Delphi MS SQL Server & Oracle

Hello,

We recently purchased Delphi 7 Enterprise for a project that we are working
on for a customer. The customer would like us to read information directly
from their Oracle server. Currently, I do not have access to Oracle within
our company, but we do have MS SQL Server.

What are the steps involved with connecting to MS SQL Server and Oracle from
a D7 application?

Thanks,
Brian Wheatley

Re:Delphi MS SQL Server & Oracle

Oracle:
Use DOA (Direct Oracle Access) from www.allroundautomations.com  Price is
pretty cheap also last I checked.  beats any other method I've used to
connect to oracle (ODBC, ADO, BDE).

SQL Server:
The provided ADO components work fine.

"Brian Wheatley" <bria...@brechbuhler.com> wrote in message

> Hello,

> We recently purchased Delphi 7 Enterprise for a project that we are
working
> on for a customer. The customer would like us to read information directly
> from their Oracle server. Currently, I do not have access to Oracle within
> our company, but we do have MS SQL Server.

> What are the steps involved with connecting to MS SQL Server and Oracle
from
> a D7 application?

> Thanks,
> Brian Wheatley

Re:Delphi MS SQL Server & Oracle

I was hoping that there would be some way to do this through a standard
Delphi object type (dbGo, dbExpress, etc.), so that the program could be
changed from MS SQL (in house development) to Oracle at the end user's
location without rewriting the code.

Brian

"Dmeister" <da...@malikyar.com> wrote in message

> Oracle:
> Use DOA (Direct Oracle Access) from www.allroundautomations.com  Price is
> pretty cheap also last I checked.  beats any other method I've used to
> connect to oracle (ODBC, ADO, BDE).

> SQL Server:
> The provided ADO components work fine.

> "Brian Wheatley" <bria...@brechbuhler.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,

> > We recently purchased Delphi 7 Enterprise for a project that we are
> working
> > on for a customer. The customer would like us to read information
directly
> > from their Oracle server. Currently, I do not have access to Oracle
within
> > our company, but we do have MS SQL Server.

> > What are the steps involved with connecting to MS SQL Server and Oracle
> from
> > a D7 application?

> > Thanks,
> > Brian Wheatley

Re:Delphi MS SQL Server & Oracle

> I was hoping that there would be some way to do this through a standard
> Delphi object type (dbGo, dbExpress, etc.), so that the program could be
> changed from MS SQL (in house development) to Oracle at the end user's
> location without rewriting the code.

> Brian

The only option that comes near your wishes would be the dbExpress
equivalents from ODAC for SQL server and Oracle (www.crlab.com). From what
I've heard/read however you either have to use very generic SQL or you'll be
beter of installing an Oracle server inhouse (or hire a consultant to do so)
otherwise you'll be rewriting a lot of code (Microsoft has a very long
article about migrating from Oracle to SQL server, so I assume it will be
the same the other way around).

hth,
Martin

Re:Delphi MS SQL Server & Oracle

Thanks, that looks like the ticket.

As far as the SQL goes, that shouldn't be a problem. All I need to do is to
look up a couple of fields in one table by searching for an order number.
Everything else will be done in a native DB (FlashFiler 2).

Brian

> Thanks, that looks like the ticket.

> As far as the SQL goes, that shouldn't be a problem. All I need to do is
> look up a couple of fields in one table by searching for an order number.
> Everything else will be done in a native DB (FlashFiler 2).

> Brian

ok, be sure to look in the dbexpress newsgroup, some people seem to have
found some differences between these dbExpress drivers and the official
dbExpress behaviour. Not using them myself I couldn't tell wether or not
this is a major problem.

regards,
Martin

Re:Delphi MS SQL Server & Oracle

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:35:28 -0500, "Brian Wheatley"

<bria...@brechbuhler.com> wrote:
>I was hoping that there would be some way to do this through a standard
>Delphi object type (dbGo, dbExpress, etc.), so that the program could be
>changed from MS SQL (in house development) to Oracle at the end user's
>location without rewriting the code.

Start dreaming! As soon as you start using the SQL dialects of Oracle
and SQL Server, you're basically breaking the dream of being
DB-independant - forget it, won't work.

I would STRONGLY advise you to get an Oracle for inhouse development -
developing on SQL Server and then "just migrating" to SQL Server is
like writing in Java, and then just recompiling in Delphi :-)

The two systems are so totally different, you won't be very lucky and
successful trying to do development on one and deployment on the
other. Don't - it won't work.

Marc

Other Threads