Anyone done D2->ODBC->Personal Oracle?

I installed Oracle's 32-bit driver, and it works w/ MS Access &
ReportSmith, but not w/ BDE apps.

I installed MS's 32-bit ODBC pack (wx1220.exe), but the Oracle drivers
by Intersolv & Visigenics won't let me add a driver.

Intersolv's driver tells me I don't have enough memory (on a 32M
machine), and Visigenics sez I'm missing required Oracle
client/network files, though it won't say which files are missing.

FYI, I installed EVERY available option via the Pers. Oracle CD
install.

I called Borland ( @ $2/min!), and the guy I talked to said yes, he
had Pers. Oracle on the very machine he was using, and yes, the
Visigenics driver worked fine (for him).

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Re:Anyone done D2->ODBC->Personal Oracle?

David,

> I installed Oracle's 32-bit driver, and it works w/ MS Access &
> ReportSmith, but not w/ BDE apps.

> I installed MS's 32-bit ODBC pack (wx1220.exe), but the Oracle drivers
> by Intersolv & Visigenics won't let me add a driver.

> Intersolv's driver tells me I don't have enough memory (on a 32M
> machine), and Visigenics sez I'm missing required Oracle
> client/network files, though it won't say which files are missing.

> FYI, I installed EVERY available option via the Pers. Oracle CD
> install.

> I called Borland ( @ $2/min!), and the guy I talked to said yes, he
> had Pers. Oracle on the very machine he was using, and yes, the
> Visigenics driver worked fine (for him).

I've encountered the _exact_ same scenario that you've just described
above with the same results - except that I never called Borland.  What
I learned as far as the Oracle Drivers is that they are not Level 2
compliant and therefore will not work with BDE32.  Never had the time
to try to figure out the rest of the drivers.  I willing to bet that this
person from Borland was running either Delphi C/S (which ships with
SQLLinks) or Delphi Developer with SQLLinks installed.

--
Anthony Maske
ajma...@slip.net

Re:Anyone done D2->ODBC->Personal Oracle?

>I've encountered the _exact_ same scenario that you've just described
>above with the same results - except that I never called Borland.  What
>I learned as far as the Oracle Drivers is that they are not Level 2
>compliant and therefore will not work with BDE32.  Never had the time
>to try to figure out the rest of the drivers.  I willing to bet that this
>person from Borland was running either Delphi C/S (which ships with
>SQLLinks) or Delphi Developer with SQLLinks installed.

        I have 32 bit versions of ORACLE, MICROSOFT, and VISIGENIC talking to Personal
Oracle.

        I have all three installed so that I can simulate any of our users machines, as
many time the problem is driver specific.

_
NOTE: This software is currently in early alpha. If you notice any
problems, or RFC non-compliance, please report it to p...@pbe.com
 \------------------------------------------------------------\
  \           Chad Z. Hower  -  phoe...@pobox.com              \
   \  Phoenix Business Enterprises - p...@pbe.com - www.pbe.com  \
    \     Physically in Church Hill, TN - Logically Not Sure     \
     \------------------------------------------------------------\

>>SQUID - The ultimate 95/NT offline databasing reader

**Special Compile: 3.000A (Alpha)

Re:Anyone done D2->ODBC->Personal Oracle?

Chad,

p...@pbe.com (Phoenix Business Enterprises) wrote:

>    I have 32 bit versions of ORACLE, MICROSOFT, and VISIGENIC talking to Personal
> Oracle.

Since you succeeded in using Oracle's ODBC driver with PO7, could you
give me the exact connect string, server-name etc..? I'm not getting
further than the damned ORA-12154 and although I don't really need it,
having SQL Links, I just want to test it as I might use it for an app.
I'm writing with another tool (Envelop, if that means something to
you) for my (amateur) soccer club.

I downloaded them 3 weeks ago. I suppose it's recent enough?

TIA.

Jasper D. Stil
Londenweg 179
NL - 3137 LW Vlaardingen
Tel: +31 10 4746575 (home)
     +31 79 3448132 (office)
e-mail: dirks...@euronet.nl

Re:Anyone done D2->ODBC->Personal Oracle?

p...@pbe.com (Phoenix Business Enterprises) wrote:

>    I have 32 bit versions of ORACLE, MICROSOFT, and VISIGENIC talking to Personal
>Oracle.
>    I have all three installed so that I can simulate any of our users machines, as
>many time the problem is driver specific.

What's the secret?  Am I merely configuring my BDE ODBC driver and/or
alias incorrectly?

BTW, when I try to attach via, say, Database Explorer, if I give it a
bogus login name/password, it comes back and sez it's wrong, so
SOMETHING's talking to Oracle, but when I use a correct name/password
(e.g., SCOTT/TIGER), it sez "Information type out of range."

I'll pay you $2 per minute.  :)

Re:Anyone done D2->ODBC->Personal Oracle?

When Delphi 2 (or Database Desktop 32) wants to access an Oracle
Database through ODBC, the ODBC driver gives the message
"Information type out of range.". This happens after log in to Oracle.

According to Oracle's tech. support, the problem comes from the
function SQLGetInfo, which doesn't use the correct parameters.

Is there any fix available for this ?

     ____/  __  /  ____/   /   Frederic Aviolat
    /      /   /  /       /    Operations Research
   ____/  ____/   ____/  /     Department of Mathematics
  /      /       /      /      Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
_____/ _/      _/     _____/   MA-Ecublens
                               CH-1015 Lausanne (Switzerland)
E-mail : avio...@dma.epfl.ch
Phone  : +41 (21) 693 25 60 (Central European Time)
Fax    : +41 (21) 693 42 50

Frederic Aviolat  -  ROSE/DMA/EPFL  -  Interne 25 60

Re:Anyone done D2->ODBC->Personal Oracle?

Frederic Aviolat <avio...@dma.epfl.ch> wrote in article
<rcwhgpqmqxf.fsf...@masg21.epfl.ch>...

> When Delphi 2 (or Database Desktop 32) wants to access an Oracle
> Database through ODBC, the ODBC driver gives the message
> "Information type out of range.". This happens after log in to Oracle.

> According to Oracle's tech. support, the problem comes from the
> function SQLGetInfo, which doesn't use the correct parameters.

> Is there any fix available for this ?

I am having this problem as well.

It would be great if we could get this to work.

Steve Cullen
scul...@ix.netcom.com

Re:Anyone done D2->ODBC->Personal Oracle?

Oracle's ODBC Driver (strangely enough) does not support this
function call. The only driver I am aware of that works, and we have
used successfully with Delphi comes from Intersolv.

You can download a free trial version from their web site at:
http://www.intersolv.com/solution/dw_odbc.htm

---
Larry Stein
lst...@xnet.com

sage (scul...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

: Frederic Aviolat <avio...@dma.epfl.ch> wrote in article
: <rcwhgpqmqxf.fsf...@masg21.epfl.ch>...
: > When Delphi 2 (or Database Desktop 32) wants to access an Oracle
: > Database through ODBC, the ODBC driver gives the message
: > "Information type out of range.". This happens after log in to Oracle.
: >

: I am having this problem as well.

: It would be great if we could get this to work.

: Steve Cullen
: scul...@ix.netcom.com

Other Threads