Using BC5.5 with Embedded Applications

Hi,

I just downloaded BC 5.5 and plan to use it for embedded software
development. I noticed that BC 5.5 is for Win32 only. I am trying to figure
out what does that mean exactly.

Does this mean that I can only produce code for Win32 applications only ? or

Does this mean that I can only run the compiler on Win32 system but can
produce non Win32 code also?

Where can I find documentation that discusses more about this ?

My best guess is that I should be able to produce non Win32 code with BC5.5
as the compiler only translates the code that it gets in form the libraries
or source code. Now if I include Win32 libraries in the compilation it would
be a Win32 code and if I include my own libraries I would be able to use it
for embedded software development -- right ?.

So now the question is that how tightly BC5.5 is integrated with Win32
libraries ? Where can I find documentation that discusses more about this ?

I would really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks

Shabbir

Re:Using BC5.5 with Embedded Applications

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 06:05:59 +0100, Shabbir Suterwala wrote:
> I just downloaded BC 5.5

Good idea, but wrong newsgroup :-)

This newsgroup is about Borland C++, not C++ Builder. Please direct your
browser at http://www.borland.com/newsgroups and read the newsgroup
descriptions and guidelines.

Shabbir Suterwala wrote:

> Hi,

> I just downloaded BC 5.5 and plan to use it for embedded software
> development. I noticed that BC 5.5 is for Win32 only. I am trying to figure
> out what does that mean exactly.

> Does this mean that I can only produce code for Win32 applications only ? or

I'm answering this question here, even though the question is about
Builder, because I think it can emcompass more than the Builder product.

From my understanding, your two main concerns when choosing development
tools for embedded software will be your processor and your operating
system.  If BC 5.5 is for Win32 only, you'll only be able to produce
programs that will run on a system that uses a 32-bit Windows OS.  So if
your target system uses an embedded OS like VxWorks or PalmOS, or even
if it uses Windows 3.1 (a Win16 OS), you're out of luck.

In addition, if the compiler doesn't support the processor on your
target system, you're also out of luck.  I don't have BC 5.5 so I don't
know for sure, but chances are it only supports the x86 processor family
and maybe the PowerPC processor family.  If you're using an embedded
processor, such as a Dragonball or a StrongARM, you'll most likely have
to get a custom complier that is exorbitantly more expensive than a
standard Windows complier.  If you have some more specific questions on
this topic, e-mail me directly and I might be able to help.

-Bryan

Re:Using BC5.5 with Embedded Applications

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:05:59 -0800, "Shabbir Suterwala"

<ssuterw...@cardiovention.com> wrote:
>I noticed that BC 5.5 is for Win32 only.
>Does this mean that I can only produce code for Win32 applications only ?

Yes.

>Does this mean that I can only run the compiler on Win32 system

Yes.

>but can produce non Win32 code also?

No.

[Followup-To set to borland.public.cppbuilder.commandlinetools]

--
Wayne A. King
(ba...@torfree.net, wayne.k...@ablelink.org,

Re:Using BC5.5 with Embedded Applications

I am sorry, but my query is related strictly to Borland C++. Should i post
it to the C++ Builder's newsgroup now and in future ?
"Thomas Maeder" <mae...@glue.ch> wrote in message news:3c8f0e93$1_1@dnews...
> On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 06:05:59 +0100, Shabbir Suterwala wrote:

> > I just downloaded BC 5.5

> Good idea, but wrong newsgroup :-)

> This newsgroup is about Borland C++, not C++ Builder. Please direct your
> browser at http://www.borland.com/newsgroups and read the newsgroup
> descriptions and guidelines.

Re:Using BC5.5 with Embedded Applications

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:33:43 -0800, "Shabbir Suterwala"

<ssuterw...@cardiovention.com> wrote:
>my query is related strictly to Borland C++.

Your query is about the free command line tools, which are
*from* the Builder 5 package.

>Should i post it to the C++ Builder's newsgroup now and in future ?

Yes. Best bet is borland.public.cppbuilder.commandlinetools

This group, and any other with .cpp. in the name, is about the pre-Builder
C/C++ compilers up to BC++ 5.02.

--
Wayne A. King
(ba...@torfree.net, wayne.k...@ablelink.org,