SHARE.EXE and Win95

In installing Delphi it says that I need to set share settings in my
autoexec.bat as follows "share /F:4096 /L:40".

Unfortunately Win95 tells me that I should not have share.exe running
at all. I will need to access remote tables on a server. Does anyone
know if this will be a problem. And if it is a problem is there a work
around. I have grown a bit attatched to Win95 and I really don't want
to go back to 3.1.

MarkX
Capital.NET
Ma...@Logical.NET                                 MarkX on IRC

Re:SHARE.EXE and Win95

In <DEHrrE....@logical.net>, m...@logical.net (Mark Menard) writes:

>In installing Delphi it says that I need to set share settings in my
>autoexec.bat as follows "share /F:4096 /L:40".

>Unfortunately Win95 tells me that I should not have share.exe running

        I would expect that Windows 95 is like OS/2 in that it provides file
sharing functionality automatically, so SHARE would not be necessary.

Steve

Re:SHARE.EXE and Win95

In article <42kmr6$...@News1.mcs.net>, its...@mcs.com wrote:

>From: its...@mcs.com

>In <DEHrrE....@logical.net>, m...@logical.net (Mark Menard) writes:
>>In installing Delphi it says that I need to set share settings in my
>>autoexec.bat as follows "share /F:4096 /L:40".

>>Unfortunately Win95 tells me that I should not have share.exe running

>    I would expect that Windows 95 is like OS/2 in that it provides file
>sharing functionality automatically, so SHARE would not be necessary.

>Steve

Yes, Win95 does the same thing Windows for WorkGroups did. It
automaticilly loads a device called VShare.386 (in the System.Ini).
It will handle all your sharing needs just fine and not consume
precious low memory to boot.

Andrew Fittro - Computer Consultant - ARK Systems Software
afit...@perpetual.com            http://www.perpetual.com/
"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved"

Re:SHARE.EXE and Win95

In <42kmr6$...@News1.mcs.net> its...@mcs.com writes:
>In <DEHrrE....@logical.net>, m...@logical.net (Mark Menard) writes:
>>In installing Delphi it says that I need to set share settings in my
>>autoexec.bat as follows "share /F:4096 /L:40".

>>Unfortunately Win95 tells me that I should not have share.exe running
>    I would expect that Windows 95 is like OS/2 in that it provides file
>sharing functionality automatically, so SHARE would not be necessary.

I've got this situation with OS/2 which, as you say, provides share.
The question is, some apps (Delphi and Crystal Reports) want to set
some of share's paramaters.  How do we do that, or do we *need* to do
that?

--
Frank Burleigh 812-333-7082 (home); 812-855-9170 (work)
School of Law, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN  47405

Re:SHARE.EXE and Win95

:
: Unfortunately Win95 tells me that I should not have share.exe running
: at all. I will need to access remote tables on a server. Does anyone
: know if this will be a problem. And if it is a problem is there a work
: around. I have grown a bit attatched to Win95 and I really don't want
: to go back to 3.1.
:

A similar question:

Do I need to add "share /F:4096 /L:40" in WFW 3.11?

---
John

Re:SHARE.EXE and Win95

In <burleigh.810425...@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, burle...@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Frank Burleigh) writes:

>I've got this situation with OS/2 which, as you say, provides share.
>The question is, some apps (Delphi and Crystal Reports) want to set
>some of share's paramaters.  How do we do that, or do we *need* to

        You don't need to worry about it at all with OS/2.  The apps probably
always display that message during installation, as I'm not sure there's even
a way to check to see what the SHARE settings are (not that I'm an expert on
it or anything).

Steve

Re:SHARE.EXE and Win95

In <42mo8e$...@harbinger.cc.monash.edu.au>, jo...@bruce.cs.monash.edu.au (John Yu) writes:

>Do I need to add "share /F:4096 /L:40" in WFW 3.11?

        In general?  Only if a DOS app requires SHARE.  Be careful if you're on
a network, though.  VSHARE.386 is OK for WFWG networks, since you have to
be in Windows to have the network functioning, but if you're using a DOS-based
network like LANtastic it can cause major problems when you exit Windows if
your PC is a server.  VSHARE apparently screws up the DOS SHARE's
information, so it's better just to use SHARE.

Steve

Re:SHARE.EXE and Win95

m...@logical.net (Mark Menard) writes:
>In installing Delphi it says that I need to set share settings in my
>autoexec.bat as follows "share /F:4096 /L:40".
>Unfortunately Win95 tells me that I should not have share.exe running
>at all. I will need to access remote tables on a server. Does anyone
>know if this will be a problem. And if it is a problem is there a work
>around. I have grown a bit attatched to Win95 and I really don't want
>to go back to 3.1.

No, you don't need share.exe on either Win95 or WGWF3.11. The vshare.386
driver handles locking for you.

Luke
--
Luke Webber

* Note: The opinions expressed by Luke Webber are in no way supported *
*       by his employers, Luke Webber Consulting Services             *

Re:SHARE.EXE and Win95

its...@mcs.com schrieb am 06.09.95 um 17:47 zum
Thema Re: SHARE.EXE and Win95 folgendes:

> >Unfortunately Win95 tells me that I should not have share.exe running

> I would expect that Windows 95 is like OS/2 in that it provides file
> sharing functionality automatically, so SHARE would not be necessary.

!??!?!? You can lock records und files with share under DOS. This can't
be done automatically. When i will only LOCK a record (not read, not write)
i MUST use the share.exe features.

Under Win3.1 anyone uses the old DOS-interrupts. And i hope Delphi32 has
build-in fuctions for file-sharing......

H.C.

-- Ablenkung durch profane Themen verhindert die Mystifikation unvollst?ndiger
   Tatbest?nde ( Guy Nelson / H. G. Ewers )

Re:SHARE.EXE and Win95

In <5tTtqzA_...@ncbmail-developement-labs.laguna.han.de>, h.fri...@laguna.han.de (Hans-Christian Fricke) writes:

>its...@mcs.com schrieb am 06.09.95 um 17:47 zum
>Thema Re: SHARE.EXE and Win95 folgendes:

>> I would expect that Windows 95 is like OS/2 in that it provides file
>> sharing functionality automatically, so SHARE would not be necessary.

>!??!?!? You can lock records und files with share under DOS. This can't
>be done automatically. When i will only LOCK a record (not read, not write)
>i MUST use the share.exe features.

        I'm confused about your answer.  Basically anything you do with SHARE
under DOS you should be able to do under OS/2 and, apparently, Windows 95.

Steve

Re:SHARE.EXE and Win95

>Yes, Win95 does the same thing Windows for WorkGroups did. It
>automaticilly loads a device called VShare.386 (in the System.Ini).
>It will handle all your sharing needs just fine and not consume
>precious low memory to boot.

In addition to not loading low, vshare.386 (or whatever it's called
in Win95 - I haven't checked) causes fewer compatibility problems than
share.exe.  I can think of three different programs which do not get
along with share.exe, but none of them has a problem with vshare.386
(even DOS programs running under Windows).

Eric

Re:SHARE.EXE and Win95

I have found that under Win 95 my aliases on the file server is
locked when someone is connected to it and thus a second person
cannot access the same database. Is this caused by share.

--
Marinus Willemstijn
Voice : +27 12 3256503

Re:SHARE.EXE and Win95

m...@logical.net (Mark Menard) wrote:

> In installing Delphi it says that I need to set share settings in my
> autoexec.bat as follows "share /F:4096 /L:40".

> Unfortunately Win95 tells me that I should not have share.exe running
> at all. I will need to access remote tables on a server. Does anyone
> know if this will be a problem. And if it is a problem is there a work
> around. I have grown a bit attatched to Win95 and I really don't want
> to go back to 3.1.

> MarkX
> Capital.NET
> Ma...@Logical.NET                                 MarkX on IRC

Believe it or not, I have not installed share on 4 of 5 servers and 1
of 2 workstations and all my Delphi Apps run fine. Go figure......

This network, by the way, is a Novell Personal Network v 1.0!

Re:SHARE.EXE and Win95

m...@logical.net (Mark Menard) wrote:

> In installing Delphi it says that I need to set share settings in my
> autoexec.bat as follows "share /F:4096 /L:40".

> Unfortunately Win95 tells me that I should not have share.exe running
> at all. I will need to access remote tables on a server. Does anyone
> know if this will be a problem. And if it is a problem is there a work
> around. I have grown a bit attatched to Win95 and I really don't want
> to go back to 3.1.

Since Windows 3.11 loading Share.exe in Dos was a waste of time as the
Vshare.exe program intercepted all the lock requests at Windows level and
never passed them on to the Dos Share.exe.

Vshare does not require the parameters above as it dymanically allocates
as required.

Win95 appears to contain the same code as Vshare under 3.11 hence you can
ignore the Delphi docs and locking will still work as expected (AFAIK).

--
 Richard Linsley Hood | Poole, Dorset UK | email: richar...@dakal.demon.co.uk
 "Programming is mirroring the world, inside a computer"   Larry O'Brien 1991

Other Threads