Cross tab query Component

Does anyone know of a cross tab query component for delphi 3. I know
that the decision support components in the CS edition have cross tab
support, but the CS edition has so many features that would go unused
developing purely desktop database applications.

I talked to Inprise Sales and they said that they can't sell the DS
components separately. So does anyone know of a third party supplier for
a cross tab component.

Thanks in anticipation.

Daniel Work
Land of OZ

Re:Cross tab query Component

On Sun, 07 Jun 1998 14:44:40 +0930, Daniel Work

<djw...@picknowl.com.au> wrote:
>Does anyone know of a cross tab query component for delphi 3. I know
>that the decision support components in the CS edition have cross tab
>support, but the CS edition has so many features that would go unused
>developing purely desktop database applications.

>I talked to Inprise Sales and they said that they can't sell the DS
>components separately. So does anyone know of a third party supplier for
>a cross tab component.

>Thanks in anticipation.

>Daniel Work
>Land of OZ

There are a number of third party ones, though I can't recommend any
from personal experience. A good place to look for third party
components (usually shareware) is the Delphi Super Page
(sunsite.icm.edu.pl/delphi). Another is Torry's Delphi Page
(www.torry.ru). You should be able to find something there.

Steve F (Team B)

Re:Cross tab query Component

The Decision Cube components that come with the C/S version are very
powerful.

--
Bill

Re:Cross tab query Component

I know that "Decision Cube components that come with the C/S version are
very powerful." But I can't justify the purchase of the C/S edition just
to get them!

Which brings me back to part of my orginal question as to why Inprise
can't sell them as an add-on for users of the developer version.

Daniel Work <djw...@picknowl.com.au> wrote in article
<357B64F8.AA94A...@picknowl.com.au>...

> I know that "Decision Cube components that come with the C/S version are
> very powerful." But I can't justify the purchase of the C/S edition just
> to get them!

> Which brings me back to part of my orginal question as to why Inprise
> can't sell them as an add-on for users of the developer version.

Because they want to entice you into buying the C/S edition, and help make
people that do pay for the C/S edition feel like they got something extra.

Re:Cross tab query Component

I have no knowledge of why Inprise does not sell the Decision cube
components separately.  However, if I owned Inprise I know the two things
that would stop me, or at least make me look very closely at the decision.

1) It is very costly to create another SKU (product) with separte packaging
etc.

2) It reduces the difference between the C/S version and the Developer
version.  I would be very worried that I would not sell enough Decision
Cubes to make up for the loss in C/S revenue.

As I said, those are the items that would worry me if it was my decision.

--
Bill

Re:Cross tab query Component

Those are both valid reasons, but I still think it's a waste to spend all those
R&D dollars on developing an EXCELLENT component architecture and then not
exploit all the benefits by providing only three monolithic products.

Of course I relies I may be wrong and the flexibility/complexity may not
justify the extra expense

Bill Todd (TeamB) wrote:
> I have no knowledge of why Inprise does not sell the Decision cube
> components separately.  However, if I owned Inprise I know the two things
> that would stop me, or at least make me look very closely at the decision.

> 1) It is very costly to create another SKU (product) with separte packaging
> etc.

> 2) It reduces the difference between the C/S version and the Developer
> version.  I would be very worried that I would not sell enough Decision
> Cubes to make up for the loss in C/S revenue.

> As I said, those are the items that would worry me if it was my decision.

> --
> Bill

> (TeamB cannot answer questions received via email.)
> (To contact me for any other reason remove nospam from my address)

Other Threads