Paradox vs Dbase tables

What is the best dbase tables or paradox tables?
Tanks.

Re:Paradox vs Dbase tables

In article <33F4D811.8C421...@europemail.com> Carlos Manuel Pereira <carlos.pere...@europemail.com> writes:

>What is the best dbase tables or paradox tables?
>Tanks.

Umm.. for what purpose?  That's the deciding factor.

dBase tables are universally recognized, except for the fact that everyone
indexes them differently.  But they are wasteful of space because of their
"soft deletes."

Paradox tables are a proprietary format and only one vendor supplies the
official ;-) software that can read it.  However, it happens to be extremely
good software.  Plus the Paradox format includes built-in password security
which is fairly ;-) difficult to break, and which extends down to field-level
protection.  Field-naming conventions are also more flexible.

I happen to prefer the Paradox table format and use it for nearly all
applications.

Re:Paradox vs Dbase tables

Carlos Manuel Pereira <carlos.pere...@europemail.com> wrote:

>What is the best dbase tables or paradox tables?

Paradox has more to offer, like more field types, auto-increment
fields, referential integrity and such niceties.

dBase is very simple, simplistic even, but it's very universal. One
advantage in one of our cases was the fact that it usually only
requires two files, a .DBF data file and a .MDX index file, to exist,
and it can be easily set up on a file server to be in a read-only
directory (as a lookup table).

Paradox tends to create lots of files (one or two per index), and it
will always want to create lock files where the data files reside, so
it's not suitable on a read-only network file server directory.

Marc

[ Marc Scheuner, marc.scheu...@berner.ch  CH-3001 BERNE, Switzerland ]

Re:Paradox vs Dbase tables

In article <33f810e8.11115...@news.bernoise.ch>,

marc.scheu...@NO.SPAM.PLEASE.ch (Marc Scheuner) wrote:
>Paradox tends to create lots of files (one or two per index), and it
>will always want to create lock files where the data files reside, so
>it's not suitable on a read-only network file server directory.

I've seen descriptions (possibly a TI?) on how to put Pdox files on
a CD-ROM, so it is possible... (FWIW)

--
=\
 *=- R.Moberg, CD-Player Pro info @ http://home.sn.no/home/mobergru

Re:Paradox vs Dbase tables

mober...@oslonett.no (Rune Moberg) wrote:
>marc.scheu...@NO.SPAM.PLEASE.ch (Marc Scheuner) wrote:
>>Paradox tends to create lots of files (one or two per index), and it
>>will always want to create lock files where the data files reside, so
>>it's not suitable on a read-only network file server directory.

>I've seen descriptions (possibly a TI?) on how to put Pdox files on
>a CD-ROM, so it is possible... (FWIW)

Yes, I have heard that, too, but the process of getting it done seems
relatively involved, which is why we didn't bother exploring it and
decided to go the easy way and take dBase as table format.

But you're right, it *CAN* be done if really necessary.

Marc

Other Threads