Network installation problems

I've installed a database using Paradox 5.0 tables onto a NT network.
Every once in a while I get an error when the network locks up during a
table access. I generally have to reboot the connected PC and remove the
lock file from the database directory to get it runnig again. I'm just
wondering if anyone knows the correct procedures when installing on a
network. I've set it up as follows:
- a copy of Idapi on the network and on the local drive.
- the application runs from the network drive
- the 'pdoxusrs.net' file resides on the network drive
- 'Local Share' is on on both the network and the local idapi
- all tables are on the network
Is there anything wrong with that? Also, where does the 'pdoxusrs.net'
file actually come from and what exactly does it contain?

The lockup only occurs on the network installation, the application
works fine on a standalone PC.

Re:Network installation problems

Pius Ott <pto...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>I've installed a database using Paradox 5.0 tables onto a NT network.
>Every once in a while I get an error when the network locks up during a
>table access. I generally have to reboot the connected PC and remove the
>lock file from the database directory to get it runnig again. I'm just
>wondering if anyone knows the correct procedures when installing on a
>network. I've set it up as follows:
>- a copy of Idapi on the network and on the local drive.
>- the application runs from the network drive
>- the 'pdoxusrs.net' file resides on the network drive
>- 'Local Share' is on on both the network and the local idapi
>- all tables are on the network
>Is there anything wrong with that? Also, where does the 'pdoxusrs.net'
>file actually come from and what exactly does it contain?

>The lockup only occurs on the network installation, the application
>works fine on a standalone PC.

Make sure that there is no pdoxusrs.net on any other drive.
Preferably put the pdoxusers.net in its own directory so that you can
see just where it is. (This is set by bdecfg.exe as you probably
know!) The only thing you do which I do not do is to run the
application from the network drive. I am always suspicious of that.
I think each workstation has to use its own copy of Idapi (BDE). Will
it do that if you as you say 'run the program from the network drive'
? My mind boggles sometimes :-).
Dave

d. J. Bullar wrote:
> Pius Ott <pto...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> >I've installed a database using Paradox 5.0 tables onto a NT network.
> >Every once in a while I get an error when the network locks up during a

Running from the network drive is fine, but you don't need a copy of IDAPI
onthe server.  My installation is to place all data, app, help, and network
control files on the server, and place IDAPI and an icon on the client, and
configure each local IDAPI to point to the same network files (BTW: the
pdoxusrs.net file is the network control file, there are two rules for it 1.
all clients must point to the same file, and 2. the path in IDAPI cfg must
start from the root of the network drive.  Also, make sure that this network
control file, the app, and the databases are all in separate directories.)

Good Luck!

Other Threads