Embedding gds32.dll

Hello,

Is there any way to embed gds32.dll into my delphi application, so
client-installation of IB is not needed???
Or can I put gds32.dll in the same folder as my application (and not in
windows\system) . This folder is shared on the server and can be reached by
all client-pc's

Regards,

Ren

Re:Embedding gds32.dll

"R.M. de Boer" wrote:
> Is there any way to embed gds32.dll into my delphi application, so
> client-installation of IB is not needed???

> Or can I put gds32.dll in the same folder as my application (and not in
> windows\system) .

Maybe yes, but the having the gds32.dll is not everything a client needs. Read
the Embedded installation guide:
ftp://ftpc.inprise.com/pub/interbase/techpubs/embedded_installation_g...

hth
Karsten

Re:Embedding gds32.dll

"Karsten Strobel" <stro...@ait-augsburg.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "R.M. de Boer" wrote:
> > Is there any way to embed gds32.dll into my delphi application, so
> > client-installation of IB is not needed???
No.
> > Or can I put gds32.dll in the same folder as my application (and not in
> > windows\system) .

Yes, but if there is a gfs32.dll in the system folder that has a different
version, you might run into trouble.
> Maybe yes, but the having the gds32.dll is not everything a client needs.
Read
> the Embedded installation guide:

ftp://ftpc.inprise.com/pub/interbase/techpubs/embedded_installation_g...
Actually, you need:
-gds32.dll (%systemroot%\system or %systemroot%\system32)
-entry in services (%systemroot%\services or
%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\services)
[-messages file (interbase root, I think)]

gds32.dll can be in the application folder (see note above).
The services-entry is required for TPC / IP connections, AFAIK not for local
ones.
The messages file is not really needed. I think you get "Cannot find message
file" instead of the appropriate error message.

I try to copy gds32.dll into the system folder via WinAPI install functions
(from current directory). If it fails, the program should run anyhow. And
since my customers probably don't care about the error messages (they don't
know SQL), I don't care about the message file, either. My documentation
tells them about the services entry, my program tries to set (if it's not
there), and that it needs admin privileges at NT / 2000 / XP systems to do
so.

I think this is the simples install that will work at most systems... if
anyone has a better way, please, tell me! :-)

Jan Henrik Sylvester <m...@janh.de>

Other Threads