A Little Confused

I started using Delphi one month ago and just recently have started to use
the database access/controls included with Delphi.  I do have some
questions regarding how you interact with Databases through Delphi.

First off, is the BDE required?  I am using paradox tables and am giving
the absolute path of the tables required by my application.  This allows me
to see table names in my data-aware controls when I link them to a dataset.
 The application I'm developing is going to record the information entered,
and then print only one report containing ALL information, meaning I won't
have the need for a complex interface to the database (I think).

Secondly, if I do require the BDE, or decide to use it, will I have to pay
for each copy of my program I distribute to Borland(Inprise)?  Does anyone
know how much it costs per license?

Lastly, I think this is a really easy fix that I'm probably overlooking a
very easy step and thus the component is not behaving as I expect.  I am
trying to use a combo box for the user to select an eligible Canadian
province. When implemented as below, all I can see at both runtime and
design time is the first and last (respectively...Alberta/Yukon
Territories) element in the field. The TDBLookUpComboBox is linked to a
datasource, and given these properties

TTable
--------------
Name := provlist
DatabaseName := c:\projects\data (location of Paradox tables)
TableName := provinces.db (which exists)

TDatasource
--------------------
dataset := provlist

TDBLookUpComboBox
------------------------------------
DataSource := dsProvinces
DataField := Province

Thanks in advance for your help.
--
<<==-- ChipOne --==>>

Re:A Little Confused

When you want to use Paradox-Tables, you have to install the BDE on every
machine your app should run. There are several Database-System working
without the BDe, just have a look at the DSP i.e.
But, BDE is free, you dont have to pay a fee.

and the now last question:
set the lookup-source and datafield to the table the provinces are stored
in, and let the datasource and datafield empty, then you should get a
Combobox with the provinces.

--
Andreas Klein
Remove XXX from my eMail

ChipOne schrieb in Nachricht <01bd8d9c$a2a85f80$7b2fc8cd@chipone>...

>I started using Delphi one month ago and just recently have started to use
>the database access/controls included with Delphi.  I do have some
>questions regarding how you interact with Databases through Delphi.

>First off, is the BDE required?  I am using paradox tables and am giving
>the absolute path of the tables required by my application.  This allows me
>to see table names in my data-aware controls when I link them to a dataset.
> The application I'm developing is going to record the information entered,
>and then print only one report containing ALL information, meaning I won't
>have the need for a complex interface to the database (I think).

>Secondly, if I do require the BDE, or decide to use it, will I have to pay
>for each copy of my program I distribute to Borland(Inprise)?  Does anyone
>know how much it costs per license?

>Lastly, I think this is a really easy fix that I'm probably overlooking a
>very easy step and thus the component is not behaving as I expect.  I am
>trying to use a combo box for the user to select an eligible Canadian
>province. When implemented as below, all I can see at both runtime and
>design time is the first and last (respectively...Alberta/Yukon
>Territories) element in the field. The TDBLookUpComboBox is linked to a
>datasource, and given these properties

>TTable
>--------------
>Name := provlist
>DatabaseName := c:\projects\data (location of Paradox tables)
>TableName := provinces.db (which exists)

>TDatasource
>--------------------
>dataset := provlist

>TDBLookUpComboBox
>------------------------------------
>DataSource := dsProvinces
>DataField := Province

>Thanks in advance for your help.
>--
><<==-- ChipOne --==>>

Re:A Little Confused

Thanks...but I think we may have different versions, however I did change
the ListSource and and KeyField (Instead of the Lookup-Source and the
DataField) and that worked fine.  Thank you for the tip!

<<==-- ChipOne --==>>

> >I am
> >trying to use a combo box for the user to select an eligible Canadian
> >province. When implemented as below, all I can see at both runtime and
> >design time is the first and last element in the field. The
> >TDBLookUpComboBox is linked to a datasource, and given these properties
> ><<==-- ChipOne --==>>
> set the lookup-source and datafield to the table the provinces are stored
> in, and let the datasource and datafield empty, then you should get a
> Combobox with the provinces.

Other Threads