Cannot debug a COM library.

Hi,

We have a big problem with Delphi and COM Libraries.
The Delphi de{*word*81} does not work when trying to debug a COM Object.
And this happens only on some computer (with Visual Studio .NET installed on
it).

Here is our configuration :
1 executable
and about 50 COM Libraries.
For each library we put the main executable in the "Run" parameters and when
the main executable is instancing COM Object from one of our libraries the
de{*word*81} is up and running.
But on some computers it does work at all and when the main executable
creates the COM object, nothing happens in Delphi even if there is a break
point. And the Debug information is in the library...

Could you help me ?
Laurent

Re:Cannot debug a COM library.

"Laurent Devigne" <ldevi...@baan.com> wrote in

> Hi,

> We have a big problem with Delphi and COM Libraries.
> The Delphi de{*word*81} does not work when trying to debug a COM
> Object. And this happens only on some computer (with Visual Studio
> .NET installed on it).

I've found on some systems when debugging as you describe, I have to
press Ctrl-Alt-M to open the "Modules" window, and then right click on
the DLL containing my COM object and select "Reload Symbol Table" and
then browse to the DLL.  This seems to make Delphi actually load the
symbol table and things start working.

You can tell if this is working, because when you select at your
module in the list and look at the entry point list on the right, it
will only show a couple of items.  After you load the symbol table,
you'll see loads of entries in there.

You have to do this every time, after you start the app running.

I've seen this problem mostly on XP machines (and I also need it if I
use "Attach To Process" to connect to VB6 running an app which is
using my COM object).  It may be to do with .NET - who knows?

Perhaps this will cure your problem.

Re:Cannot debug a COM library.

"Laurent Devigne" <ldevi...@baan.com> wrote in

> We have a big problem with Delphi and COM Libraries.
> The Delphi de{*word*81} does not work when trying to debug a COM
> Object. And this happens only on some computer (with Visual Studio
> .NET installed on it).

I forgot to say, check the obvious first like make sure you only have
one copy of your DLL on the machine, and that the registration info is
correct and to the correct path, etc. etc.

Re:Cannot debug a COM library.

Hi John,

It does not work. I do not have an option "Reload Module" within the Modules
Windows (We are using Delphi 4.0) maybe it is the problem. So I try with
"Load Module" but the de{*word*81} is steel sleeping and I cannot break into my
code.

Laurent

"John Carlyle-Clarke" <john...@nospam.europlacer.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Laurent Devigne" <ldevi...@baan.com> wrote in

> > Hi,

> > We have a big problem with Delphi and COM Libraries.
> > The Delphi de{*word*81} does not work when trying to debug a COM
> > Object. And this happens only on some computer (with Visual Studio
> > .NET installed on it).

> I've found on some systems when debugging as you describe, I have to
> press Ctrl-Alt-M to open the "Modules" window, and then right click on
> the DLL containing my COM object and select "Reload Symbol Table" and
> then browse to the DLL.  This seems to make Delphi actually load the
> symbol table and things start working.

> You can tell if this is working, because when you select at your
> module in the list and look at the entry point list on the right, it
> will only show a couple of items.  After you load the symbol table,
> you'll see loads of entries in there.

> You have to do this every time, after you start the app running.

> I've seen this problem mostly on XP machines (and I also need it if I
> use "Attach To Process" to connect to VB6 running an app which is
> using my COM object).  It may be to do with .NET - who knows?

> Perhaps this will cure your problem.

Re:Cannot debug a COM library.

Thanks a lot for this posting!!
It helped much!

regards
  Mike
"John Carlyle-Clarke" <john...@nospam.europlacer.co.uk> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:Xns9388A4C683179johncceuroplacercouk@192.168.1.69...

"Laurent Devigne" <ldevi...@baan.com> wrote in message <news:3ed37902@newsgroups.borland.com>...
> Hi,

> We have a big problem with Delphi and COM Libraries.
> The Delphi de{*word*81} does not work when trying to debug a COM Object.
> And this happens only on some computer (with Visual Studio .NET installed on
> it).

> Here is our configuration :
> 1 executable
> and about 50 COM Libraries.
> For each library we put the main executable in the "Run" parameters and when
> the main executable is instancing COM Object from one of our libraries the
> de{*word*81} is up and running.
> But on some computers it does work at all and when the main executable
> creates the COM object, nothing happens in Delphi even if there is a break
> point. And the Debug information is in the library...

> Could you help me ?
> Laurent

You can try EurekaLog (www.eurekalog.com).

EurekaLog is an add-in tool that gives to your application (GUI,
Console, ISAPI, CGI, ActiveX, NT-Service, Control-Panel, BPL, DLL,
IntraWeb, etc.) the ability to catch every exception (even those
raised by memory leaks), and generates a detailed log of call stack
(with unit, class, method and line #), showing and sending it back to
you via email.

--
Best regards...

Fabio Dell'Aria.