XML Based TDataSet ??

Hi,

I am looking for a TDataSet that would read and write XML based data.  Does
such a thing exist?  If it does - any ideas where I might find it?

--
G. Bradley MacDonald

Re:XML Based TDataSet ??

I think that ADOExpress' TADODataSet can do it.  ADOExpress is a VCL
encapsulation of Miscrosoft ActiveX Data Objects technology and comes with
D5 CS or as an add-on for D5 Pro.

Try asking again in the borland.public.delphi.database.ado newsgroup.

Scott

G. Bradley MacDonald wrote in message <81l5am$h...@forums.borland.com>...
>Hi,

>I am looking for a TDataSet that would read and write XML based data.  Does
>such a thing exist?  If it does - any ideas where I might find it?

>--
>G. Bradley MacDonald

Re:XML Based TDataSet ??

Hello Scott,

Yes - you are correct - ADO can do it!! Thanks.

Do you know of another component that would also do this without having to
use ADO?

--
G. Bradley MacDonald

Re:XML Based TDataSet ??

Yes, ADO can save to an XML file. Use the Recordset Save method with
a persist type of adPersistXML.

However, you can not save the results to a stream with the current shipping
version of ADO. ADO 2.5 will support persisting to a stream using the
Recordset Save method. It should ship when Win2K ships.

G. Bradley MacDonald <Bradley_MacDon...@telus.net> wrote in message

> Hello Scott,

> Yes - you are correct - ADO can do it!! Thanks.

> Do you know of another component that would also do this without having to
> use ADO?

> --
> G. Bradley MacDonald

Re:XML Based TDataSet ??

Eddie,

If I understood you correctly - ADO will allow the Dataset to save the data out
to file as XML - but doesn't provide a way for it to be streamed out to a file.

If this is the case - do you know of any other Non-ADO components that allow
info to be saved as XML??

Eddie Shipman wrote:
> Yes, ADO can save to an XML file. Use the Recordset Save method with
> a persist type of adPersistXML.

> However, you can not save the results to a stream with the current shipping
> version of ADO. ADO 2.5 will support persisting to a stream using the
> Recordset Save method. It should ship when Win2K ships.

> G. Bradley MacDonald <Bradley_MacDon...@telus.net> wrote in message
> > Hello Scott,

> > Yes - you are correct - ADO can do it!! Thanks.

> > Do you know of another component that would also do this without having to
> > use ADO?

> > --
> > G. Bradley MacDonald

Re:XML Based TDataSet ??

No, It will allow you to save it as a file on your local drive. I needed
the capability to save the resulting XML to a TStream descendant for use
in sending via http using a http component.

I had to build the XML in memory and then save the resulting XML to a string
and then move the string to a TMemoryStream.

Using ADO, if you take your recordset and use the save method with a
persiststyle
of adPersistXML, the resulting XML from the recordset will be saved to the
filename
passed to the method.

  rs.Save('Filename.xml', adPersistXML);

Keep in mind that the XML that is saved is not fully W3C confrmant as it
uses MS's
version of schemas which are not yet approved. Give it a try. If you have
more
problems, let me know and I will send you a demo..

Good Luck,
Eddie

G. Bradley MacDonald <b...@thoughtshare.com> wrote in message

> Eddie,

> If I understood you correctly - ADO will allow the Dataset to save the
data out
> to file as XML - but doesn't provide a way for it to be streamed out to a
file.

> If this is the case - do you know of any other Non-ADO components that
allow
> info to be saved as XML??

> Eddie Shipman wrote:

> > Yes, ADO can save to an XML file. Use the Recordset Save method with
> > a persist type of adPersistXML.

> > However, you can not save the results to a stream with the current
shipping
> > version of ADO. ADO 2.5 will support persisting to a stream using the
> > Recordset Save method. It should ship when Win2K ships.

> > G. Bradley MacDonald <Bradley_MacDon...@telus.net> wrote in message
> > > Hello Scott,

> > > Yes - you are correct - ADO can do it!! Thanks.

> > > Do you know of another component that would also do this without
having to
> > > use ADO?

> > > --
> > > G. Bradley MacDonald