Paradox tables on peer to peer network

Hi there,
I am trying to set up a database application using paradox tables on a peer
to peer network without much luck. I can read the data files from both
computers but when records are edited it doesn't show up on the other
computer.
Does any one have any suggestions?

Thanks for you help

Mark Gibson

Re:Paradox tables on peer to peer network

In article <947765976.897...@loony.mania.com.au>, "Mark Gibson"

<mgib...@mania.com.au> writes:
>Hi there,
>I am trying to set up a database application using paradox tables on a peer
>to peer network without much luck. I can read the data files from both
>computers but when records are edited it doesn't show up on the other
>computer.
>Does any one have any suggestions?

>Thanks for you help

>Mark Gibson

Depends on several things.  Using dbiSaveChanges after posting is supposed to
write data out to the disk rather than just to the buffer.  Making sure
LocalShare is turned on in the BDE, and others. There are a variety of posts
regarding this in the archives - look at Borland's site for TIs on the issue,
FAQs, and DejaNews.
/js

Re:Paradox tables on peer to peer network

Hi,
    I've got the same problem, I added FlushBuffers  in the AfterPost event
and it didn't work. Then I added a refresh after every post, and didn't
work.
    I'm looking for a solution, I find this problem very , very important.

Mark Gibson escribi en mensaje <947765976.897...@loony.mania.com.au>...

In article <85kvfd$sr...@diana.bcn.ttd.net>, "Carmen Marrero" (cmarr...@readysoft.es) writes:
>Hi,
>    I've got the same problem, I added FlushBuffers  in the AfterPost event
>and it didn't work. Then I added a refresh after every post, and didn't
>work.

That's for nothing! :-)))

You must refresh the Database on the Computer you like to see
the new data.
If you new open the datafile it will be automaticly done.
You can refresh it yourself with a timer too.
But remember: If there is a Grid and many users change the data,
you may be surprised what happens. :-))

Adolf

Carmen Marrero wrote:

> Hi,
>     I've got the same problem, I added FlushBuffers  in the AfterPost event
> and it didn't work. Then I added a refresh after every post, and didn't
> work.
>     I'm looking for a solution, I find this problem very , very important.

There are two things to ensure:

 -Turn BDE LocalShare=True on *all* the PCs that are using the database.

 -Check you have your NetFileDir settings, and thus record lockings right.
  Easy way to check this with two computers is trying to edit some record
  simultaneously.
  For instance customer name John Smith, keep it in Edit state on first
  computer, and try editing same John Smith from the second computer. If
  also the second editing succees without an error message, your Net is
  not configured right.

You are not exactly having corruption problem, but here are some useful
BDE/Paradox tips, and an easy utility to check various BDE settings,
http://www.itecuk.com/delmag/Paradox.htm.

And then of course all the Borland BDE tips
http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/ti/

Markku Nevalainen

Re:Paradox tables on peer to peer network

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000 12:45:54 +0200, Markku Nevalainen <m...@iki.fi>
wrote:

>Carmen Marrero wrote:

>> Hi,
>>     I've got the same problem, I added FlushBuffers  in the AfterPost event
>> and it didn't work. Then I added a refresh after every post, and didn't
>> work.
>>     I'm looking for a solution, I find this problem very , very important.

>There are two things to ensure:

> -Turn BDE LocalShare=True on *all* the PCs that are using the database.

> -Check you have your NetFileDir settings, and thus record lockings right.
>  Easy way to check this with two computers is trying to edit some record
>  simultaneously.

A critical aspect here is that the Net Dir be identical on all
computers involved.  I set this as a network drive alias (drive K:),
on all computers involved, which points to the database.  Any computer
not using the same NetDir will not share record locking.
<snip>

Re:Paradox tables on peer to peer network

>A critical aspect here is that the Net Dir be identical on all
>computers involved.  I set this as a network drive alias (drive K:),
>on all computers involved, which points to the database.  Any computer
>not using the same NetDir will not share record locking.

A more certain way to be sure they all point the same is to use \\server\share
format in defining the NetDir, and to set it using software before connecting
any TDatabase components.  The path can be set during installation and stored
in the Registry or in an ini file (I prefer the ini file, as if the program
misbehaves I can just delete the ini file and the program thinks it is being
reinstalled...).

In some situations, it appears that the only way to be absolutely certain that
data is posted is to actually close the TDatabase that the tables are connected
to.  THis is especially true using D1 under Win95, and I have not seen the need
to do that in any other situations.
/js

JefSummers wrote:

> In some situations, it appears that the only way to be absolutely certain that
> data is posted is to actually close the TDatabase that the tables are connected
> to.  THis is especially true using D1 under Win95, and I have not seen the need
> to do that in any other situations.

Well yet, hundreds of D1 apps out there, running on W3.1/W95/W98/NT4.0/Win2000
platforms, both in single and network use.

Never, no need to extra closing of TDatabase, and also no corruption problems,
ever (better knock on wood now).

Markku Nevalainen

In article <3886C2A7.3...@iki.fi>, Markku Nevalainen <m...@iki.fi> writes:
>Well yet, hundreds of D1 apps out there, running on
>W3.1/W95/W98/NT4.0/Win2000
>platforms, both in single and network use.

>Never, no need to extra closing of TDatabase, and also no corruption
>problems,
>ever (better knock on wood now).

OK, agree that the other things should certainly be tried first.  Yet, in one
application on an old 486 box communicating across a network with a 486 laptop
with a parallel port net adapter, the only way I could get the data to post was
to close the TDatabase.  Tried all of those other things. May be because of the
funny network config, but I offer this as a last ditch, one last thing to try,
to those who have already done everything else and are desparate.  In this
case, it was critical as it was an email part of the application that was not
posting.  I also have a client who absolutely swears a Delphi application works
only on Pentiums - not AMD chips or old 486's. Swears the setup is the same
everywhere else.  I'm not sure I buy it, but odd things happen in networks...
/js

Re:Paradox tables on peer to peer network

Another thing to try under D1 is create an Application.OnIdle event handler and in
it call dbiUseIdleTime such as:

procedure OnIdle(don't remember parameters if any);
begin
   dbiUseIdleTime;
end;

MainForm.Create;
begin
  Application.OnIdle := OnIdle;
end;

This worked pretty well for me.

JefSummers wrote:
> In article <3886C2A7.3...@iki.fi>, Markku Nevalainen <m...@iki.fi> writes:

> >Well yet, hundreds of D1 apps out there, running on
> >W3.1/W95/W98/NT4.0/Win2000
> >platforms, both in single and network use.

> >Never, no need to extra closing of TDatabase, and also no corruption
> >problems,
> >ever (better knock on wood now).

> OK, agree that the other things should certainly be tried first.  Yet, in one
> application on an old 486 box communicating across a network with a 486 laptop
> with a parallel port net adapter, the only way I could get the data to post was
> to close the TDatabase.  Tried all of those other things. May be because of the
> funny network config, but I offer this as a last ditch, one last thing to try,
> to those who have already done everything else and are desparate.  In this
> case, it was critical as it was an email part of the application that was not
> posting.  I also have a client who absolutely swears a Delphi application works
> only on Pentiums - not AMD chips or old 486's. Swears the setup is the same
> everywhere else.  I'm not sure I buy it, but odd things happen in networks...
> /js

Other Threads