ReportBuilder 3.52 Sub-Reports

1. Is there a practical limit on the number of sub-reports that should
be chained together.

2. If the data for each sub-report where to come from a SQL statement,
if there a convienent point (event) where the SQL for a single TQuery
could be changed for the next sub-report instead of using multiple
TQuery's/TDataSources per report?

Re:ReportBuilder 3.52 Sub-Reports

Scott,

> 1. Is there a practical limit on the number of sub-reports that should
> be chained together.

There are so many different ways to model reports and the underlying
data etc. Overall the performance of sub-reports is quite excellent, but
of course there is always a little more overhead required for each one.
I've heard of customers building reports with 30 sub-reports, so who
knows?

> 2. If the data for each sub-report where to come from a SQL statement,
> if there a convienent point (event) where the SQL for a single TQuery
> could be changed for the next sub-report instead of using multiple
> TQuery's/TDataSources per report?

Sorry, but you canot share the DataPipelines, TDataSources, TQueries
etc. between subreports. This will cause access violations because each
report caches information about the data while the report is running.
This greatly enhances performance and lowers overall overhead.

Cheers,

--
Nard Moseley            mailto:n...@digital-metaphors.com
Digital Metaphors       http://www.digital-metaphors.com

Re:ReportBuilder 3.52 Sub-Reports

>> 2. If the data for each sub-report where to come from a SQL statement,
>> if there a convienent point (event) where the SQL for a single TQuery
>> could be changed for the next sub-report instead of using multiple
>> TQuery's/TDataSources per report?

>Sorry, but you canot share the DataPipelines, TDataSources, TQueries
>etc. between subreports. This will cause access violations because each
>report caches information about the data while the report is running.
>This greatly enhances performance and lowers overall overhead.

Hi.

I'd like to be able to learn all these FAQs at once the easy way.  Do
you have a knowedge database or FAQ list somewhere?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim Mack wrote:

> >> 2. If the data for each sub-report where to come from a SQL statement,
> >> if there a convienent point (event) where the SQL for a single TQuery
> >> could be changed for the next sub-report instead of using multiple
> >> TQuery's/TDataSources per report?

> >Sorry, but you canot share the DataPipelines, TDataSources, TQueries
> >etc. between subreports. This will cause access violations because each
> >report caches information about the data while the report is running.
> >This greatly enhances performance and lowers overall overhead.

> Hi.

> I'd like to be able to learn all these FAQs at once the easy way.  Do
> you have a knowedge database or FAQ list somewhere?

> Thanks,
> Jim

We'll be putting together something for the future.

--
Nard Moseley            mailto:n...@digital-metaphors.com
Digital Metaphors       http://www.digital-metaphors.com

Re:ReportBuilder 3.52 Sub-Reports

We could *really* use a newsgroup ala Infopower's newsgroup...
Nard Moseley wrote:

> > >Sorry, but you canot share the DataPipelines, TDataSources, TQueries
> > >etc. between subreports. This will cause access violations because each
> > >report caches information about the data while the report is running.
> > >This greatly enhances performance and lowers overall overhead.

> > Hi.

> > I'd like to be able to learn all these FAQs at once the easy way.  Do
> > you have a knowedge database or FAQ list somewhere?

> > Thanks,
> > Jim

> We'll be putting together something for the future.

> --
> Nard Moseley            mailto:n...@digital-metaphors.com
> Digital Metaphors       http://www.digital-metaphors.com

Re:ReportBuilder 3.52 Sub-Reports

Hear, Hear!!

Lars

Richard Grossman wrote in message <35BFFD3E.9A561...@techIII.com>...
>We could *really* use a newsgroup ala Infopower's newsgroup...

>Nard Moseley wrote:

>> We'll be putting together something for the future.

>> --
>> Nard Moseley            mailto:n...@digital-metaphors.com
>> Digital Metaphors       http://www.digital-metaphors.com

Other Threads