Board index » delphi » We want Delphi for Linux now!!!

We want Delphi for Linux now!!!

We want Delphi for Linux now!!!

Wake Up Borland. We want Delphi for Linux now!!!. Microsoft does not
recognized the effort made by other companies in  promoting their
product.

But why do we have to stay with windows??. One day we will wake up
that all our delphi software will be replaced by Visual Basic. This is
now
happening here in Middle East.

Most of the managers are ignorant of delphi, 'Delphi who cares!!'. They
wanted
Visual Basic..

 

Re:We want Delphi for Linux now!!!


I doubt Inprise will convert it since they're looking to ditch or sell
Delphi/C++Builder in favor of JBuilder (Java/CORBA).  For a mere $90
million dollars you could buy Delphi and convert it yourself!  Check out
this article:

http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?990129.ecinprise2.htm

Quote
grc wrote:
> We want Delphi for Linux now!!!

> Wake Up Borland. We want Delphi for Linux now!!!. Microsoft does not
> recognized the effort made by other companies in  promoting their
> product.

> But why do we have to stay with windows??. One day we will wake up
> that all our delphi software will be replaced by Visual Basic. This is
> now
> happening here in Middle East.

> Most of the managers are ignorant of delphi, 'Delphi who cares!!'. They
> wanted
> Visual Basic..

  estembl1.vcf
< 1K Download

Re:We want Delphi for Linux now!!!


: "Edward J. Stembler" <estem...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

Quote
>I doubt Inprise will convert it since they're looking to ditch or sell
>Delphi/C++Builder in favor of JBuilder (Java/CORBA).  For a mere $90
>million dollars you could buy Delphi and convert it yourself!  Check out
>this article:

>http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?990129.ecinprise2.htm

Yeah, and tomorrow the sky will fall down on us.

This article is a wonderful lie, pure FUD. I cannot believe that
people believe in everything they see in print or even published.

Nevertheless, Inprise probably will NOT publish a Delphi for Linux,
simply because it would not pay off. I am not interested in a
discussion on this.

--
Stefan Hoffmeister    (http://www.econos.de/)
No private email, please, unless expressly invited.

Re:We want Delphi for Linux now!!!


"A company spokesperson refuted the rumored sale. "
If they are interested in selling it, they're don't appear to be doing it
very actively.  Looks to me some pissed of "ex-executive" is mad because of
why he is an "ex"

                        Just a thought

Quote
"Edward J. Stembler" wrote:
> I doubt Inprise will convert it since they're looking to ditch or sell
> Delphi/C++Builder in favor of JBuilder (Java/CORBA).  For a mere $90
> million dollars you could buy Delphi and convert it yourself!  Check out
> this article:

> http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?990129.ecinprise2.htm

> grc wrote:

> > We want Delphi for Linux now!!!

> > Wake Up Borland. We want Delphi for Linux now!!!. Microsoft does not
> > recognized the effort made by other companies in  promoting their
> > product.

> > But why do we have to stay with windows??. One day we will wake up
> > that all our delphi software will be replaced by Visual Basic. This is
> > now
> > happening here in Middle East.

> > Most of the managers are ignorant of delphi, 'Delphi who cares!!'. They
> > wanted
> > Visual Basic..

Re:We want Delphi for Linux now!!!


Quote
grc wrote:

> We want Delphi for Linux now!!!

> Wake Up Borland. We want Delphi for Linux now!!!. Microsoft does not
> recognized the effort made by other companies in  promoting their
> product.

There is also a petition running for that, look in the Delphi
page of the TP-links.
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/2926/tp.html

But I doubt that you will be able to convince Borland to do that.

I heared about another group trying to do that, maybe you can
join them:
http://www.megido.il.eu.org/
found in the "LINUX" chapter of the TP-links.

Franz Glaser

Re:We want Delphi for Linux now!!!


On Sat, 13 Feb 1999 18:40:15 -0800, Kathryn Taylor Jennings

Quote
<ka...@mindless.com> wrote:
>"A company spokesperson refuted the rumored sale. "
>If they are interested in selling it, they're don't appear to be doing it
>very actively.  Looks to me some pissed of "ex-executive" is mad because of
>why he is an "ex"

Nothing in the article says that the "source" is a former Inprise
employee. A later paragraph quotes a former "manager," but the "one
source" of the rumor about selling Delphi could just as easily be the
Microsoft Marketing department.
--
Ray Lischner  (http://www.bardware.com)
co-author (with John Doyle) of Shakespeare for Dummies

Re:We want Delphi for Linux now!!!


For the most part, Delphi is used to create client applications that
runs on client workstations. Linux is mostly used to be a *server*.
Why to develop Delphi for Linux since the end-users tend to keep using
Windows 9x on their desks, even on a network controlled by Linux
servers?

I think that's the main reason why Borland didn't make the effort yet.
Oracle, Informix, Sybase and others, wich produce Servers, are already
on the path.

Clients, however, probably will wait a bit more.

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999 19:49:02 +0300, grc <grc2...@qualitynet.net>
wrote:

Quote
>We want Delphi for Linux now!!!

>Wake Up Borland. We want Delphi for Linux now!!!. Microsoft does not
>recognized the effort made by other companies in  promoting their
>product.

>But why do we have to stay with windows??. One day we will wake up
>that all our delphi software will be replaced by Visual Basic. This is
>now
>happening here in Middle East.

>Most of the managers are ignorant of delphi, 'Delphi who cares!!'. They
>wanted
>Visual Basic..

EBR
** Remove the primes to get the real e-mail

Re:We want Delphi for Linux now!!!


In article <36C5ACFD.8584F...@qualitynet.net>

Quote
grc <grc2...@qualitynet.net> wrote:
> We want Delphi for Linux now!!!

Do we?

Quote
> Wake Up Borland. We want Delphi for Linux now!!!. Microsoft does not
> recognized the effort made by other companies in  promoting their
> product.

Linux already has good Pascal compilers for it, and they are all free.
FreePascal and GNU Pascal come to mind. Perhaps the
Borland/Inprise marketing department know something that "we"
do not know. Prove to them that there is a market and they might
just do want "we" allegedly want.

In any case, this discussion belongs in a ".advocacy" group.

Best regards, The Chief
--------
Dr. A{*word*73}la A. Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)
Email: la...@keele.ac.uk
Homepage: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/African_Chief/
Author of: Chief's Installer Pro v5.00 for Win32
     ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/win95/install/chief500.zip

Re:We want Delphi for Linux now!!!


Quote
EBR wrote:

> For the most part, Delphi is used to create client applications that
> runs on client workstations. Linux is mostly used to be a *server*.

That's not really true.  Unix machines are always capable
of being both a client and a server.

I want Turbo Pascal 6 for Linux.  To hell with Delphi,
I'll settle for good old console apps.  Turbo Vision forever :)

Re:We want Delphi for Linux now!!!


On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:18:25 -0500, Michael Mitchell

Quote
<cold...@jersey.net> wrote:
>EBR wrote:

>> For the most part, Delphi is used to create client applications that
>> runs on client workstations. Linux is mostly used to be a *server*.

>That's not really true.  Unix machines are always capable
>of being both a client and a server.

What I said is simply a fact. I didn't say Linux cannot be a client. I
simply said Linux is not generally used as such. This is very easy to
confirm.

EBR
** Remove the primes to get the real e-mail

Re:We want Delphi for Linux now!!!


Quote
The African Chief wrote:

> > We want Delphi for Linux now!!!

> Do we?

> Linux already has good Pascal compilers for it, and they are all free.
> FreePascal and GNU Pascal come to mind. Perhaps the
> Borland/Inprise marketing department know something that "we"
> do not know. Prove to them that there is a market and they might
> just do want "we" allegedly want.

That's something you can't "prove". How would you have proved 6 years
ago, back in 1993, that there will be HELLUVA business and boom about
internet?

I remember there was some guy, maybe Ted or something, who talked and talked
about "Neural Networks" that will come. He even had some product, Xanadu, or
something. I read those articles and thought that he is some lunatic, there
was no technical reality, no money, no nothing, how that kind of Xanadu type
thing could ever have become anything real.

I was not the only blind, so were Microsoft, IBM and all the others too.

If Borland ever goes to Linux, they will be late if some lower level manager
is able to make credible calculation about it, revenue, profit etc.
Linux market share on desktops may be something like 1% now, and W95 and
NT make the rest of it. Linux share can be 25% in five years, or then it's
only 0.5%.

It's the job for Delbert Yocam, and those other guys who get $7 million
a year, to decide to go or not to go there.

Markku Nevalainen

Re:We want Delphi for Linux now!!!


Quote
EBR <11eeb...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

<36c82787.140...@news.newsguy.com>...

Quote
>For the most part, Delphi is used to create client applications that
>runs on client workstations. Linux is mostly used to be a *server*.

It's true that Linux is mainly server, but that because there aren't enough
client applications to work purely on Linux. To get an exelent RAD tool
(like Delphi) to develope client apps for Linux would make it possiple to
use it also as workstation.

Quote
>Why to develop Delphi for Linux since the end-users tend to keep using
>Windows 9x on their desks, even on a network controlled by Linux
>servers?

Windows will be on my workmachine until I can get  all the basic
applications that I need for Linux (and one of those is Delphi). And for
that we need good tools to create those apps.

Quote
>I think that's the main reason why Borland didn't make the effort yet.
>Oracle, Informix, Sybase and others, wich produce Servers, are already
>on the path.
>Clients, however, probably will wait a bit more.

Why to wait until the server side is complete? It would be wise to start
supporting the client end as soon as possible, so that when servers are
ready so would the clients. More they wait more Pascal (Delphi) coders move
to C/C++ and later stay with those even if Delphi will be published later.

Mikko Isola

Re:We want Delphi for Linux now!!!


I would love to have Delphi for Linux. I was just trying to think
about reasons that lead Inprise to create only Delphi for AS/400 and
Windows platforms.

I hope they hear you.

EBR
** Remove the primes to get the real e-mail

Re:We want Delphi for Linux now!!!


Quote
: 11eeb...@hotmail.com (EBR) wrote:
>I would love to have Delphi for Linux. I was just trying to think
>about reasons that lead Inprise to create only Delphi for AS/400 and
>Windows platforms.

Delphi for AS/400 is *ONLY* Delphi for Win32 with an added AS/400
communication layer - I think TCP/IP. No compiler, no linker, no VCL
changes.

--
Stefan Hoffmeister    (http://www.econos.de/)
No private email, please, unless expressly invited.

Re:We want Delphi for Linux now!!!


Quote
Stefan Hoffmeister wrote in message

<36cd1676.235...@news.rz.uni-passau.de>...

Quote
>: 11eeb...@hotmail.com (EBR) wrote:
>>I would love to have Delphi for Linux. I was just trying to think
>>about reasons that lead Inprise to create only Delphi for AS/400 and
>>Windows platforms.
>Delphi for AS/400 is *ONLY* Delphi for Win32 with an added AS/400
>communication layer - I think TCP/IP. No compiler, no linker, no VCL
>changes.

I was very e{*word*277}d when I heard about Delphi for AS/400, but when checking
out the specs I discovered the same thing that it didn't bring anything new
to Delphi. Things that were added were basic thing that can be handled with
Client  Access API's. If you know more about it could you verify something
to me. When reading the specs I thought that it would be based on Delphi 3
not Delphi 4. Am I right with this?

Mikko Isola

Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads