What am I doing wrong?

I created a program in Delphi 1 that uses an SQL object to load a
string grid with some persistent data. I wanted to make a simple demo
that people could check out without having the overhead of the DBE, so
I removed the SQL component, the datasource, etc., and removed the
db-units from the uses clauses. I can;t find any data-related pieces
in the demo code. However, it will not run on non_IDAPI machines -- it
complains about "Unable to initialize DBE" or some such.
I have done a "Build All" and am using no optimization switches.
Does anybody have any idea of what I might be overlooking?

TIA
DK

--She told me Baby when you race today just
take along my love with you
-- Brian Wilson, Don't Worry Baby

Re:What am I doing wrong?

>I created a program in Delphi 1 that uses an SQL object to load a
>string grid with some persistent data. I wanted to make a simple demo
>that people could check out without having the overhead of the DBE, so
>I removed the SQL component, the datasource, etc., and removed the
>db-units from the uses clauses. I can;t find any data-related pieces
>in the demo code. However, it will not run on non_IDAPI machines -- it
>complains about "Unable to initialize DBE" or some such.
>I have done a "Build All" and am using no optimization switches.
>Does anybody have any idea of what I might be overlooking?

You probably still have units referrenced in your "uses" statements that access
the BDE.  Some of these are easy to spot (like db and dbtable) but there may be
others that are not as obvious.  Although it takes a while, the easiest way to
be complete is to comment out the whole statement (both in interface and
implementation).  When the compiler complains, put the needed unit back in.
Good luck!

Re:What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the tip! I left the Mask unit in the uses for the main form
- amongst other things, it provides for db exceptions. Thanks for
saving me hours of rewrites
{*word*106} Kerrigan

In article <69a3c4$s7...@owl.slip.net>, nospamdk...@slip.net writes

>Thanks for the tip! I left the Mask unit in the uses for the main form
>- amongst other things, it provides for db exceptions. Thanks for
>saving me hours of rewrites
>dick Kerrigan

>lancepk...@aol.com (LancePKing) wrote:

>>You probably still have units referrenced in your "uses" statements that access
>>the BDE.  Some of these are easy to spot (like db and dbtable) but there may be
>>others that are not as obvious.  Although it takes a while, the easiest way to
>>be complete is to comment out the whole statement (both in interface and
>>implementation).  When the compiler complains, put the needed unit back in.
>>Good luck!

Actually, that would make a nice feature in Delphi 4 - a compiler hint
that tells you when a used unit is not needed...

--
Jeremy Collins

Re:What am I doing wrong?

  Install the BDE on the target system....

--
Jason Wallace
SL Software

nospamdk...@slip.net wrote in message <697ifj$sn...@owl.slip.net>...
>I created a program in Delphi 1 that uses an SQL object to load a
>string grid with some persistent data. I wanted to make a simple demo
>that people could check out without having the overhead of the DBE, so
>I removed the SQL component, the datasource, etc., and removed the
>db-units from the uses clauses. I can;t find any data-related pieces
>in the demo code. However, it will not run on non_IDAPI machines -- it
>complains about "Unable to initialize DBE" or some such.
>I have done a "Build All" and am using no optimization switches.
>Does anybody have any idea of what I might be overlooking?

Other Threads