License forbids rebuilding the Borland libraries?

I just noticed in b.p.d.v.c.writing a thread where Jeff Overcash
replied with:

>The license forbids you from rebuilding the Borland supplied libraries.

This made me think of the following possible problem:

Say I find a bug in the VCL can I fix  and use my fix in a production
environment or must I wait for a Borland supplied fix?

Or

Is the license just preventing you from redistributing a borland
supplied bpl that you have modified?

Can this part of the license be clarified?

--

Robert Love - (rlove at slcdug.org)
Salt Lake City Delphi Users Group - http://www.slcdug.org

Re:License forbids rebuilding the Borland libraries?

Robert Love wrote:

> I just noticed in b.p.d.v.c.writing a thread where Jeff Overcash
> replied with:

> >The license forbids you from rebuilding the Borland supplied libraries.

> This made me think of the following possible problem:

> Say I find a bug in the VCL can I fix  and use my fix in a production
> environment or must I wait for a Borland supplied fix?

Only if you are statically linking it in or build your own custom package if
that is even possible (in many cases it won't be)

> Or

> Is the license just preventing you from redistributing a borland
> supplied bpl that you have modified?

> Can this part of the license be clarified?

You can not deploy any rebuilt package with a Borland package name.  In most
cases the VCL isn't fully included to even allow the rebuilding of all the
packages needed to install your replacement VCL into the IDE.  You can only
change the pas file and statically link in the changed code but you normally can
not build new packages and install them in the IDE and in no case can you deploy
your own vcl60.bpl or other package with the name that Borland uses.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)   On waves of silver I dreamed of gold
(Please do not email    'Till I lost the peace that dreaming gives

Re:License forbids rebuilding the Borland libraries?

Thank you for your time and clarification.

That was always my understanding, but I wanted to make sure nothing
had changed.

--

Robert Love - (rlove at slcdug.org)
Salt Lake City Delphi Users Group - http://www.slcdug.org
Delphi JEDI - http://www.delphi-jedi.org
Turbopower TPX Member - http://www.turbopower.com

Re:License forbids rebuilding the Borland libraries?

When ADO support came out in Delphi 5 and Borland was lazy about getting an
official fix out to the myriad of errors it contained we were forced to
"break" the lisense agreement. Well, actually with the way Jeff stated it
maybe we didn't because we renamed the ADO bpl and installed the components
from our renamed bpl and the distribution went out with the renamed version.

"Robert Love" <rlov...@spamslcdug.org> wrote in message

> Thank you for your time and clarification.

> That was always my understanding, but I wanted to make sure nothing
> had changed.

> --

> Robert Love - (rlove at slcdug.org)
> Salt Lake City Delphi Users Group - http://www.slcdug.org