#0 character in MSAccess Memo fields

Does anyone have noticed the same behaviour as I with MSAccess 97 Memo type
fields. It appears that when you retrieve such a field with
TMemoField.AsString it always has a #0 (not a string '#0') character at the
end. I can trim this extra character but it won't work for a TDBMemo data
aware control. The character is not visible in this control but the when you
cursor in the control at the end it jumps al the way to the beginning of the
text as soon as you type a character from the keyboard. It is not feasible
in my application to trim every occurrence of TMemoFields.

I use XP professional, Delphi7, BDE 5.2.0.2, MSAccess native driver
(IDDA3532.DLL).

I know about all the bad stuff with BDE and MSAccess, but I thought it was
much improved in Delphi6/7. I am considering abandoning BDE completely and
move over to ADO and Jet OLEDB 4.0.

Any suggestions about why I see the strange behaviour would be welcome.

Marc

Re:#0 character in MSAccess Memo fields

> I know about all the bad stuff with BDE and MSAccess, but I thought it was
> much improved in Delphi6/7. I am considering abandoning BDE completely and
> move over to ADO and Jet OLEDB 4.0.

There hasn't been much work done by Borland on the BDE since Delphi 5. They
are advocating moving to non-Borland 3rd party DB layers/tools. I don't
agree because then we get into the "pass the buck" contest we've seen in
these newsgroups "it's the XXX 3rd party library", "no, it's Microsoft's
fault" etc... But there's nothing we can do to influence these decisions.

Olivier

Re:#0 character in MSAccess Memo fields

> There hasn't been much work done by Borland on the BDE since Delphi 5.
They
> are advocating moving to non-Borland 3rd party DB layers/tools. I don't
> agree because then we get into the "pass the buck" contest we've seen in
> these newsgroups "it's the XXX 3rd party library", "no, it's Microsoft's
> fault" etc... But there's nothing we can do to influence these decisions.

I agree about 3rd party libraries. We tested some of the BDE alternatives on
Kyle Corde's website (http://www.kylecordes.com/bag/index.html) but found
them to be either buggy (Delphi7 crash when trying to create persistent
fields, etc.) or so different from the DBE components that they break your
existing code. We simply don't want to go to this kind of effort for desktop
databases (Oracle, SQLServer are an exception because we need the native
access). We should start a new thread if this discussion goes on, since we
are a little bit of topic now.

BTW, any suggestions how to fix or work around the #0 in MSAccess text
fields?

TIA,
Marc

Re:#0 character in MSAccess Memo fields

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 07:01:18 +0100, "Olivier Beltrami"

<obeltr...@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>> I know about all the bad stuff with BDE and MSAccess, but I thought it was
>> much improved in Delphi6/7. I am considering abandoning BDE completely and
>> move over to ADO and Jet OLEDB 4.0.

>There hasn't been much work done by Borland on the BDE since Delphi 5. They
>are advocating moving to non-Borland 3rd party DB layers/tools. I don't

No, they are advocating moving to dbExpress, dbGo (ADO) or InterBase
Express, all of which are supplied by Borland.

--
Bill (TeamB)