How To Change Location of ISC4.GDB Database ?

As everybody knows, that there is great security hole in interbase system. I
was thinking about other ways to compensate it, and first thing came up in
my mind to change location of ISC4 database to some unknowable hidden
folder, but I don't know whether I can do that too with interbase or not.

actually I am new to interbase and looking at all possible ways to make my
databases secured, and do not want to rely on Operating System for that. so
if u have any idea please suggest me.

Kamlesh

Re:How To Change Location of ISC4.GDB Database ?

[...]

No. ISC4.GDB must be in the IB root directory.

On Sat, 18 May 2002 22:31:56 +0530, "Kamlesh"

--
Bill (TeamB)

Bill Todd wrote:
> No. ISC4.GDB must be in the IB root directory.

So, he could just install IB in the non-standard directory of his
choice?

Regards,
Aage J.

Re:How To Change Location of ISC4.GDB Database ?

In article <3ce7e94c_1@dnews>, Kamlesh says...

> As everybody knows, that there is great security hole in interbase system.

There is not.  Any file/application installed on an unprotected OS has
security issues, not just Interbase.

Re:How To Change Location of ISC4.GDB Database ?

I have not tried that but I know of no reason why it will not work.

On Sun, 19 May 2002 23:34:58 +0200, Aage Johansen

--
Bill (TeamB)

Re:How To Change Location of ISC4.GDB Database ?

> > No. ISC4.GDB must be in the IB root directory.

> So, he could just install IB in the non-standard directory of his
> choice?

It is pointless, because you can find out isc4.gdb location via Services API functions.

--
Ivan
http://www.volny.cz/iprenosil/interbase

Re:How To Change Location of ISC4.GDB Database ?

Thank You All

Regards
Kamlesh

"Ivan Prenosil" <preno...@ms.anet.cz> wrote in message

> > > No. ISC4.GDB must be in the IB root directory.

> > So, he could just install IB in the non-standard directory of his
> > choice?

> It is pointless, because you can find out isc4.gdb location via Services
API functions.

> --
> Ivan
> http://www.volny.cz/iprenosil/interbase

Re:How To Change Location of ISC4.GDB Database ?

What's wrong with installing it as root and not disclosing the password?

"Kamlesh" <kamles...@rediffmail.com> wrote in message

> As everybody knows, that there is great security hole in interbase system.
> was thinking about other ways to compensate it, and first thing came up in
> my mind to change location of ISC4 database to some unknowable hidden
> folder, but I don't know whether I can do that too with interbase or not.

> actually I am new to interbase and looking at all possible ways to make my
> databases secured, and do not want to rely on Operating System for that.
so
> if u have any idea please suggest me.

Other Threads