Need to find a good database system with D 4.0

Hi,

I made an app with Delphi 4.0 and MSAccess, I've got some problem ...
I decide to move my Access database to an other DataBase system.
I think about Oracle, Interbase or MSSql. I'd like to transfer my MsAccess
database and i don't want to modify a lot of things.
My App doesn't really need to work with so big system cause less than 5 PC
will be connected at the same time, but i think that a lot of problem will
go away.

Thanks for your help

Fred B        FRANCE

Re:Need to find a good database system with D 4.0

Frederic.BARO...@wanadoo.fr wrote:

> Hi,

> I made an app with Delphi 4.0 and MSAccess, I've got some problem ...
> I decide to move my Access database to an other DataBase system.
> I think about Oracle, Interbase or MSSql. I'd like to transfer my MsAccess
> database and i don't want to modify a lot of things.
> My App doesn't really need to work with so big system cause less than 5 PC
> will be connected at the same time, but i think that a lot of problem will
> go away.

> Thanks for your help

> Fred B        FRANCE

Have you tried the #2 patch for D4 yet?

The #2 patch may make your problems go away.  If not, can you elaborate
on your problems?  They might be easier to solve than a transition
to another DB system.

Once last question, why did you choose Access?  If you use Paradox
and set it up right (not too hard), it supports more users and
is extremely underrated.

Best Regards,
Graham Wood,
GDW FLEETWARE.

Re:Need to find a good database system with D 4.0

Even though I agree that Paradox is easier to work with, interactively
in the Database Desktop, I found that moving my app from Paradox to
Access cleared up my problems. I have been reading these newsgroups
for quite some time and IMHO it has been more programmer error than
BDE error in most cases. This is not to say that the BDE doesn't have
some problems, but by and large, most seem to be a problem in
UNDERSTANDING true database concepts. A big gripe of mine for a long
time has been that too many people are getting into programming
without having any training or background. Though it isn't an absolute
necessity to have these, very few people can learn the complexities on
their own without some type of formal training.

Sorry, just had to let off some steam...........<g>
Woody

Graham Wood wrote in message <363708FA.3...@a1.com.au>...
>Frederic.BARO...@wanadoo.fr wrote:

>> Hi,

>> I made an app with Delphi 4.0 and MSAccess, I've got some problem
>> I decide to move my Access database to an other DataBase system.
>> I think about Oracle, Interbase or MSSql. I'd like to transfer my
MsAccess
>> database and i don't want to modify a lot of things.
>> My App doesn't really need to work with so big system cause less
than 5 PC
>> will be connected at the same time, but i think that a lot of
problem will
>> go away.

>> Thanks for your help

>> Fred B        FRANCE

>Have you tried the #2 patch for D4 yet?

>The #2 patch may make your problems go away.  If not, can you
elaborate
>on your problems?  They might be easier to solve than a transition
>to another DB system.

>Once last question, why did you choose Access?  If you use Paradox
>and set it up right (not too hard), it supports more users and
>is extremely underrated.

>Best Regards,
>Graham Wood,
>GDW FLEETWARE.