.DLL ou .DCU (Package) - Please help me!!!!

My company works in the following way:

I have a package with more or less 5000 sources. Now I work with
PROGRESS, when I have an alteration in my system, I alter and
immediately send (via modem) for the customer, only it altered source
(which possesses 2k of size).
Placing this package (my System) in DELPHI, that is to say, a EXE just,
we believed that this will be with more or less 9 to 10 Mb. The number
of sources, we believed that will be more or less. The problem is that
when some law (here in Brazil it happens direct) of having imposed, I
will have to order the application for the customer, that is to say, 10
Mb through modem.
Which the exit for this?
Which the best form for my company to work.DCU (sausage in several
packages -.DPK packages) or.DLL? Which depending the fastest?

Please, I need this answer of somebody that is passing or that already
went by this dilemma.

Thanks in advance - presto...@usa.net

Re:.DLL ou .DCU (Package) - Please help me!!!!

Ok, <cue deep breath>...

The size of your system *may* not be as large as you think. Delphi's
compiler and optimiser work very well to ensure that dead or inefficient
code is chopped out or optimised.

Obviously you do test your changes before sending your changed units to your
customers though, dont you ?

What law is being passed in Brazil ? and why will it force you to send your
application to your users via modem ?

Let me explain a few things about the Delphi terms you are using:
A DCU is a compiled source code unit, and probably is of no use to your
users. DCU's are used by the compiler so that each unit does not have to be
recompiled each time, even if it hasnt changed. Also DCU's can be used for
component authors to distribute thier components, for other developers to
use in their applications, without having to distribute the source code. The
same pretty much applies to a DPK, a Delphi package, but the package was
designed to help authors organise large libraries of components easily.

In Progress, you can just send your customers the compiled Progress units
(this is not the same as source BTW).
The way to allow Delphi applications to be modified without giving the whole
application to your users again, is to either generate a patch for the
application, but I suspect this would still result in your users requiring a
large download.
Your other option, and most viable, is to generate the most volatile
sections of your application in DLL's, which can be then downloaded
seperately by your users. This can be time-consuming, so be careful how you
design your DLL's. There is no point choosing this option if your clients
end up having to download all the DLL's anyway.

If I am not mistaken, PROGRESS allows you to update a single compiled source
unit, with the changes taking effect the next time the unit is used. delphi
will not allow this, and every time your users download a new DLL, they will
have to shut down the application, and probably restart windows for the
changes to take effect.

Paul Chapman.

    Marcelo Muzilli wrote in message <3646E0A3.1B857...@usa.net>...
[...]

Other Threads