Editable Decision Grid

Hello all,

I would like to know if anyone has heard of component that would allow you
to update data in Decision Grid type manner.  I understand that DG is for
aggregate data; but the data I'm displaying is actually flat.  More
descriptively, I'm trying to display data in a "pricing grid" format if you
will.  Two factors determine price, their intersection is the price.  I can
get the display I want using a Decision Grid, but I will have to come up
with a way to give the user the appearance they are actually editing in the
grid, and they find a way to update the single table the grid is based
upon...if anyone has any ideas. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks ,

Rolland

Re:Editable Decision Grid

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999 19:03:52 -0800, "Rolland Zeleznik" <r...@r.com> wrote:
>I would like to know if anyone has heard of component that would allow you
>to update data in Decision Grid type manner.  I understand that DG is for
>aggregate data; but the data I'm displaying is actually flat.  More
>descriptively, I'm trying to display data in a "pricing grid" format if you
>will.  Two factors determine price, their intersection is the price.  I can
>get the display I want using a Decision Grid, but I will have to come up
>with a way to give the user the appearance they are actually editing in the
>grid, and they find a way to update the single table the grid is based
>upon...if anyone has any ideas. I'd appreciate it.

As is the case with the TDBGrid, the TDecisionGrid does not contain data.
Rather, it is the visual portal through which the data supplied by a
dataset component is made available. What you need to do is look at the
dataset component you are using (TDecisionQuery, TQuery, whatever) and use
its cached updates facility. Supply one update object (such as TUpdateSQL)
for each base table to be updated.

For information on using cached updates, in the table of contents for the
Delphi online help, navigate through the topics:

  Developing Database Applications
    Working with cached updates

Steve Koterski                    "My problem lies in reconciling my gross
Technical Publications            habits with my net income."
INPRISE Corporation                             -- Errol Flynn (1909-1959)
http://www.borland.com/delphi

Re:Editable Decision Grid

Thanks for the response.  I can't figure out how to make the Descison
Grid "Editable".  I can see using the cached updates.  In the normal
dbgrid you can set the grid to  r/o and then the I-bar will never be set
in any cells which is how the decision grid is behaiving.   I can't seem
to find a property or method that will let me edit the cell edit box.

Rolland

Other Threads