Accessing an existing instance of a Com-Object from WORD-VBA

I have an application written in D5 which has all of its sessiondata in an
Com-Object running locally on the machine.

The idea is to start word from the other application and
have word retreive the information from the comobject.

This means I need to acces the active instance of that object and not create
a new one.

Is it possible to acces an existing instance from word using VBA or can I
somehow pass the object to word when I start Word from my application?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
/Stefan