Problem sharing table with BDE 5.1, Win 2000, and Win 98

Hi,

I have a simple "test" application that consistently fails under the
following circumstances:

(The table in question is a simple Paradox level 5 table that is known
good).

I run the app from a Win 98 station.  It opens a table on another Win 98
station on the network (10-BaseT LAN; 4 stations; low/no traffic).  It
simply reads the last record in the table and the data-aware edit box shows
a field from that table to prove the read occurred.

That's always fine.  However, if I leave the app open on Win 98, and I
launch a copy of the same EXE from a Win 2000 station (both have BDE 5.1
installed), the Win 2000 copy pauses for a few seconds while loading, then
issues a "Cannot access directory" error.

Now I know the Win 2000 system has complete access to the shared data
directory on the machine where the data files exists. Here's the worst part:

If I then close both apps, restart the app on the Win 2000 station only, it
runs and reads the record fine!  I can then open the Win 98 app and it will
also read the record (sharing the table) just fine!   That is, only when I
start the app on the Win 98 station first, and try to then run it from the
Win 2000 station does the error occur.  The Win 2000 station *can* run
perfectly if no other station runs the app, and also when it accesses the
app first, then the Win 98 station accesses it second.

Anyone else seen anything like this, or have any clues about what it could
be???  I don't think it's a permissions thing (even though the error message
seems to think so) because the app will run from Win 2000 as long as the
table is not already opened by another station.  Sounds like some funkyness
with sharing and the BDE and Win 2000.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Vinnie Murdico

=============== SOURCE CODE FOR TEST APPLICATION =============
unit Unit1;

interface

uses
  Db, DBTables, StdCtrls, Mask, DBCtrls;

type
  TForm1 = class(TForm)
    Table1: TTable;
    DataSource1: TDataSource;
    DBEdit1: TDBEdit;
    procedure FormActivate(Sender: TObject);
    procedure FormCreate(Sender: TObject);
  private
    { Private declarations }
  public
    { Public declarations }
  end;

var
  Form1: TForm1;

implementation

{$R *.DFM}

procedure TForm1.FormActivate(Sender: TObject);
begin
     Table1.DatabaseName := '\\filesrvr\d\data';
     Table1.TableName := 'atable.db';
     Table1.Active := True;

     Table1.Last;
end;

begin
     Session.NetFileDir := '\\filesrvr\d\data';
end;

end.