Fast Report VS Report Builder

I'm planing to move from QR to somewhere else.

Which one is better Fast Reports or Report Builder.
Ease to use, support, powerful, compiled, etc.

Re:Fast Report VS Report Builder

FastReports is the one for me

pro
excellent price
great support
great flexibility
backward compatability
small foot print
enduser design
d2 to d5
cb1 to 5
con
helpfiles could be better but if you pay attention to the demos it does'nt
take long to understand.
Gord Knight
G. K. Consulting
gord.kni...@sympatico.ca
--

"Juan Jose Ochoa" <jjoc...@thermaxcdt.com> wrote in message

> I'm planing to move from QR to somewhere else.

> Which one is better Fast Reports or Report Builder.
> Ease to use, support, powerful, compiled, etc.

Re:Fast Report VS Report Builder

Is it compatible with free-reports? (What's difference?)
Gord Knight <gord.kni...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> FastReports is the one for me

> pro
> excellent price
> great support
> great flexibility
> backward compatability
> small foot print
> enduser design
> d2 to d5
> cb1 to 5
> con
> helpfiles could be better but if you pay attention to the demos it does'nt
> take long to understand.
> Gord Knight
> G. K. Consulting
> gord.kni...@sympatico.ca
> --

> "Juan Jose Ochoa" <jjoc...@thermaxcdt.com> wrote in message
> > I'm planing to move from QR to somewhere else.

> > Which one is better Fast Reports or Report Builder.
> > Ease to use, support, powerful, compiled, etc.

Re:Fast Report VS Report Builder

Can it be used in a DLL.?

> FastReports is the one for me

> pro
> excellent price
> great support
> great flexibility
> backward compatability
> small foot print
> enduser design
> d2 to d5
> cb1 to 5
> con
> helpfiles could be better but if you pay attention to the demos it does'nt
> take long to understand.
> Gord Knight
> G. K. Consulting
> gord.kni...@sympatico.ca
> --

> "Juan Jose Ochoa" <jjoc...@thermaxcdt.com> wrote in message
> > I'm planing to move from QR to somewhere else.

> > Which one is better Fast Reports or Report Builder.
> > Ease to use, support, powerful, compiled, etc.

Re:Fast Report VS Report Builder

If you are evaluating reporting tools for Delphi, you owe it to yourself
to evaluate ReportBuilder. We have a trial version available from our
website at www.digital-metaphors.com which is fully functional and
offers extensive demos.
I believe that you will find the quality, simplicity and power of
ReportBuilder to be unmatched by any other reporting solution available.
But you don't have to take my word for it, the Delphi community has
already spoken on this subject:

ReportBuilder was voted Best Reporting Tool and Product of the Year in
the 1999 and 2000 Delphi Informant Readers Choice awards.

Our feature list is unmatched not just in scope, but also in depth of
implementation.
Take RAP for example; RAP is our run-time Object Pascal
development environment. Several reporting tools offer scripting
features, but RAP allows you to code Delphi-style event handlers in
familiar Object Pascal in an environment that is outside of Delphi.
This allows you to store your report's event handler code within your
report rather than within your compiled executable. RAP is highly
scalable, allowing you to tailor your end user environment to your
end users' abilities. RAP can be extended using our pass-through
function and RAP RTTI architectures. These are features that must
exist in a development environment or else it's nothing but a
scripting tool.
Another example is DADE. DADE is our data access development
environment. This is not just a place to create Delphi TDataSets
at runtime (what do your end users know of TQuery?), rather, this
environment is a full-featured SQL building workspace which offers
two different query tools and a plug-in architecture to allow you
to create your own. It offers previews, visual linking of datasets,
and powerful, interactive tools for defining data access. As with
all facets of ReportBuilder, you can simplify matters for your
end users by creating custom dataview templates - predefined data
access solutions that your end users can use when creating their
own reports.

ReportBuilder's feature set is far too extensive to list here,
so I suggest you visit our website and see the feature list there.
One thing to remember as you evaluate reporting tools, it's not just
the feature list that matters, but also how those features are
implemented.

Our website: www.digital-metaphors.com.
For more information, contact i...@digital-metaphors.com.

Good luck!

--
Robert Leahey
Digital Metaphors Corporation

Please do not send messages directly to me unless I have requested it.
Please send requests for technical support to supp...@digital-metaphors.com.

Re:Fast Report VS Report Builder

Yes.  I'm actually using it as MTS COM object so that I can create PDF
(extra available option) reports for our Web applications.

ZibNimer <zibni...@e{*word*277}.com> wrote in message

> Can it be used in a DLL.?

> "Gord Knight" <gord.kni...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > FastReports is the one for me

> > pro
> > excellent price
> > great support
> > great flexibility
> > backward compatability
> > small foot print
> > enduser design
> > d2 to d5
> > cb1 to 5
> > con
> > helpfiles could be better but if you pay attention to the demos it
does'nt
> > take long to understand.
> > Gord Knight
> > G. K. Consulting
> > gord.kni...@sympatico.ca
> > --

> > "Juan Jose Ochoa" <jjoc...@thermaxcdt.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm planing to move from QR to somewhere else.

> > > Which one is better Fast Reports or Report Builder.
> > > Ease to use, support, powerful, compiled, etc.

Re:Fast Report VS Report Builder

Thanks Mark.  This sounds very cool, but I do not understand how!!! Where
did you know all that?.
What resources did you read?

"Mark Newmister" <mnewmis...@rig.com> wrote in message

> Yes.  I'm actually using it as MTS COM object so that I can create PDF
> (extra available option) reports for our Web applications.

> ZibNimer <zibni...@e{*word*277}.com> wrote in message
> > Can it be used in a DLL.?

> > "Gord Knight" <gord.kni...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > > FastReports is the one for me

> > > pro
> > > excellent price
> > > great support
> > > great flexibility
> > > backward compatability
> > > small foot print
> > > enduser design
> > > d2 to d5
> > > cb1 to 5
> > > con
> > > helpfiles could be better but if you pay attention to the demos it
> does'nt
> > > take long to understand.
> > > Gord Knight
> > > G. K. Consulting
> > > gord.kni...@sympatico.ca
> > > --

> > > "Juan Jose Ochoa" <jjoc...@thermaxcdt.com> wrote in message

Re:Fast Report VS Report Builder

Free report is a freware version of Fastreport ver2.21 with adaptions by
others.
gord

--

> Is it compatible with free-reports? (What's difference?)
> Gord Knight <gord.kni...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > FastReports is the one for me

> > pro
> > excellent price
> > great support
> > great flexibility
> > backward compatability
> > small foot print
> > enduser design
> > d2 to d5
> > cb1 to 5
> > con
> > helpfiles could be better but if you pay attention to the demos it
does'nt
> > take long to understand.
> > Gord Knight
> > G. K. Consulting
> > gord.kni...@sympatico.ca
> > --

> > "Juan Jose Ochoa" <jjoc...@thermaxcdt.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm planing to move from QR to somewhere else.

> > > Which one is better Fast Reports or Report Builder.
> > > Ease to use, support, powerful, compiled, etc.

Re:Fast Report VS Report Builder

Using the File | New, select the ActiveX tab.  Select the "ActiveXLibrary".
This will open a new ActiveX project.  Now go back and select "COM Object"
from the ActiveX tab.  This will add a COM object interface/template
(separate unit) to the project and will also create a corresponding .TLB
file.  You can then use the Type Library Explorer to add methods and
properties to your COM object(s).

I placed all of my report components on a regular separate form (invisible).
Then from one of my COM methods I just dynamically create this form at
runtime and manipulate the report components thereafter.

Using Microsoft's MTS Explorer (from WinNT option pack), create a new
"package".  Just drag your compiled .DLL into the "Components" section of
this new package.

--Mark

> Thanks Mark.  This sounds very cool, but I do not understand how!!! Where
> did you know all that?.
> What resources did you read?

Re:Fast Report VS Report Builder

Do I have to do a separated installation for the reports?
Is it Active X?
Can It be compiled too?

Robert Leahey (Digital Metaphors) <supp...@digital-metaphors.com> wrote in
message news:91oing$b0i4@bornews.inprise.com...

Juan Jose Ochoa wrote:

> Do I have to do a separated installation for the reports?

No.

> Is it Active X?

no.

> Can It be compiled too?

It can be compiled directly into your app.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)   | Talk about failure
(Please do not email    | To fall is not to fail

Re:Fast Report VS Report Builder

> Do I have to do a separated installation for the reports?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you asking if your reports can be
distributed separately from your reporting applications? Certainly. Can they
also be built right into your applications? Yes. It is your choice.

> Is it Active X?

While we have not yet created an Active X version of the product, we know
that several of our customers have created various Active X ReportBuilder
solutions for their less fortunate non-Delphi using peers. ;-)

> Can It be compiled too?

Yes, ReportBuilder is a set of VCL components.

--
Robert Leahey
Digital Metaphors Corporation
http://www.digital-metaphors.com

Please do not send messages directly to me unless I have requested it.
Please send requests for technical support to supp...@digital-metaphors.com.

Re:Fast Report VS Report Builder

Thank you, I'll give it a shot.

> Using the File | New, select the ActiveX tab.  Select the
"ActiveXLibrary".
> This will open a new ActiveX project.  Now go back and select "COM Object"
> from the ActiveX tab.  This will add a COM object interface/template
> (separate unit) to the project and will also create a corresponding .TLB
> file.  You can then use the Type Library Explorer to add methods and
> properties to your COM object(s).

> I placed all of my report components on a regular separate form
(invisible).
> Then from one of my COM methods I just dynamically create this form at
> runtime and manipulate the report components thereafter.

> Using Microsoft's MTS Explorer (from WinNT option pack), create a new
> "package".  Just drag your compiled .DLL into the "Components" section of
> this new package.

> --Mark

> ZibNimer <zibni...@e{*word*277}.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Mark.  This sounds very cool, but I do not understand how!!!
Where
> > did you know all that?.
> > What resources did you read?

Re:Fast Report VS Report Builder

> I'm planing to move from QR to somewhere else.

It's a good decision!

> Which one is better Fast Reports or Report Builder.
> Ease to use, support, powerful, compiled, etc.

Both Fast Reports and Report Builder are good.
And they have advantages and limitations.

+ FR, for example, has more universal CROSS REPORT.
+ RB has inplaced PASCAL-like language.
+ FR is quick.
+ RB has "interactive" report preview, when you can
  subdetail chosen rows (it's better to see it)
- RB preview is very slow and eats a lot of memory :(
- FR stores forms in files, not in DFM :(
+ You can write self "device" for RB. For examle
  we wrote preview search and fast text printing with
  BOLD, UNDERLINE, ITALIC attr. for the EPSON printer.
+ FR is not expensive at all.
+ RB is very safely.

Any way, any of this report better then QR.
Bye. 3DIMka.

Other Threads