Delphi 2.0 (U.S. Version) prices in Japan

I'm contemplating purchasing Delphi 2.0 (English Version)
  here in Japan.  Before doing so, I'd like to compare
  prices.  In my small group, Borland in addition to it's always busy
  telephone lines (busy signal from the start of work; recorded
  message at EXACTLY 5:01 p.m.) is THOUGHT to inflate prices
  somewhat.

Even that guy named Steve T. put out his DDG in Japanese with
  only a  fraction of the information of the English edition for
  $60.00.  Then he slaps us in the face (sorry if intended meaning
  is wrong) with a second version for $40.00.

Anyway, here are the prices (check out http://www.borland.or.jp
  for proof):

     - desktop 48,000 yen ($480.00)
     - developer 78,000 yen ($780.00)
     - c/s 248,000 yen ($2,480.00)

Re:Delphi 2.0 (U.S. Version) prices in Japan

Yo wrote:

> Even that guy named Steve T. put out his DDG in Japanese with
>   only a  fraction of the information of the English edition for
>   $60.00.  Then he slaps us in the face (sorry if intended meaning
>   is wrong) with a second version for $40.00.

Whoa, hold on there!  I would appreciate it if you checked the facts
before you accuse someone of slapping your face.  Authors generally
have *zero* say in anything other than the contents of the book.
Every other aspect of the book, including pricing, translations, cover
art, etc. is *totally* controlled by the publisher.  I didn't even know
Delphi Developer's Guide was translated into Japanese until a Fedex
containing a copy of my book in Japanese showed up on my doorstep.  If
you're unhappy with the pricing, you should take it up with Macmillan
Computer Publishing.
--

        -Steve Teixeira
         steix...@borland.com

Re:Delphi 2.0 (U.S. Version) prices in Japan

>     - desktop 48,000 yen ($480.00)
>     - developer 78,000 yen ($780.00)
>     - c/s 248,000 yen ($2,480.00)

        These look like valid RETAIL prices, however almost noone buys retail....

_
NOTE: This software is currently in early alpha. If you notice any
problems, or RFC non-compliance, please report it to p...@pobox.com
-Please do not report duplicates, as this is usually a manual resend
-Still working on the references problem......It WILL get fixed
|Chad Z. Hower  -  phoe...@pobox.com                         |
|Phoenix Business Enterprises - p...@pobox.com - www.pbe.com  |
|Physically in Church Hill, TN - Logically Not Sure          |

>>SQUID - The ultimate 95/NT offline databasing reader

**Special Compile: 3.000A (Alpha)

Re:Delphi 2.0 (U.S. Version) prices in Japan

> Even that guy named Steve T. put out his DDG in Japanese with

 >before you accuse someone of slapping your face.  Authors generally
 >have *zero* say in anything other than the contents of the book.

The way I understand it being an "Author" is even more like being a
{*word*275} than is being a contract "software developer":-)

I have only had one article published in a an international periodical.
I was very impressed with what I ended up _not_ saying, in the final
draft, about the publishing organization's new network:-)

Steve is right.  In many instances, even your "stream of consciousness"
can be "modified to suit".

Fred
---
 t SRP 2.00 #1203 t OS/2 = 0