Seg(), Ofs() functions,So how to
write an address in the ES register to use it with (int 13) asm routine.

Please reply soon

Thanks
Hossam
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/8790/h_rady.html

Re:I need help on some windows internals

>- In Delphi32 programming there are no Seg(), Ofs() functions,So how to
>write an address in the ES register to use it with (int 13) asm routine.

You can't call INT 13, or indeed any other software interrupts, in a 32-bit
Windows application. If you want to directly access the disk device, see the
documentation for CreateFile() in NT or Exclusive Volume Locking in Win95.

David McCabe
david.mcc...@balliol.ox.ac.uk

Re:I need help on some windows internals

In article <355636C7.5...@dataxprs.com.eg>,
Hossam Rady  <h_r...@dataxprs.com.eg> wrote:
:  I'm a pascal/Delphi programmer.
:- I want to know how to get the Hard disk Volume serial number.

 83) How can I read a disk's Volume Serial Number?

 138630 May 10 1998 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsfaqp.zip
 tsfaqp.zip Common Turbo Pascal Questions and Timo's answers

Followups radically pruned down.

   All the best, Timo

Moderating at ftp:// & http://garbo.uwasa.fi/ archives 193.166.120.5

Spam foiling in effect.  My email filter autoresponder will return a
required email password to users not yet in the privileges database.

Re:I need help on some windows internals

Under Windows it is a really bad idea to start calling interupts and the
like. Windows really needs to know what is going on and really hates people
doing things it does not know about. (All sorts of {*word*193} things can happen).
You really should use the Windows API. I used to enjoy calling interupts and
the like when I programmed for DOS but in the Windows age there is little
need. I have found there is always a way of doing things using the API.
Sorry I dont have an answer to your question but I'm sure someone else will
suggest something.

Sam :^).

In article <355636C7.5...@dataxprs.com.eg>, h_r...@dataxprs.com.eg says...

>Hi,

>  I'm a pascal/Delphi programmer.

>- I want to know how to get the Hard disk Volume serial number.

Use GetVolumeInformation to retrieve the serial number.

--
Yours Carl Verner Skou
---

Re:I need help on some windows internals

I have the same problem, but i am programing in VFP5.0 I need answer on 1.
and 2. question. Thanks in advance.
Brgds Djole

Hossam Rady wrote:
> Hi,

>   I'm a pascal/Delphi programmer.

> - I want to know how to get the Hard disk Volume serial number.
> - I want to know how to protect a floppy disk from being copied.
> - In Delphi32 programming there are no Seg(), Ofs() functions,So how to
> write an address in the ES register to use it with (int 13) asm routine.

> Please reply soon

> Thanks
> Hossam
> http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/8790/h_rady.html

Re:I need help on some windows internals

Try this web site for information on the hard drive serial number
thingy:
http://www.inprise.com/pascal/
I saw a downloadable file there for getting a hard drive serial
number.  I've seen it on some other sites as well.
NOTE:  You might need to download some of the files twice, for some
reason, some of them do not come across as actual zip files all the
time.

Peace

On Mon, 11 May 1998 02:22:47 +0300, Hossam Rady

<h_r...@dataxprs.com.eg> wrote:
>Hi,

>  I'm a pascal/Delphi programmer.

>- I want to know how to get the Hard disk Volume serial number.
>- I want to know how to protect a floppy disk from being copied.
>- In Delphi32 programming there are no Seg(), Ofs() functions,So how to
>write an address in the ES register to use it with (int 13) asm routine.

>Please reply soon

>Thanks
>Hossam
>http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/8790/h_rady.html