Stored procedure name not working

Bryan,

Good luck,
krf

Bryan Shaw <bs...@amerexenergy.com> wrote in message

news:3c6a9153$1_1@dnews...
> I put down a TStoredProc, DatabaseName set to Database1, click on the
> StoredProcName property, it drops down, I choose the stored procedure
> SPFaxQue;1 from the list.  I cannot set Active to True.  It gives me a
this
> error:

> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Could not find stored
> procedure 'spGetFaxQueueCount;1'.

Re:Stored procedure name not working

This used to work under BDE 5.11 but no longer works with BDE 5.2.  I have
Delphi 6 Enterprise with the update package.  I have MS SQL Server 2000 with
SP2 installed.  I have no specific BDE aliases defined so everything should
be going thru ODBC.

I start a new app, put down a BDE database component (Database1), choose the
ODBC DSN (Amerex) I had defined previously for the alias property, define
the user name and password.  I can connect no problem.

I put down a TStoredProc, DatabaseName set to Database1, click on the
StoredProcName property, it drops down, I choose the stored procedure
SPFaxQue;1 from the list.  I cannot set Active to True.  It gives me a this
error:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Could not find stored
procedure 'spGetFaxQueueCount;1'.

Now, this used to work!  The semicolon separates the name of the stored
procedure and the revision number.

If I remove the semicolon and the number, I can set Active to True and I can
see the parameters.

Why is this a problem?  Because I have tons of stuff where the
StoredProcName has been defined with the revision number.  If I execute a
old program, I get the above error.  I don't want to have to go into every
one of my many projects and fix this.

I could back pedal to 5.11, but 5.2 fixes some things that I need.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Bryan Shaw
Senior Developer
Amerex Energy, Ltd.
bs...@amerexenergy.com

Re:Stored procedure name not working

What in the world is their problem?  This is a 3 year old bug!  Why haven't
they fixed it??  I pay extra for the Enterprise version so I can get SQL
Links!  I need it to control connection stuff.  Client server is the easiest
way to connect to anything.  Last I checked, ADO was buggy!  Even dbExpress
has problems.

What am I supposed to do??  We just upgraded from MS SQL 6.5 to 2000.
Geeez!

Borland!  Get your act together, or you will lose a long time fan!

Bryan Shaw
bs...@amerexenergy.com

Re:Stored procedure name not working

Bryan,

It's a bug with Microsoft's DBLib API, not the BDE.  The API returns stored
procedure name(s) with the ;1, but doesn't support the name (with the ;1) on
the return trip (hence the error).   This gets into a 'who-to-blame'
controversy.  Borland could "fix" this by stripping out the extra
characters, but that would force special code just for MSSQL and what if
Microsoft changes/fixes their API to support the ;1, now the BDE is broke
(you now get an error that the ;1 is missing).
To me, removing the ;1 is a pretty small thing to do.

ADO is also Microsoft, not Borland, and the dbExpress drivers available for
MSSQL use either DBLib or ADO anyway.

We use both the BDE (for existing apps) and ADO (new stuff) and never had
any major problems related to Borland.  Every major issue we've had goes
back to Microsoft and we have found viable workarounds for any problems with
Borland's tools.

Need an example?  Go to: http://www.midwayusa.com
100% Delphi WebBroker (CGI, no third party components), ADO (searching, etc)
and Midas/DataSnap (shopping cart).

Borland, keep up the good work,

> What in the world is their problem?

Re:Stored procedure name not working

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:03:43 -0800, "Bryan Shaw"

<bs...@amerexenergy.com> wrote:
>What in the world is their problem?  This is a 3 year old bug!
>Last I checked, ADO was buggy!
>What am I supposed to do??  We just upgraded from MS SQL 6.5 to 2000.

Use ADO - like it or not, it's the way to go. The dbExpress driver
(third-party) for MS SQL Server also uses ADO (OleDB) for its access
to SQL Server.

Marc

Marc Scheuner                                          Software Engineer
Quest Software Canada                       Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Email: marc.scheu...@quest.com                      http://www.quest.com

Re:Stored procedure name not working

I appreciate the feedback, fellas, but the honest truth is that Microsoft's
API has behaved this way since 1999!  That is 3 YEARS ago.  Therefore, I
task Borland with fixing their SQL Links which I am paying EXTRA for!  They
have know about this issue and have neglected to rectify it.  Borland has to
live in Microsoft's world, not the other way around.

I should not have to change anything in my code.  This code is working just
fine with BDE 5.11.  It is only when I upgrade to 5.2 that it all falls
apart.  One of the hallmarks that Borland likes to brag about is the
backward compatibility of their software.  Obviously, this version of the
BDE is NOT backward compatible.

So, Borland, get your act together.  Please fix this problem!

Re:Stored procedure name not working

Bryan,

   Yea, that is about how long the BDE has been in maintenance mode.  SQL
Links include support for more than just MSSQL and the Enterprise version is
more than just the SQL links.
Unless someone from Borland corrects me, that particular "problem" has been
around since D3 (I don't remember the BDE version).

As a comparison, you go to Sears and buy a Craftsman 1/2 inch wrench.  Take
it home to remove the oil plug that reads on the plug and manual that you
need a 1/2 inch wrench.  Start to remove the plug and find out the wrench is
too big.   You go back to Sears to demand a reason why the wrench is not a
correct 1/2 inch.  The Sears associate then tells you that Ford ran out of
1/2 inch oil plugs, so Ford used metric ones on your particular make/model
of car and all you need is a 9mm wrench.  What do you do?  Buy a 9mm wrench
and be done or demand Sears fix their 1/2 inch wrenches to fit Ford's
incorrectly labeled/documented oil plugs?

Is removing the ;1 a big deal?

> I appreciate the feedback, fellas, but the honest truth is that
Microsoft's
> API has behaved this way since 1999!  That is 3 YEARS ago.  Therefore, I
> task Borland with fixing their SQL Links which I am paying EXTRA for!
They
> have know about this issue and have neglected to rectify it.  Borland has
> live in Microsoft's world, not the other way around.

> I should not have to change anything in my code.  This code is working
just
> fine with BDE 5.11.  It is only when I upgrade to 5.2 that it all falls
> apart.  One of the hallmarks that Borland likes to brag about is the
> backward compatibility of their software.  Obviously, this version of the
> BDE is NOT backward compatible.

> So, Borland, get your act together.  Please fix this problem!

Re:Stored procedure name not working

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:25:20 -0800, "Bryan Shaw"

<bs...@amerexenergy.com> wrote:
>I appreciate the feedback, fellas, but the honest truth is that Microsoft's
>API has behaved this way since 1999!  That is 3 YEARS ago.  Therefore, I
>task Borland with fixing their SQL Links which I am paying EXTRA for!  They
>have know about this issue and have neglected to rectify it.  Borland has to
>live in Microsoft's world, not the other way around.

>I should not have to change anything in my code.  This code is working just
>fine with BDE 5.11.  It is only when I upgrade to 5.2 that it all falls
>apart.  One of the hallmarks that Borland likes to brag about is the
>backward compatibility of their software.  Obviously, this version of the
>BDE is NOT backward compatible.

>So, Borland, get your act together.  Please fix this problem!

GET OVER IT, for crying out loud ! It's not like it's a bug that
cannot be worked around.......... it might be a nuisance, I agree, but
JUST DEAL WITH IT and get on with your developer life! Geezz.......

Marc

Marc Scheuner                                          Software Engineer
Quest Software Canada                       Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Email: marc.scheu...@quest.com                      http://www.quest.com

Re:Stored procedure name not working

Which is better, the standard Delphi ADO or dbExpress?

Re:Stored procedure name not working

When MS stopped supporting DBLib Borland went ADO as MS requested.
I used 5.11 with SQL7 and had to remove the ';1' fron SPs how did yours
work?

> Which is better, the standard Delphi ADO or dbExpress?

For going against MSSQL, ADO is recommended. I believe there's a 3rd party
dbExpress driver for MSSQL but I have no idea how good it is.

--
Wayne Niddery (Logic Fundamentals, Inc.)
RADBooks: http://www.logicfundamentals.com/RADBooks/delphibooks.html

Other Threads