Please Help - Font of Hint

On Thu, 17 Aug 1995 09:45:08 GMT, wyw...@melbpc.org.au (Wai Wong)
wrote:

>Is there a way to change the font of Hint text? They look too small
>for me.

You can change the class of the hint window.  Your new class can then
set any font or other visual attributes you desire.  See the
documentation for HintWindowClass in the component writers' guide.  It
is probably simplest to derive your class from THintWindow and change
the Create method to set your desired font.
--
Ray Lischner         (li...@tempest-sw.com)
Tempest Software, Corvallis, Oregon, USA

Re:Please Help - Font of Hint

In article <40t7gc$...@wombat.melbpc.org.au> wyw...@melbpc.org.au (Wai Wong) writes:
>From: wyw...@melbpc.org.au (Wai Wong)
>Subject: Please Help - Font of Hint
>Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 09:45:08 GMT
>Is there a way to change the font of Hint text? They look too small
>for me.

Not to my knowledge without changing the VCL; you'd have to study the
FORMS.PAS unit to be sure, and I have not done so.  You can control the color
and the pause-duration but I see nothing documented about the font.

The default size and color that they use is the same as Microsoft's and it's
somewhat of a quasi-standard I suppose...

:-)  Ever tried to do hints in VB?  Love ya, Delphi!  ;-)

/mr/

Re:Please Help - Font of Hint

In article <40t7gc$...@wombat.melbpc.org.au>, wyw...@melbpc.org.au (Wai Wong) says:

>Is there a way to change the font of Hint text? They look too small
>for me.

As far as I can see, you can only change te HintColor and the HintPause
(both properties of Application). Another way to present hints is a help
line in a status bar (use the panel component). You can change the caption
of a panel component when the OnHint event occurs.

The help text of the Hint property tells you exacty how to do this.
A part of the help text follows :

Declaration

property Hint: string;

Description

The Hint property is the text string that can appear when the OnHint event occurs, which happens
when the user moves the mouse pointer over a control or menu item. The code within the OnHint event
handler determines how the string is displayed. A common use of an OnHint event handler is to
display the hint as the caption of a panel component that is being used as a status bar.
You can have a Help Hint, a box containing help text, appear for a control when the user moves the
mouse pointer over the control and pauses momentarily. This is how:

1       Specify a Hint value for each control you want a Help Hint to appear for.
2       Set the ShowHint property of each control to True.
3       At run time, set the value of application's ShowHint property to True.

You can specify a hint to be used for both for a Help Hint box and in an OnHint handler (as the
application's Hint property value) by specifying two values separated by a | character (the "or" or "pipe"
symbol). For example,

Edit1.Hint := 'Name|Enter Name in the edit box';

The 'Name' string appears in the Help Hint box, and the 'Enter full name' string appears as specified in
the OnHint event handler.
If you specify just one value, it can be used both as a Help Hint and as the Hint property of the
application. If the application's ShowHint property is False, the Help Hint won't appear, but the other
hint still will.
If a control has no Hint value specified, but its parent control does, the control uses the Hint value of
the parent control as long as the control's ShowHint property is True.

Peter Boer, iec ProGAMMA

Other Threads